on 27 June 2014
If you are a mild-moderate CFS sufferer like me, I would highly reccomend you buy this book. Also, if like me, you have had to endure narrow minded, ignorant doctors - try and find another one who is more supportive.
I had to stop work and move in with my parents, but it was only then that I found an understanding doctor, who was willing to prescribe the Nimodipine, mentioned in this book.
Follow the instructions given by Kristina. Also get your doctor to prescribe you some Amyltriptiline, to help with sleep problems and flu like symptoms.
I am happy to say, I am nearly there (fingers crossed). It is a long, painful journey, often with little understanding or support from people around you - but you can get there. If you live in a city area, I would highly reccomend stopping work and moving to the country for a few months (if that is possible for you) and taking up gentle swimming when you are ready to exercise again, very relaxing. Good luck! I am praying for you.
on 15 November 2010
This is an excellant book about CFS/ME. As a sufferer for the last 7 years, I luckily have nearly recovered but still have episodes of exhaustion. This book gave a fresh approach by people who understand. There is a medical and nutritional option to follow.....I chose the nutritional and began taking (most)the recommended vitamins 5 weeks ago...already feeling so much better. Worth reading.
on 3 August 2012
Beating Chronic Fatigue - Kristina Downing-Orr

When this latest attack came on -completely unexpected - I decided that I was not going to let it rule my life and keep me from doing things. I also decided that the more I could find out about it, the better educated I am about it, the more able I will be to get better and back to normal as quickly as possible. I honestly did not expect that having a chest infection would cause me to fall into a crumbling heap, with mouth sores, addled brain, exhaustion where I just want to sit and cry and then trying to sleep and finding that I couldn't!

I went through all the books on Amazon and found this one - lots of good reviews and reasonably cheap and am so thankful that I have finally decided to actually pursue this root because often when you tell people that you have Chronic Fatigue - you get "THE LOOK" saying: "Oh not again - can't she just pull herself together!" This book has made me realise that I'm not alone suffering all the symptoms. I can only be eternally grateful that I'm not bed-bound.

The book is full of good advice. What to ask & tell your doctor. What supplements will help. But most of all, it's full of hope of a recovery.

The following quote from the book tells you just how long this wretched syndrome has been around:

"The disorder first became formalised in 1750, when Sir Richard Manningham, a physician, labelled it as febricula (little fever). Over one hundred years later, the now familiar collection of CFS-like traits - particularly exhaustion, high temperature and malaise - obtained a new label of neurasthenia. It wasn't until 1930 that the medical establishment first used the more familiar modern name of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), and although the term CFS (coined in the 1980s) is often now preferred, ME is still commonly used today. "
88 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2012
She certainly knows what it's like to suffer from CFS and the 2 different programmes look interesting and maybe worth a try. Both the medical and nutritional programmes are devised by other experts with Kristina Downing-Orr adding helpful psychological bits.
on 3 October 2012
Just get this book - it is fantastic! Even if we can't fully recover, we can learn ways in which to cope with this terrible illness through reading or flicking through this book! I only bought mine a few months ago and it's filled with post it notes and hightlighted paragraphs! Just buy it - you won't regret it! :)
on 28 July 2013
Although not following it exactly,I have started taking most of the recommended minerals and vitamins, and have noticed a difference in my energy levels. Some excellent advice about coping with CFS.
on 25 April 2012
Excellent book, well written and so helpful. Cannot believe there is medication out there that can take away this awful brain fog, absent mindness and 'dumbness' that I have been experiencing really badly for years. Why hasn't any of the 11 Doctors I've been to told me about this? Thankyou Dr Downing-Orr.
on 11 April 2011
I HIGHLY recommend this book if you have CFS/PVF/ME. It is incredibly empowering and informative, and looks at CFS from many angles, helping you to understand what is going on with your health, and how to help improve it. There is a medical approach and a nutritional approach to overcoming this illness, as well as psychological viewpoint. I have found this book so helpful and informative, and would definitely recommend buying it if you suffer from CFS and similar illnesses.
on 9 February 2012
This is my first review though I have been using Amazon for a long time.

I've just finished reading the book and for the first time in five years of CFS/ME I feel in control and hopeful - that in itself I would buy any book for - I've always relied on the doctor's, believing that was the only path to health again, following their instructions, putting up with their misguided beliefs and ignorance and slowing losing hope in the process.
While I'm not completely ready to go ahead with the plan in the book, I feel it's opened a door I didn't know existed; I'll do some more research on what's involved and find an understanding doctor (hopefully) but I just feel so much hope again it's unbelievable.

More technically this book is a gold mine of useful information and strategies that should be known by every CFS/ME sufferer, it's everything the doctor's should have told you but didn't.

Definitely worth a read.
on 16 April 2015
This is one of the most interesting and inspiring books I have read. I like its honesty it does not claim to be a quick fix. You can tell that the author is a former suffer as it is written with a knowledge, insight and understanding that so many books lack. It also does not do finger pointing at the sufferer or anyone else.