5.0 out of 5 stars A light in the darkness.....
Published on 18 May 2010 by Mr. N. EVANS

1.0 out of 5 stars unfortunate choice
Bought in error as I had intended to buy Dark Night of the Soul. I know from reading other reviews that people have found Thomas Moore insightful, spiritual & helpful, however I found his writings trite & clichéd. To each his own
Published 3 months ago by RosiC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A light in the darkness....., 18 May 2010
Mr. N. EVANS (Brighton) - See all my reviews
I'm a 23 year old who suffers bouts of deep depression - sometimes it feels like there is no way out. I was in therapy all of last year and finished a month ago. This was one of the books that came highly recommended by my therapist, so I thought I'd give it a go. When you feel depressed, it's hard to convince yourself that a book can help you - it's almost a pride thing - "Pffft - no one can help me, no one understands, so what good is a book going to do"!

However, this was just what I needed at that time, and it really opened my eyes to my condition. It comforted me and made me feel normal again - and although it didn't "cure me", it definitely put the wheels of recovery in motion.

Everyone will be able to find a section of the book that is relevant to them - I was a depressed, alcoholic musician that lacked faith in my own musical ability, and at the same time thought I was an undiscovered genius. Yes - there was an even a section about that specifically!!!

There are a lot of self help books out there that promise to rid you of depression forever, but I personally don't think they are helpful or realstic. This is a very spiritual and philosophical approach that will guide you through those dark nights of the soul, and teach you the tools to help deal with your condition.

This book really did change my life. It helped me to stop looking for happiness in all the wrong places, and whenever I'm having a bad spell this book is always within reach to help me out the other side.

PS - I'm aware this review makes me sound like a hippy who sells incense on street corners. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Must Read This!!!, 26 Dec. 2004
This book says it all. Thomas Moore's sensitivity, perception, humility and depth makes this work the most magical piece of literature! He explains life's entirety! His views about how to care for those dark times and heaviness that many of us experience are so insightful! Instead of being scared of the dark and running away from the shadows (and then trying to cure this "condition", something which most of us have been taught to do in society these days) he embraces them and shows us where the magic, myth and the deepest, most transforming spiritual energy hides: in the darkest abyss of nothingness. Definitely read this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightenment out of understanding the dark, 22 Aug. 2012
This book is truly enlightening. As a therapist for more than 20 years and being an eternal optimist, this has answered so many questions and enabled me to help others to an even higher degree. I had studied Jung extensively and embraced and taught the shadow side but Thomas Moore has an incredibly elegant way of introducing and actually almost seducing you to be brave enough to enter this level of understanding that is liberating. This book is now in my top ten best reads ever - and my library is very extensive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically useful and comforting, 12 Nov. 2006
I found this book thoughtful, wide-ranging, well written and extremely useful when I first read it. Although I generally don't read this type of book in one go, I made an exception! I have returned to it often since and it always helps me gain perspective. Definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darks Nights of The Soul, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Dark Nights Of The Soul: A guide to finding your way through life's ordeals (Paperback)
What can i say about the brilliant author Thomas Moore? I discovered his work in 2005 whilst studying for my Masters degree in Psychotherapy. I was absolutely gob smacked about the way he was able to articulate soul meaning with such depth, creativity and intimacy. I've shared his work with friends who have brought several titles of his work. I myself use Care of the Soul has one of my everyday life's reference.
In respect to Dark Nights of The Soul, it has truly been enlightening to me and has woken up and refreshed my soul! I have to say that I am truly in awe of how deep he is able to reach in and pull out what I can only describe as pure 'genius' nuggets of true life experiences and insights.
Thomas Moore undoubtedly has a natural writing gift and I thank him for giving me more depth and understanding about the way I view myself, others and the world around me. Its been and still is an absolute honour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and valuable, 29 Jun. 2012
A. Gothorp - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is not a book on depression. Sure it touches on the subject, but more than that it leads you to think deeply about your moods and value your darker thoughts. Moore suggests that we may choose to embrace the dark side, as it can give us greater perspective and make us a deeper more thoughtful and interesting person.
Moore presents a persuasive argument for trying to be more creative and using the arts or writing to express your feelings. He cites numerous examples of how truly memorable art has come from the minds of troubled souls. I particularly liked the sections dealing with anger, I thought the insights offered here were very perceptive and useful.
But wait, wait until Thomas Moore describes the incident with his grandfather, and read what follows. Suddenly his prose becomes more poetic, his descriptions succinct and his mixed feelings of pain and beauty shine through. Here Moore is truly in touch with a darkness in his own soul and I began to understand and connect with the author.
The book got even better towards the end. I loved the concepts of scintilla and numinosity, and these ideas encourage me to read more on philosophy. In all an unusual book - that tries to stop you becoming a clone and following the masses, but instead thinking more of your own Raison d'être, finding your own way, and becoming proud of your individuality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A spiritual view of depression, 24 Oct. 2014
One of the best books I have ever read. It has helped me both in a personal and professional level as a therapist. This one came from my university tutor in times of a challenging depression and it has provided me with a greater understanding of what was really going on and the way to true healing. I found it highly encouraging and therapeutic to understand the spiritual aspect of experiencing depression. To be encouraged to sit in the darkness and stop struggling, accepting what is now, and then really finding the greatest gems there. I will never forget the teachings of this book and poem. I would recommend it to anyone who is going through the dark night of the soul and to anyone who is working with people with depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Night of the Soul, 30 April 2011
I bought this book recently to help me as I was experiencing some
of what I describe as dark periods. Have experienced them before
but wanted to understand more of what they meant. I found Thomas
Moore's writings honest, thoughful, helpful and insightful. I
believe he has a wealth of experience and understanding of the
human condition which we all live through. I have three of his books
and would reccomend this book to anyone who wants to honestly explore,
understand and to help themselves through their own personal life's journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance on a dark night, 19 Feb. 2015
This is one of the most helpful books I have ever read and I have read some on self-help and such subjects. Thomas Moore writes things you would never believe could be true, of any help, then, you think about them and realise what a wise man he is.
Not a book for the faint hearted or those trying to convince themselves they are ok, or doing it right and everyone must love them. Read this and have your life turned over. It's okay to be you. Forget self-help and being chirpy all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting view, 10 Jan. 2014
Anonymous (UK) - See all my reviews
I like how this book has opened-up my perception about painful things. It's worth it to just get you to open up your view of things rather than stay stuck in victim mentality.

I don't like that at times the author discusses Greek mythology and found myself skimming over some parts of this. Of course, that's personal preference, others may like the comparison.

I really liked the book overall and would recommend it to friends - especially those who may feel a bit down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›