5.0 out of 5 stars A must read...
I read this book alongside 'Expecting Adam' by the same author.
I would easily consider them to be among the most moving and uplifting books I have ever read.
Published 6 months ago by Faye

2.0 out of 5 stars -
It makes the Jesus Christ Church of Later-day Saints look a lot like a cult based around the structure of The Party (1984), with the "Court of Love", and the tapping telephone lines, and the blind belief in falsehoods, and the pervasive doublespeak; it sounded like something based on a George Orwell novel.

Maybe it really is like this. I don't know...
Published 1 month ago by boots-2000

2.0 out of 5 stars -, 20 Aug 2014

Maybe it really is like this. I don't know.

I struggled to connect to the author, I thought I'd connect to her spiritual struggles (but I didn't), the betrayal of those she trusted (again, I didn't). This book didn't inspire strong feelings for me. It was a surprisingly quick read, which I was grateful for.

I bought this book when it was £3.50 - and I think that was a waste of money, at the time fo writing this review the price is £18.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read..., 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Leaving the Saints: One Child's Story of Survival and Hope (Hardcover)
I read this book alongside 'Expecting Adam' by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative, 21 May 2013
C. Martin - See all my reviews
Just finished this book last night and I really enjoyed it. I have learned what it's like to live as a Mormon and the consequences of leaving it! Martha's family refuse to believe what happened to her as a child and she is effectively ignored and accused of being mentally ill by them. This lady has the courage to speak out and stand up for what she believes and as a female Mormon, it seems that takes guts - which thankfully she has in abundance. I loved her sense of humour and she had me laughing many times throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad and chilling story of growing up in Mormonism, 26 April 2009
J. E. Swenson (Spain) - See all my reviews
This is a very interesting and enlightening book about what it is like to grow up in the bowels of a religious extremism that has warped the lives of millions. I know, because I too suffered a similar fate and can relate well to and corroborate much of the story this woman tells.

Ms. Beck is the daughter of one of Mormonism's premier apologists, historians and spokesmen, and her courage to speak out and to uncover the lies, coercion and mind control that cripple its members very souls is to be lauded.

A very important book. A must read for anyone who is interested and concerned about the dark role of predatory religion and its effects in and on its members lives. Fascinating!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 9 Sep 2007
L. Vila Moronatti (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
I'm totally fascinated by Martha Beck so no wonder I liked the book so much. Amazing facts, beautifully written.

Leaving the Saints: One Child's Story of Survival and Hope
Leaving the Saints: One Child's Story of Survival and Hope by Martha Beck (Hardcover - 2 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01