4.0 out of 5 stars My ten things I loved about this
Review taken from my Blog post (#36) after borrowing the book from the local library:

Always a pleasure to read Julia Quinn, but here are 10 things I loved about this book:

Full of witt
Smart
Savvy buxom heroine
A completely adorable and funny hero
A twist in the tale
Bumbling fool who gets his comeuppance.
A wonderful...
Published 16 months ago by Toodles Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable Quinn style but not one of her best
If like me you are a Julia Quinn fan you will HAVE to read this book because you will have already devoured all her other books, but I didn't think that this book was that great, compared to some of her other novels.
Published on 4 Jun 2010 by Pam Dhinsa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable Quinn style but not one of her best, 4 Jun 2010
Pam Dhinsa "Book Girl" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
The plot is centred around Sebastion Grey who we have met before and is a twenty-nine year old gorgeous 'rake'. Sebastion will become an earl if his old and rather horrid uncle (the current earl) dies without producing a male heir.
Enter, Annabel Winslow, the oldest of eight children who is in London for the season. She must find a rich husband so that she can support her family. The Earl soon sets his sights on her as a potential wife, who will give him the heir he so needs. She in return would be able to support her family, but she is repulsed by this lecherous old man.
However when Sebastion and Annabel meet, they have an obvious attraction with each other but things can never be simple in love.
ISSUES KEEPING LOVERS APART:Annabel needs a rich husband and Sebastion appears not to be that wealthy, Sebastion himself is in no hurry to marry, and add to this the fact that Sebastion and his Uncle can't stand the sight of each other but Annabel's grandparents are friends of the earl and back his proposal.
What follows is entertaining but not that exciting, I found it a little slow and the romance between Sebastion and Annabel was not that convincing. The scene near the end with the Uncle in the bedroom was a little too farce-like. Maybe I've just read too many of these Quinn regency novels and I'm getting too picky...if you read this as one of your first Julia Quinn novels you'll probably enjoy it alot more than someone like me. I've been waiting for a book that is as good as her brilliant 'When he was Wicked', this is not!

4.0 out of 5 stars My ten things I loved about this, 21 Mar 2013

Full of witt
Smart
Savvy buxom heroine
A completely adorable and funny hero
A twist in the tale
Bumbling fool who gets his comeuppance.
A wonderful grandmother
Gossips a plenty
A great set of sub-characters
It made me smile

For me a 4 **** Star read, she is so easy to get along with, I want Miss Quinn as a BFF!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, witty, and terrific characters., 7 Jun 2010
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Set in London, 1822. Annabel Winslow is staying with her grandparents, Lord and Lady Vickers, in London for The Season. She hopes to find a husband rich enough to bring financial support for her family and ease her mother's burdens. Her grandparents are determined she would wed the Earl of Newbury, a horrid, portly man who is actively seeking a bride to beget an heir with. Lord Newbury's son died a year prior. Unless a new heir is born, Lord Newbury's title and wealth would go to Sebastian Grey, the nephew he deeply despises. Since Lord Newbury is in his late sixties, he has no time to lose. Of course, Annabel knows the slimy old man is interested in her because the females of her family have all proven extremely fertile. It has become a jest among the mature gentry that the birds begin singing whenever Annabel walks by. If only Lord Newbury's gaze did not make her skin crawl.

Sebastian Grey is not eager for his uncle's title or wealth, though the money would be convenient. Most believe Sebastian has little money to call his own. However, unknown by even his closest friends, Sebastian has a secret income. Due to his insomnia, caused by memories of being a sniper in the war, Sebastian writes outrageous gothic novels. They are published pseudonymously and over the last few years have become all the rage.

When Sebastian meets Annabel, he has no idea that she is his uncle's latest victim...uh wife-to-be. Annabel becomes the object of both their affections. Soon Annabel must choose between her family's livelihood and the man she has come to love.

***** FIVE STARS! To read a book by Julia Quinn is always a pleasure. This story overflows with Quinn's signature talents. ONE: The characters are very well developed. TWO: The plot is believable because THREE: many young ladies of this era had to wed much older men for titles and/or money. Of course, there is also FOUR: the witty dialogue, FIVE: humorous scenes and SIX: romance, which leads to SEVEN: some laugh out loud antics (or contagious giggle fits). All of which concludes with EIGHT: a happily-ever-after ending and NINE: readers feeling so happy that TEN: the book is given a place on their Keeper Shelf.

This is one of Quinn's best, in my opinion, and not to be missed! STELLAR! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fabulous, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
Since I discovered Julia Quinn over a year ago, I've devoured her books up. Not one of her novels has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, to put it simply she's brilliant. I've been waiting for this book since Sebastian was first introduce in What Happens In London and was not disappointed in the least.

I'll not bother with a recount of the story as there are already many. What I will do is disagree with the surprising amount of bad/middling reviews. One of my biggest worries with this book was that it would be an anti-climax just as Romancing Mr Bridgerton was. I don't mean to imply that RMB was a terrible novel, but more that Quinn's way of making Colin's character more complex didn't appeal to me. I thought Sebastian would be portrayed the same way but his character really makes a lot of sense and you can really emphasise with him.

In this genre it's so easy to hate the heroine for the smallest little things, and whilst Annabel did have bad habitats they were easily forgiveable and added to her character. I particularly liked the lists involved in the book and would have loved to have seen more of them further into the book. I disagree with another reviewers view that they were unnecessary because they essentially had nothing to do with the plot. What makes Quinn's books so brilliant it the character quality. Unlike other writers she doesn't have a hundred different storylines occuring simultaneously, the magic in her books are the characters. The lists give the reader a clear insight into the character and are also humorous. I'd go so far as to say they were essential to the story - I mean the book is called "10 Things I Love About You", a list or two was bound to come up.

Whilst many writers do use too many Americanisms in books I do not see this as a criticism I can make against Quinn. Generally she avoids the major traps other writers fall into and it is clearly evident she has done a lot of research. I'm also sure I read that Quinn attended a boading school in England which has also probably influenced her in this regard. Most books you pick up nowadays are so full of awful phrases that a British reader has to cringe and think that the Americans are ruining our language. Quinn though cannot be accused of this - yes she makes the occassional error but she IS American at the end of the day and therefore WILL murder the English language at some point.

So to conclude; a wonderful book! The only disappointment is that this will be hard to forget thus I'll have to wait even longer before re-reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a Chinese meal, 19 Jun 2010
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
I think it was a mistake to read this immediately after "What happens in London". I like many of Julia Quinn's book but these two were below par. And what's with the lists, Julia? They do pad out the book but they have little relevance and do not progress the plot. And some of the language ... in the 1800's young women did not say "Oh, please ..." And when will American authors realise that "I am done with this" is not English ; we say "I am finished with this". A small thing to change and it would prevent this English reader at least from lifting eyes to ceiling with a heavy sigh. That said, Julia's lightness of touch and her humour come through but the plots of the two books were almost identical. Heroes with secrets (alcoholic father; war trauma) and so were the heroines ... but like eating a Chinese meal when you are hungry soon afterwards, you wonder afterwards, was that worth it? And with the calibre of a talented author like Julia Quinn it isn't a question I want to ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling, flirtatious fun, 7 Jun 2010
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
The Earl of Newbury needs an heir. That is, he already has one, but since his son died a year ago, his nephew Sebastian Grey stands to inherit everything. Charming, handsome and intelligent, Sebastian has no idea why his uncle despises him, but the feeling is entirely mutual. So when his sixty-something-year-old uncle begins searching for a wife, he doesn't care. It's not like he wants to be an earl anyway. He has far more important things to be doing. Luckily for him.

Unluckily for Annabel Winslow, the oldest of eight and freshly brought to town in search of a husband that can help support them, the earl has decided she'll make a fine, fertile bride. What matter if Newbury's in his sixties, every girl would love to be a rich countess... wouldn't she?

Packed with wit and elegance, with a touch of face, the estimable Julia Quinn resturs with another Regency romp. After his scene-stealing antics in What Happens in London as a hero Sebastian doesn't disappoint. With a hint of darkness beneath his devil-may-care façade, he's flirtatious and fun, and always happy to help out any damsels in distress.

Which is fortunate for Annabel. If ever there was a distressing situation for a damsel to be in, it's the prospect of marrying Newbury. The earl is suitably repulsive, and Annabel's grandparents hideously pushy - though her grandmother has moments of comic genius. Annabel's only forms of solace are her sweet cousin, Louisa, and her new friendship with Lady Olivia, cousin-by-marriage to a certain Sebastian Grey.

Tripping lightly through the London Season, with trips to the opera and a house party for variety, this tale sparkles from start to finish. The connection between Seb and Annabel reads with effortless ease from the first, and if the path to happiness may not be entirely smooth, the one to love is inevitable. Fun, light and thoroughly enjoyable, this is Quinn at her irreverent best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisinlgy not up to Quinns usual standard, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
I'm a great fan of Julia Quinns books. She has such a fun and witty way of writing and the stories always leave you with a warm feeling. This ones sure has her marks but: the story in my opinion is one of her less good ones (in company with "the secret diaries of miss Miranda Cheever"). The romance is hardly convincing. Especially where the hero is concerned. Why Annabel? He seems to adore all females, all the time. Her infatuation is more predictable as Sebastian is such a Gods gift to women. The previous book "What happened in London" was certainly up to her usual great standard along with ones like How to marry a Marquise or to Sir Philip with Love!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo funny, 4 Jun 2010
V. Knight "Vicky" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
I love Julia Quinn and once again she hasn't disappointed. The characters are really funny and the book is just so easy to read that I finished it in a day. The situations the characters face are very amusing and the smaller characters interact with the main characters really well.

Looking forward to her next book already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 18 Jun 2014
I loved Sebastian in the "What Happens in London", so looked for forward to this one. It starts of with him being the same charming rake as in the previous book and I thought his treatment of Annabel at the start was quite shabby. But with a little prodding from Olivia he soon behaves better and is a true hero, determined to save her from a fate worse than death marrying the Earl of Newbury. He is funny and romantic and he and our heroine are well matched, especially in their sense of humour and it is inevitable that they would fall in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance most likely to win your heart, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ten Things I Love About You (Paperback)
Sebastian Grey is funny, a war hero, a writer--wait for it--of romance! Was there ever a man more perfect than him? Well apart from the Bridgerton brothers and Michael Stirling and a few other Quinn heroes, I hardly think so.

Not only is Annabel Winslow gorgeous, she has a wonderful sense of humour, almost as good as Sebastian's. Their courtship is turbulent, wrought with mishaps, obstacles and hilarious one-liners from Sebastian. Must Read. No actually, MUST-MUST read. Like, right now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ten Things I Love About You
Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn (Paperback - 3 Jun 2010)