5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
This book belongs to one of my favourite genres (psychological thriller with a twist) and so, because I read so many, I am particularly fussy. Well, I could not have been more pleased with it. It has absolutely captured me from the very first line to the very last one. An engaging read written in letter form, from a sister to another.

Beatrice lives in New...
Published on 21 Feb. 2011 by ELI (Italy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing but what a plot!
Published on 17 Nov. 2010 by jem

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)

Beatrice lives in New York with her fiancé. Her mother rings her up one day delivering shattering news: her younger sister Tess has vanished. The ties between sisters are very strong despite the geographical distance and of course Beatrice hops on the first plane out to London. The circumstances of Tess' disappearance are multi-layered with obscure details and Beatrice is determined to find Tess no matter what. Little does she know, boarding that plane, of the journey she will have to face, uncovering some horrible, painful and frightening facts that will forever change everybody's life.

This book deserves a high praise because it is not only engaging, it has a certain psychological depth that is seldom felt on fast-paced reads, no matter how entertaining. The vocabulary is stylish and cultured and it perfectly conveys emotions and feelings, entwined with the chilly, suspenseful atmosphere that permeates the story. It also defines the deep, deep love between the two sisters. Piercingly touching.

Thumbs up for debut writer Rosamund Lupton!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful Debut Novel, 10 Sept. 2010
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This book is one of the best detective stories I have ever read. It is a story about an older sister trying to find out what happened to her younger sister whilst reflecting on how much we ever really know someone.

The pace is fast, it is a cliche but this book deserves the accolade a real page-turner. On her quest to find the truth Beatrice finds herself retracing Tess's steps meeting and suspecting everyone Tess has been in contact with.

The best thing about this book was that it kept you turning right to the very last page.

I would recommend this book to everyone, simply fantastic and I hope Rosumund Lupton has more to show us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant thriller debut, 2 Sept. 2010
F. Blunt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Taught plotting, moving story and wonderful characterisation. SISTER is a nuanced and gripping read. As Beatrice takes the first flight home from New York upon learning of her sister's disappearance we follow her down the rabbit hole of her sister's life. As Beatrice starts to pull together the strands of Tess's life she becomes mired in the same danger and could well face the same consequences. What is most powerful about this story is the writer's understanding of what we will do for love and what extremes we will go to to protect and avenge those closest to us. For anyone with a sister, brother, parent or child.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing but what a plot!, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I think that Rosamund Luptop is obviously a very talented writer, and its that quality that keeps you reading to the end. I found it slightly annoying the way the narration switched between giving a witness statement to someone at the CPS and a letter written to her sister. I also found the plot a bit shaky with a bit of a Scoobydoo ending. You are left with the feeling that this book could have been so much better than it actually was. I would definitely read other books by this author as she is really talented. It didn't surprise me that she has previously worked on screenplays, that does come across in her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sister, 29 Jun. 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
After receiving a phone call to say her sister Tess is missing Beatrice immediately drops everything and flies back to England to search for her. The sisters have always been close but as Beatrice starts to investigate Tess's life she realises that she may not have known as much about Tess as she thought she did.

Sister is a fantastic debut novel and one that has me very excited to see what Rosamund Lupton comes up with next. I don't want to go into the plot in too much detail because I would hate to give spoilers, the story is one that needs to be savored and I want others to enjoy peeling back the layers to uncover the mystery for themselves. I have already read over 100 books this year but Sister blew my mind and was by far my favourite read out of all of them. I was gripped from practically the first page and resented the fact that I had to put it down even for a few minutes.

The story is told from Beatrice's point of view in the format of a letter to her missing sister and we gradually find out more about both of them and Beatrice's search for the truth about what happened to Tess. Beatrice isn't the most sympathetic character at the beginning, I felt her fear and grief for her sister but didn't particularly like her. She is quite uptight and definitely snobbish, looking down on her sister and her friends because they don't live up to her high expectations. In a lot of ways Beatrice and Tess are complete opposites but they always loved each other and were very close. As the story progresses and Beatrice spends more time following Tess's footsteps you start to see a real change come over her and she becomes much more likable.

Rosamund Lupton managed to pull me completely into the story so I felt every emotion Beatrice goes through as if it was my own. As the plot unravels I was pulled in so many different directions never quite sure where the story would take me next and the twist at the end just about blew my mind. It was a bit like watching the film The Sixth Sense for the first time, not because the endings are similar but because the ending makes so many other things throughout the story suddenly become clear. Sister is a beautifully written emotional journey that I wish I could erase from my mind just so I could have the joy of reading it for the first time all over again! A highly recommended read and one you shouldn't miss out on.

4.0 out of 5 stars The plot has logic and credibility....., 28 Jun. 2012
Wynne Kelly "Kellydoll" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
"Psychological thriller" is not a genre I would normally choose but this was a Reading Group selection. At the beginning I was put off by the slightly clumsy structure of a young woman recounting a story through writing a letter to her sister. However after a few pages I settled down for a gripping read.

Bea returns from New York because her sister Tess is missing and pregnant. When her body is discovered in Hyde Park Bea is not happy with any of the explanations offered and sets out to find out what has really happened. It's a fairly complex story involving Tess's affair with an Art Professor who is unwilling to admit he is the father of her child and a clinic carrying out dubious drug trials. Bea becomes more and more embroiled in searching for the truth and alienates both her mother and her partner.

As the story develops there are hints about Bea's own illness. Has she been surreptitiously drugged? Could she be pregnant?

The tension grows throughout the book and the ending is both surprising and shocking. It is a tribute to the writer that the plot had both logic and credibility.

A surprisingly good read......

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...but., 1 Nov. 2010
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I would lie if I said I did not enjoy reading 'Sister' a lot. I did. For a first novel it is massively impressive. But yes there is a but. While the (past)relationship between the two sisters rings very true and is very beautiful too, the alternate narrative between present and past feels sometimes awkward and not quite 'flowing'. Without revealing too much of the suspense I wish to say that quite soon you guess that there is something too odd in the unfolfing story to be really what it seems. But yes maybe that is what the author wants you to feel. So the 'twist' does not come as such a big surprise, but then the 'resolution' of the whole conundrum is really a bit far-fetched and incredible. Personnally I did not believe a split second in the plot explanation but that's fiction after all and can a fictitious story be blamed for not ringing true enough ? dont know. The misdirections were not very well done either but there is no point in finding faults afer all, in what is a thoroughly enjoyable novel-thriller. Good escapist read and no doubt the second one by R. Lupton will be even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much more than the average thriller., 10 Dec. 2011
Steven (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book.

it is unusual to find a crime fiction novel with such richly drawn characters and such beautiful prose. Many reviewers have commented that Beatrice (the narrator) is quite an unlikable character and, indeed, this was my view throughout the first quarter/half of this book. through her search for her sister however, we see a different side to her as she becomes more like her younger sister and, with it, becomes much easier to empathise with. I found all of the other characters to be well-drawn and believable and like Beatrice, I became suspicious of nearly everyone she meets.

the structure of this book is unusual but works wonderfully well and the final twist at the end, although I saw it coming a few chapters earlier worked extremely well. I also identified the killer with some way to go, but this in no way diminished the book for me and Beatrice's journey to find out the truth remained utterly captivating.

the book is so much more than a simple crime story, exploring in such depth as it does relationships, particularly those between two sisters.

3.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating read, 15 Feb. 2011
Donal Phipps (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
If the beginning was a beautifully poised, engaging start, the ending was a blunt and unoriginal soap opera.

I was initially sucked in to this book by the sensitive, descriptive prose and a clever, compelling plotline and interesting characters which were very well crafted in the first few chapters.

Sadly, by halfway through, there was a real drop in quality. I get the impression that the majority of care and attention went into crafting those early chapters. Plot development became formulaic and unoriginal, as did the character development. This cheapened a very promising beginning and frustrated me.

I think that 'Sister' is a book to be compared with 'The Lovely Bones', 'The Time Traveller's Wife', etc, and it suffers by comparison. It covers some potentially profound and complex emotional issues but, in my opinion, lacked in execution and didn't deliver the satisfactory conclusion which my emotional involvement and curiosity deserved.

A one or two star review seems harsh to me, since it's still a well written book, it just didn't live up to it's early promise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly four stars, 8 Nov. 2010
Frances Stott (Devizes, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Like many other reviewers, I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this novel. It was exciting (not thrilling, but exciting is enough for me), the character of Beatrice believable and sympathetic, the idea original. But oh dear! That "twist"! It was a terrible let-down. A twist is fine - in fact, often it's a good device - but it must never leave the reader feeling cheated, as this one did. It rendered much of the novel valueless and unauthentic, and, I think, spoilt the novel as a whole. This is such a shame, because the novel has the makings of a really excellent read. The sad thing is that I suspect it was the twist that (at least partly) gave the writer the idea in the first place. But it simply didn't work for me.

Sister
Sister by Rosamund Lupton (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2010)