5.0 out of 5 stars I embarrass myself with praise for this
Yes, if you have read GTD then you don't absolutely need to read this. There is a little bit more of the 'why' in this one, and slightly less of the 'how', but they both cover the same ground for the most part.

Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Jezza

2.0 out of 5 stars Waffle around GTD
Published on 3 July 2009 by Simon Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars I embarrass myself with praise for this, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Making It All Work: Winning at the game of work and the business of life (Paperback)

But reading this was better than re-reading GTD again, mainly because the newness of the words meant that I had to pay attention rather than skim. At the same time, reading it felt like coming home - I cringe to write this, but it's true. I don't enthuse over other self-help books, but David Allen is just great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waffle around GTD, 3 July 2009
Simon Robinson (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I read Getting Things Done: How to Achieve Stress-free Productivity a couple of weeks before reading "Making It All Work". Getting Things Done was excellent and provided a thorough overview of David Allen's process and from that I created my own GTD system in about a week. I was hoping "Making It All Work" would take me to another level however I found most of it to be a rehash of Getting Things Done with a few additional stories. Not a bad book but a number of times whilst reading it I did wonder why I was bothering.

4.0 out of 5 stars I now see GTD in a whole new light!, 28 Feb 2012
G. Kennett (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up immediately after reading the original GTD book and at first it seemed it was going to cover old ground. Thankfully I was right but also very wrong... the book covers the principles of GTD like the horizons of focus and explains them in far more detail. For me the first GTD book showed you how and why but this book completely blew my mind on the amount of stuff I actually missed first time around.

David Allen does state you don't need to read the original to read this book which is correct BUT I personally wouldn't advise it.

This was an excellent read; sometimes felt like a sales pitch for GTD overall but that is probably due to the excitement of the author as he is trying to show you how amazing his model is... and it truly is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great practical Guide, 4 Aug 2009
Nick B (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
There is a useful rehash of some of the material in Getting Things Done, but Making it All Work is much easier to apply in practice.

As promised in the blurb I did find new strategies I have been able to use to improve the way I work and to apply the principles of Getting Things Done.

If the GTD system is new to you this is also a reasonable introduction to the principles before showing how they can be applied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 11 Aug 2010
The most difficult aspect of GTD, in my opinion, is getting perspective. Control is easy, just follow the work control flowchart of the original book, but this books elaborates more on the difficult stuff related to the six levels of perspectice; runway, 10,000ft, 20,000 ft, 30,000 ft, 40,000 ft and 50,000 ft. The matrix of control vs perspective is extremely useful, and the matrix is the core of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and encouraging, 27 Feb 2013
No one can say that David Allen doesn't lay out a compelling argument for getting organised.

In some ways this book is an update to getting things done as much as it is a follow-up.

You can pick up everything in the book without any prior knowledge of the GTD methods and practices.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational guide to getting organized, 12 Nov 2008
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
David Allen's bestseller Getting Things Done (GTD) taught readers how to gain "focus, control and perspective." Simply put, this theory taught that if you organize your catalog of commitments and review it systematically, that process will relieve you of the stress and burden of having a chaotic to-do list constantly tugging at your consciousness. This positive self-management approach frees you to tap into your highest capabilities and experience true fulfillment. While the GTD method has attracted an international following, this follow-up doesn't quite bring it to the next level. Although it is coherent, cohesive and accessible, it relies a good bit on repetition and rehashes a lot of the original work, particularly in the first two chapters, where Allen sells the system. However, for followers who can't get enough of GTD, and for those who don't know it yet and hope to get organized, getAbstract recommends Allen's latest read, particularly the chapters where he articulates the five stages of control and the "horizons of focus."

4.0 out of 5 stars The best book on GTD from David Allen, 2 Jan 2014
If you are looking for just one book by David Allen on GTD, this is the one to get. Although it doesn't go into as much detail as Getting Things Done on the GTD processes, it does a much better job of showing how things fit together.

If you have already read Getting Things Done, there might be some good additional info, but I am not sure if it justifies the extra cost in both money and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 23 July 2010
The best book I have read on managing your workload. Solves many time management dilemmas and gives well thought out, practical methods to keep work and life ticking over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 2 Aug 2009
self help books' fan (Lisbon, Portugal, Europe) - See all my reviews
Truly life changing. I wish I had read it sooner! The 2 minutes rule has changed my work life and the full system is easy and boosts your productivity and confidence to levels beyond your imagination. Fantastic!

Making It All Work: Winning at the game of work and the business of life