5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
This book belongs to one of my favourite genres (psychological thriller with a twist) and so, because I read so many, I am particularly fussy. Well, I could not have been more pleased with it. It has absolutely captured me from the very first line to the very last one. An engaging read written in letter form, from a sister to another.

Beatrice lives in New...
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by I LOVE BOOKS

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly four stars
Like many other reviewers, I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this novel. It was exciting (not thrilling, but exciting is enough for me), the character of Beatrice believable and sympathetic, the idea original. But oh dear! That "twist"! It was a terrible let-down. A twist is fine - in fact, often it's a good device - but it must never leave the reader feeling...
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by Frances Stott

‹ Previous | 1 2 367 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Overblown, 1 Dec 2010
Potterywhizz (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Starts out well with credible characters created in Tess and her missing sister but first the rather overheated imagery became a little irritating and then the story became frankly tedious. The plot was dragged out way beyond its natural length and aside of the heroine running about suspecting every man in the story of murdering her sister nothing much happens. I also felt that modern forensic methods are a great deal more capable of telling the difference between murder and suicide than the author appears to believe. The ending didn't do it for me and the sudden announcement that one character was in fact invented as a story vehicle by the lead character just made me grit my teeth in exasperation. I felt it was one of the books that benefits on amazon from a lot of hype but a good deal less substance. Don't approach it with the very high expectations roused by all the 5-star reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars A good start, but rather an amateur effort., 21 Oct 2010
Penelope Simpson "penny simpson" (dorset, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Annoyingly over-hyped. I cannot understand why it has been so lauded and even serialised on the BBC.

The writer shows a lot of promise, but after the breathless pace of the first few chapters, she, and we, lose the plot. Characterisation is terribly poor. We dislike the murdered sister because she is simply too good to be true and all the male characters, with the exception of Simon, are virtually identical. The narrator seems to fancy all of them and none of them, and the way the reader is sent down false plotlines is unconvincing.

And there are irritating holes in the facts. Toilets in Hyde Park that nobody goes in for a week - that's just daft. And, if they're derelict, wouldn't they be locked up? The killer is obvious from about halfway through and the reader becomes annoyed that they are so clearly being played with.

I do think it's an interesting premise but I'm surprised that the eminent publishers, Curtis Brown, didn't put a bit more work into persuading the author to polish this book.

Definitely disappointing and I finished it with a definite sense of irritation which I felt the writer shared.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime fiction for those who don't like crime fiction!, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I devoured this book in one day, which is obviously a mighty good sign.

I would describe this book as a Crime fiction novel, for people who don't like crime fiction. Like me! Usually I shy away from crime writing, my feelings on the matter being that I read enough scary, harrowing things in newspapers to really want to spend my entertainment/quality time filling my head with fictional gruesome goings ons. BUT, I was recommended this book on amazon based on my previous purchases and thought I'd have a wild card when ordering some books this month.

The story starts off with a mystery - Beatrices sister has gone missing, so she flees New York back home to London to hunt for her. When Beatrices sisters body is found, it is shrugged off as suicide. But Beatrice knows her sister, and knows that something more sinister is at play. The book covers multiple themes:
1. Crime- the twists and turns and red herrings cleverly keep you guessing right up to the final chapter as to the truth of the death and who are the victims/who are the criminals
2. Family - the sisterly bond is so well written and the love between the two girls is so truthfully described. I won't lie, this book has me in floods of tears twice, perhaps as I can empathise with having a close sister.
3. Science - the science element of the book is cleverly weaved in. It's not baffling with information, but enough to feel you have learnt something new by the time you have finished the book, which is a nice addition.

All in all, I really feel like this book has it all. Strikingly, realistically written and completely gripping. It is written in rather an odd narrative structure which I found slightly off putting and strange at first, but there is a point in the book that you realise this tool is for a very legitimate reason and it makes you want to return to the start and reread armed with your fresh slant.

I can't believe I have to wait until 2011 for a new book by this author!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not as good as I'd been led to expect, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This is a fairly dark and emotional book about the relationship and differences between two sisters: the older and more sensible Beatrice, and the younger and more carefree Tess, who is pregnant and has been reported missing.

I read Sister quickly, in just a couple of sittings, keen to find out what had happened to Tess - but along the way I found some of the characters rather unbelievable, particularly some of the 'professional' medical staff who I just can't imagine behaving or communicating in the way depicted. There are also sections where the novel seemed to flag a bit, and I found myself trying to race through those sections towards a more interesting part.

Although overall I enjoyed this book, I was left feeling a bit short-changed. I think that's partly down to one of the twists at the end, and partly down to over-inflated expectations of the book. With so many glowing reviews of Sister, combined with the label 'psychological thriller', I was set up for a read that the book just didn't quite deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault, Dear Reader, Is in Our Hype, Not In Our Author!, 21 Aug 2011
F. S. L'hoir (Irvine, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I found Rosamund Lupton's book compelling, from beginning to end, and I had the misfortune to read the "Americanised" [i.e.: Americanized] version first for Amazon.com Vine [Not only was vocabulary changed [e.g. 'torch' to 'flashlight', the meaning of the former being perfectly clear from the context, but also grammar and spelling.] When I read a British novel, I want to feel that I am actually in Britain, not California!

Confident that every word of the author's prose--in the original version--was crucial to appreciating the ending of the novel fully, I had the UK edition sent to me, and my suspicions were confirmed. Ms. Lupton has crafted her novel very carefully, introducing vocabulary and imagery so adroitly that their significance will be noticed only subliminally by the reader who is engrossed in the narrative. Only a second reading will reveal the richness of her lexical techniques, which verge on the poetic.

Some readers have lamented the fragmentary division of her story; while this device might derive from her experience as a screenwriter, fragmentation is essential to the novel's outcome; and if the ending has been left ambiguous in the minds of some readers, why must a book have an ending that dots all the i's and crosses all the t's? (Let's leave pat endings to Hollywood!)

The wide range and division of ratings on this website may stem from readers' expectations, and these have been displaced not by the author but by the publishers and the media. I do wish that publishers and newspapers would stop using the marketing ploy of comparing a contemporary author to a previous famous author. Such a stratagem serves only to disappoint readers who are passionate about the novels of, say, Daphne du Maurier (In no way does "Sister" resemble any of the novels of Daphne du Maurier--and I have read them all.).

Another problem lies in the categorisation of the novel as 'crime fiction' or 'thrillers.' Passionate readers of these genres (and I confess to being one) are bound to be disappointed if the scenario does not follow familiar patterns. I enjoyed "Sister" because it broke conventional patterns, but I realise that the breaking--or even flouting--of convention might not be everyone's cup of tea. In my opinion, Rosamund Lupton's "Sister" transcends the boundaries of categorisation. It deserves to be read and appreciated according to its own considerable merits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful until the 'final' section, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
As I read this book I was enthralled, and had become really excited by the discovery of a 'new and exciting writer' that really lived up to the hype. I found the style of writing (i.e. Beatrice addressing her dead sister) easy to get on with, and very innovative. Along the way I did find some parts of it a little confusing and over-written, but that didn't distract me too much. I fully intended to give it 'five stars' and recommend it to friends. However, when it came to the 'final' section and conclusion I just couldn't keep up. It was so over-detailed and confusing I just lost the plot. The author says at the end that the 'hospital' sections were easy as her husband is a hospital consultant, but to me they were the one thing that led the credibility of the story down. Just too exaggerated and unprofessional to be believed. If the facts are in the experience of the author's husband then the NHS is in a dire state.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Oct 2010
Sukie (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this after the blurb ("A masterpiece of psychological suspense", "a major new talent") and initially found it an interesting read: Beatrice flies back from her safe, carefully controlled life in New York when she hears that her younger, more free-spirited sister Tess has gone missing in London. Beatrice is frustrated by the police's slowness to get to the truth and decides to take matters into her own hands, launching into her own personal investigation of her sister's disappearance, and discovering secrets about Tess - and truths about herself - along the way.
So far, so good. But it really isn't a masterpiece of psychological suspense - in fact, I found it rather plodding and dull at times, with pages and pages going by without an awful lot happening. By the midway point I had lost interest, and I found the structure, with the time flipping between past and present, confusing and distracting rather than clever. As for the ending... well, I read on just to find out how the author wrapped things up but the twist didn't work for me, in fact it just made me feel cross.
It's not all bad - there is some great writing and observational detail, I did believe in the bond between the sisters and I liked the character of Tess. It's all the other stuff that got in the way for me - the convoluted plot, the irritating past/present switching, and some two-dimensional characters (ie Simon and Emilio). Not bad, but not a masterpiece by any means.

5.0 out of 5 stars SISTER, 19 Jun 2011
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book. It tells of the harrowing and emotional journey that Beatrice takes when her sister Tess goes missing. I think this book is extremely well written and thought provoking, anyone who has a sibling especially a younger sister as I do will find you cannot help but empathise with Bea. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written and moving story, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
I was looking for something different in the crime/mystery/thriller genre. The title of this book appealed to me at first, having an older sister myself. I then started to read the preview chapters and was completely drawn in. I downloaded the book onto my kindle immediately as I wanted to continue to read this intriguing story. I didn't exactly finish it in one sitting but it was pretty close.

I'm not going to say what the story is about because other people have already done that. What I will say is that I found it deeply affecting and moving. It's one of those stories that will stay with me for a long time and will make me question what it is to be a sister, mother and daughter.

If you are looking for a fast paced, conventional, police procedural or thriller, then 'Sister' might not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a beautifully written thought provoking and intriguing story, then I can thoroughly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The plot has logic and credibility....., 28 Jun 2012
Wynne Kelly "Kellydoll" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
"Psychological thriller" is not a genre I would normally choose but this was a Reading Group selection. At the beginning I was put off by the slightly clumsy structure of a young woman recounting a story through writing a letter to her sister. However after a few pages I settled down for a gripping read.

Bea returns from New York because her sister Tess is missing and pregnant. When her body is discovered in Hyde Park Bea is not happy with any of the explanations offered and sets out to find out what has really happened. It's a fairly complex story involving Tess's affair with an Art Professor who is unwilling to admit he is the father of her child and a clinic carrying out dubious drug trials. Bea becomes more and more embroiled in searching for the truth and alienates both her mother and her partner.

As the story develops there are hints about Bea's own illness. Has she been surreptitiously drugged? Could she be pregnant?

The tension grows throughout the book and the ending is both surprising and shocking. It is a tribute to the writer that the plot had both logic and credibility.

A surprisingly good read......

‹ Previous | 1 2 367 | Next ›

Sister
Sister by Rosamund Lupton (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)