Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 December 2011
After reading Retribution I was all for giving up on the Dark Hunter world. Thank god I didnt! The Guardian was down right brilliant.

I dont think there was a character in this story I didnt like. Not in a "good vs evil" way. You know sometimes you can read a story and think "oh the heroine was a bit whiny" or "the hero was a sap." Well, with The Guardian there was none of that for me. The plot and sub plots kept me so enthralled I had a hard job putting the book down.

There were some new and old friends in this story which brought a big smile to my face. Would loved to have seen Zarek and Seth up against Noir, that would have been a good fight. There was a hint of payback agreed between Zarek and Solin, so you never know there maybe something in the works to bring them all back again together again.

I do agree the ending was a little rushed and would have loved a chapter or two more, but then I am greedy and when I get into a book I love, I just want more.

I smiled, cried and laughed in all the right places.

Just hope the next in the series is just as good.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2013
Another deeply scarred hero takes the lead in the Dark-Hunter world. Seth has been imprisoned for centuries. The unacknowledged son of the Egyptian God Set, he was abandoned by his mother and sold into servitude to the primal God Noir. Drained of his powers and tortured in every way imaginable, Seth will do practically anything to ensure even a brief reprieve of freedom from his circumstances. He is tasked to torture Solin; who he managed to capture in his dreams, and in turn tortures him in the hopes of locating the mysterious key that Noir wants.

Solin is saying nothing, yet his worst nightmares come true when Dream-Hunter Lydia ventures into Hell to rescue him. When she is caught by Seth, he quickly learns she is Solin's weakness and exploits her to force Solin into getting the key. Yet Seth is quickly taken by Lydia, and risks eternal abuse to keep her safe. Yet as they fall in love, Seth realises just how special Lydia is, and vows to keep her safe at all costs, even if he has to kill her.

Expect the levels of passion and action this author normally produces. Seth is a truly moving character, and Lydia, with her shared experiences, is the first person to prove he is worthy of love. Their individual tales are heartbreaking, but the actions each take to try to safe guard the safety of the other will shatter your heart further. No one writes the kind of tortured heroes SK does, and I love every one of them.
This is the twenty first book in the series and features the Dream Hunter Lydia and Seth The Guardian/Demi God. The majority of the book takes place in Azmodea which is Noir and Azura's realm. Seth is a slave to Noir and Azura since being sold to them when he was a child. Despite being a Demi-God he is kept without his powers by Noir and Azura as they feed from him to take his powers to boost their own. Seth has been tortured by the pair for thousands of years and has been released from his torture in order to obtain the location of the key to Olympus from Solin (who has made mini appearances in several other books in the series)who is the only person who knows the location of the key. Noir and Azura want to use the key to gain access to Olympus and kill the Olympian Gods and take their powers. Lydia enters Azmodea to try to free Solin as he is very special to her but whilst trying to free Solin she is captured by Seth and held as leverage for Solin to find the key and bring it to him for Noir and Azura. Whilst prisoner of Seth's, Lydia discovers he isn't the monster he appears and starts to have feelings for him. Seth having been tortured for thousands of years and having never known a gentle touch or kind word soon finds himself falling for Lydia. Can their blossoming romance develop and if so can Lydia help to save Seth from Noir and Azura's clutches?

I really enjoyed this book and managed to finish it over a couple of days, it looks like Sherrilyn is back to writing really good stories and this book has opened up further character's such as Jaden which I assume she will pick up and write about in future. If you liked any of the Dream Hunter books in the series then I think you will definitely like this.
on 10 July 2012
I am a fan of the Dark-Hunter world. Like all fans i have my favourites. Seth is a good character, but i felt the book lacked the page turner, burn the midnight oil factor. For me at least. A new word cropped up in this book and Retribution..Gah!...sorry but this bugged me. Alot. I know an authors work is theirs and theirs alone. But die-hard fans get a real sense of the World created, and can smell a plot failing, a flaw, a mile off. In other words, we can tell when the writer is off key, or is rushing to deadline. And, it is only fair to feel a little let down. Because SK's books gave me some of the best reads to escape into since 2010, i will give this book 3 stars. Out of fondness and respect for SK. Seth and Lydia, just lacked the spark of earlier novels.
on 1 February 2014
I love the Dark Hunter series and I cannot find words to say how much I enjoy reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books. My advice -read one and make your own mind up!! I don't think you can fail to like.
on 20 July 2013
This book was great, the characters were great,the story sucked you in and i read it in one sitting. The only thing it lacked was the passion SK's stories normally have or i would definitely rated this a 5*. It was very emotional reading about Seth and his torture at the hands of noir and that he never gave up even after all that was done to him. Lydias character was great it was nice how their relationship blossomed. I would have liked to have learned more about the key and how it came to be, overall this was a very good read it is up there with the best of her books even though it was a bit lacking in the passion department.
on 18 April 2012
As ever Sherrilyn Kenyon doesn't disappoint. Fast and furious from the go, with characters that you can empathize with, villains dark and dangerous, gods and demi-gods, daemons and heroes all mixed up in a sexy soup. If you enjoy the genre then you will have a feast. I have just finished reading The Guardian and can't wait to dive back into the Dark Hunter world. I note that this is book 21 of the series, fortunately I have books 19 and 20 waiting for me. Thank you Amazon for providing both my Kindle (the best purchase I have ever made)and all the books I have waiting for me, yum!
on 14 September 2013
After reading Retribution, my enjoyment of the DH series was at a low,so I went into this book a little less enthusiastic than usual. I'm glad I did pick it up though. Seth had been hooked from the minute he was introduced - his whole persona and history was written in such a way that it kept me intrigued. The way he interacted with Lydia was brilliant, at times heartbreakingly sad and at others really really funny. Sherrilyn managed to combine a damaged man with a vicious warrior perfectly in Seth and he now ranks up there with my other DH favourites.
on 30 September 2013
Sherrilyn Kenyon is one brilliant writer, she keeps you interested throughout the storyline and keeps you guessing. I always love her books.
on 2 December 2013
What a great idea for a story line. Love it I thought each way the book went it was fun. I could not put it down