Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2012
5 stars - a clever book that has kept me hooked from the first page to the final unexpected twist.
On the face of it, Sister is just another "who dunnit" and "why dunnit". Older sister Beatrice, living in New York, receives a phone call to say that her sister has gone missing, so she returns to London to try and find out what happened to her. It soon becomes apparent that there will be no happy reunion. Beatrice believing that her sister has been the victim of foul play, pursues her own enquiries into what has happened when the Police don't accept her suspicions. The story is told mostly in the form of a letter from Beatrice to her sister, and it is told in two time frames, one looking back at the events, and the other how events appeared at the time. If that sounds complicated, don't let it put you off - the story is easy to follow and well written with some poignant passages that are almost heart breaking to read. For me, it is the writing that puts sister above a run of the mill mystery - the mystery itself and its resolution I wasn't entirely convinced by. The "twist" at the end that other reviewers refer to worked quite well for me, although I had my suspicions from just over half way through. I won't say more than that because I wouldn't want to spoil this book for you. It's definitely one that is worth reading, I found it quite a page-turner and beautiful too. I shall definitely be looking out for Rosamund Lupton's next book.
on 12 April 2015
I found this book very long winded even headache inducing, The idea was quite good but there was so much lovey dovey sister feelings within it, the murder story line kept getting lost to the point of me skipping pages. I wouldnt recommend to anyone
on 18 February 2011
I really tried to like this book but it bored me.I kept thinking "something dramatic will happen in a moment"...but it didn't and I gave up after 116 pages.I really don't understand the hype,did nothing for me at all and I gave up when it went from tedious to unbelievable.I did try but when you find yourself looking at the reading group notes and author Q&A rather than going back to the story it's time to give it up.
on 1 March 2012
It started well but quickly became boring. The older sister came across as quite snobby and well this is a chick book through and through.
on 14 November 2012
I read the reviews on this book and it sounded really good. Its about a girl who's sister goes missing and she goes to find her. It would be good if it wasnt for the fact that the girl searching for her sister keeps having these inane conversations with her sister, obviously in her head. I read a couple of chapters and couldnt stand it anymore. I am giving this book away. Worst book I have ever bought!
on 28 October 2010
Not sure I gave this book a fair trial. It needs to be read in longer sessions, and I wasn't able to do this. Didn't really relate to any of the characters, so did not empathise well with them. The pace improved towards the end.
on 5 September 2012
I enjoyed this book, but felt the story was was
dragged out, it was recommened to me as a must read
but was not for me.
on 9 June 2012
A story full of suspense and from the beginning one wants to keep reading until the end. It is an easy and relaxing book to read.
on 16 April 2012
I bought this following the reviews, however this was just not for me. It is written as the author speaking to the sister, and constantly referring to you (the sister) and not me. Confusing an odd approach to writing and then it flits all over the place and i'm halfway through and have guessed the ending with all these little snippets.