I'm not going to go into the synopsis of this book, as the first reviewer has done this brilliantly, and amazon are getting better and better at providing enough info about books to entice buyers, but what an absolutely excellent way in which to end this series.

Published on 5 April 2010 by Roroblu's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Night of the Demon
Published on 31 May 2010 by Foggy Tewsday

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending to this series - a few twists in the tale (tail) keep you guessing, 5 April 2010
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Devil's Playground: Number 5 in series (Morgan Kingsley Exorcist) (Paperback)

I kind of didn't think that there would be a HEA to this series, IM with demons and humans co-existing under not exactly ideal rules, and with Morgan's issues with trust, I thought we'd be losing certain characters and that there would be winners on only one side, so I LOVED how the author concluded things. Even the mostly digruntled Andy (Morgan's brother and fellow demon host) came out of his apathy and fought for the right reasons, and I was so surprised at Raphael coming through for his brother, and the revelations that his son, Saul, hating him did in fact cause him pain, as well as how much Morgan finally opened up - to both Lugh and Brian. Morgan and Brian, that's a couple I did not think was going to last after she continued keeping things from him and trying to end things with him to keep him safe, and whilst it's not all cut and dried for them, I was so pleased to see that they were already part way into their HEA. As for Adam, we saw a totally different side to him, one that endeared him to me, and due to the changes in him, we saw changes in Dominic. I LOVED what Adam did for him to allow him to fulfil his dream, and the tender moments they had (no explosive S&M sex as in the prev novels though, mores the pity!).

There were several twists that I could not see coming, but boy, did they work out perfectly, and I was totally happy with how the series ended. Sorry that it had to end - there's nowhere for it to go now, unless the author creates tales about Lugh openly ruling his kingdom from afar, with humans being more savvy and mistrusting of demons, but not sorry at how she did it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable instalment in Morgan Kingsley series, 13 May 2010
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've read most of the Morgan Kingsley series (I think I missed the book before this one) and have enjoyed them. 'The Devil's Playground' seemed to be a step up from the overall impression of the others, with more characterisation, an interesting plot and none of the S&M which spoiled the first book for me.

Morgan is still hosting the King of Demons, Lugh, whilst the Demon Council try to work out how to defeat Dougal, Lugh's brother and pretender to the throne. These supernatural political manoeuvres are interspersed with human stories such as Morgan's relationship with Brian, Adam and Dom and Dom's new restaurant business, Demon Raphael and his former host Andy, and more.

When reading this series you can never tell where the story is going to go and that makes it a far more enjoyable ride. With this book I felt that Morgan was beginning to become a more rounded person and, for this reader at least, more appealing. Lugh is also developing more of a shape and his interactions with Morgan are interesting.

Those who liked the previous books in the series will obviously enjoy this one, and I think there are enough explanations in this book for those new to the series to be able to follow what's going on. This is a good series that I enjoy reading and I hope that there are more books to come.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Morgan Kingsley Book 5, 21 Dec. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Please be aware that this is the 5th & final book in the Morgan Kingsley series so although my review won't contain spoilers for The Devil's Playground it may contain spoilers for previous books. If you're new to the series its one I'd recommend reading in order starting with book 1 The Devil Inside.

Things have been going far too well for Morgan and the other members of Lugh's council over the last couple of months - they should have known it was too good to be true. When Shae (the owner of The Seven Deadlies nightclub) approaches Morgan to warn her about an unusual increase in demons crossing over into the human world the council immediately suspect Dougal is up to something. Dougal has been trying to take over Lugh's throne but why does he feel the need to increase demon presence on earth? They need to find out what he is up to and try to figure out a way to stop him before he can do any more damage.

I have to say that this series has been one that I've had mixed feelings about from the start, it's always felt like a series I should love but there has always been something that kept it from becoming a favorite. Morgan has always been quite an annoying character but I was pleased to see that the changes in her that started in Speak of the Devil have continued in The Devil's Playground. She still isn't perfect but she has come a long way from the first book and I'm liking her a lot more now than I ever did before.

I still love Lugh and was pleased with the amount of time we got to spend with him in this book although I have to confess I'd have liked to have seen things develop further with him & Morgan. I've been routing for him since near the beginning of the series! I've never been Brian's biggest fan and I have to say his attitude this time around didn't help any. Morgan has finally started letting him in and now he is starting to feel jealous of Lugh and pushing her away. While I can see why he is bothered by the fact that Lugh is always there it isn't like this is something new - he has been aware of Lugh's presence for quite a long time now & I found it strange that it suddenly started bothering him quite so much.

We get to see quite a lot of the other main characters so it felt like we know how the future will turn out for each of them which is something I really liked. I'm still a massive fan of Adam and Dominic - Adam really grew on me in the last couple of books & I've liked Dom from the start. Raphael surprised me in the last book but I have to say I was downright shocked by him this time, I'm not going to say what he did for fear of spoilers but my opinion of him is now completely different to what it was at the beginning of the series. It was nice to see Morgan's brother Andy have an attitude adjustment too, he was starting to really irritate me so I'm pleased he has started to turn his life back around.

Although I would have liked more action I do think that this was probably my favorite book in the series and ended things well answering all of the questions I had. I do think it has been left at a point where Jenna Black could re-visit the series again in the future and I find myself hoping that she will do. I'm going to miss Morgan and her group of friends - Lugh, Dom & Adam in particular. While I think this is a series that never quite lived up to it's full potential for me I still think it is worth reading & if you liked the rest of the series then I'm sure you will enjoy this final installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always., 20 Aug. 2013
I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. Each book has been well written and has contained the just the right amount of action, emotion and suspense with a kick-ass feminine lead. I do have to say this book didn't quite live up to the high standards by other Morgan Kingsley books but I still feel disloyal to such a wonderful author going as low as four stars in my rating. But I feel it would be disrespectful to those genuine five stars to rate any higher. I've actually found myself quite torn on my feelings over this book because judging by the finales for other series' I've enjoyed I expected a gut wrenching finish. This book just didn't hit the spot for me and I feel a little deflated.

That being said Jenna Black is a top author and I would highly recommend this series to all fans of the supernatural. Well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Night of the Demon, 31 May 2010
Foggy Tewsday - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Jenna Black's Morgan Kinglsey series has been an uneven mix of good and mediocre entries. `The Devil's Playground' belongs in the latter category. The novel begins promisingly enough with an opening chapter that has the feel of a pulp fiction detective story, reintroducing the nasty and devious Shae, proprietress of the shady Seven Deadlies demon club. Shae is a character that really should have been made better use of over the series. Her introduction in the first book, The Devil Inside, was one of the most compelling elements in that novel and I had hoped that she would become one of Morgan's arch foes in the series. Disappointingly, for me, this did not happen.

Lugh is King of the Demon Realm and he resides in Morgan's body: demons are incorporeal on the mortal plain. They inhabit usually willing human hosts. Some rogue demons take their hosts illegally by force. Lugh's ruthless brother, Dougal, has ambitions to wrest the throne from him, killing Lugh if necessary. Meanwhile the novel's fast-paced opening fizzles out and we are soon inflicted with yet more relationship issues between Morgan and her tedious boyfriend, Brian.

Jenna Black is such a good writer that it's disappointing that the ideas that underpin this series have not really been developed. Morgan's occupation as an exorcist is not explored to any great extent. Indeed, over the series there are very few exorcisms performed. Dougal's threat has always been a mainstay, lurking in the background building in the reader an anticipation that is not really rewarded in `The Devil's Playground'. Given its subject matter and its length, this is a novel that should have delivered more action. Tellingly, the author's acknowledgments include one thanking someone "for helping me find my way out of the corner I wrote myself into near the end."

Although my overall feeling is that this series delivered less than I'd hoped, the basic idea of demons existing inside human hosts and the possibilities and handicaps that this notion presents is admirably inventive. It gives the author great scope for character development of the series' main cast. This is, in my opinion, the main success of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great end, but sad to say bye to Morgan, 21 Mar. 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the 5th, and final (though I didn't know that before I started it), book in the Morgan Kingsley series. I didn't enjoy the first book in this series all that much, just enough to give the second one a shot, but in that one, Morgan really grew on me, and then further through the next two books. But this one is easily my favourite of them all.

Morgan has grown used to having demon king Lugh reside in her, and his advances in her dreams, but after a couple of easy months with no near death experiences for her, they, and Lugh's council on the mortal plain, have grown complacent. They get a rude awakening when Shea, owner of The Seven Deadlies, approaches Morgan with disturbing news: the number of illegal demons in town has risen drastically. Something big is going on, and Lugh suspects his brother back in the demon realm, Dougal - who is trying his best to de-throne Lugh, is responsible. It doesn't take long for Morgan and Lugh's team of demons and mortals to get involved, and deep in trouble again. Only this time they may have to risk everything to stop Dougal succeeding.

Everything in Morgan's personal life is coming to a head as well, as Brian realises he can't ignore that Lugh is with Morgan every second of her life, and what it means for their intimate moments. Likewise, Lugh's stepping up his advances on Morgan in her dreams. Is it really possible they can all get along? With Dougal's plans, it may not matter.

Like I said, Morgan took a while to grow on me, but now I really love her. I love how she's learnt to open up a little and trust through the series, and it really shows here. She's far from perfect but she tries, and that is the important thing. She's grown a lot in other ways as well, through dealing with Lugh and his world in a very different way than she had prior to his arrival. It's been interesting to see the changes in her and how she's gone from sometimes seeming like a bratty teenager who is mad about not getting their own way, to a mature adult who can deal with whatever's thrown at her. I've never been too sure what I think of Brian, but I've finally decided I like him, mostly. I love Lugh, like always, and Dominic and Adam add to the great secondary cast. What surprised me here was the new side of Raphael we saw. I don't want to give any outcomes away, but I will say my opinion of him drastically changed through this book. And I had a similar, if not as deep, opinion change about Morgan's brother too at the end.

Aside from the characters, this book was well plotted. It moved along at a really good pace and kept me pretty well hooked. There were several twists coming that I didn't see, and one point where my denial about what could happen was nearly as deep as Morgan's. The various threads of the previous books come together in this and result in a intense finish. I like that just about everything got tied up, but not too tightly, so you can imagine a future story with these characters past what we've seen.

As well as the main plots, the subplots, Saul and Raphael and Dominic with his new business amongst others, were all woven in well, adding more depth to the story, without wasting pages or taking away from the main story. And despite all the problems and trouble the team face, there are some very funny moments as well, which I liked. I wish there was going to be more books in this series, but at least it got a decent ending. I'll take that over a series run in to the ground any day! And I believe there will be a short story in Morgan's world at some point too, so I'll look forward to that! For sure a series that's ended on a high and one I'd really recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many loose ends, 16 May 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having read and enjoyed the other titles in this series, I was a little apprehensive as to how the author was going to conclude so many threads in so short a time. Back that up with the previous offering that felt like it had stalled slightly, to allow the author a tad more time to reach the epic finale that the readers have been demanding will make this a make or break title for her as a writer.

What unfurls within this offering is a title that really felt that it was a bit of a let down, as if the last part of the bake on a superb soufflé was giving great promise only to go flat in the final part. The character as you'd come to expect was just as strong but rather than an explosive ending it felt more like a sad little poof instead of the bang you'd expect after such careful sculpting in the previous offerings.

That said however the writing is as engaging as ever, the dialogue just as haunting but above all it's the character ménage a trios interaction that is the piece that really will keep you hooked. With a ton of threads still left to conclude this may not be the final title as has previously been claimed and I for one hope that Jenna will reexplore these in the future to give all the readers the ending that they not only demand but deserve for their expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist, #5, 4 April 2010
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Morgan Kingsley is the best and strongest known exorcist around. Within her dwells Lugh, the demon king that is attempting to stop his brother, Dougal, from stealing the demon throne and turning the Mortal Plain into a playground for demons. Though Morgan used to believe all demons were bad and any human that voluntarily allowed himself to be possessed by one was insane, Morgan now realizes her bigotry of demons blinded her to how much they actually help mankind.

By Morgan's side is Brian, her lawyer boyfriend who is going through bouts of jealousy over Lugh. Why? Because Lugh is always present, even though Morgan is the one in control of her body when awake. Morgan and Brian are never alone, even when intimate. It does not help that Lugh is incredibly sexy and tries his best to seduce Morgan in dreamland. Also on Morgan and Lugh's side are the members of Lugh's royal council on the Mortal Plain. Since Lugh fights for humans and demons, not all of his royal council members are demon.

When Shae, the opportunistic owner of The Seven Deadlies demon club, informs Morgan that a sudden large influx of demons (in the bodies of unwilling humans) have been showing up recently, there is little doubt that Dougal is behind it. The time has finally come for Lugh and Dougal to come face-to-face.

***** FIVE STARS! This fifth installment of the series is finally on the store shelves, but will disappear rapidly as readers sprint to grab themselves a copy. With action, danger, and suspense an ever-constant presence, the pulse rate of readers will pound double-time as events escalate to the book's climatic ending. And believe me when I say this book has a very dramatic ending. Wow! Unforgettable and in-freaking-credible! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

The Devil's Playground: Number 5 in series (Morgan Kingsley Exorcist)