5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book for anyone suffering from depression
This is an extremely helpful book, both for sufferers and their families, and also health professionals.
Janet and Jane have exposed a number of shortcomings of the conventional approaches of the medical and mental health services. They guide the individual towards seeking the best treatment in an easy to understand manner.
They expose the dangers of...
Published on 13 May 2008 by Mr. Peter N. Ralph

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This book was quite interesting but there are better ones on the market. Perhaps i was looking for a magic cure and dissapointed that i didntfind it.
Published on 26 April 2013 by Steve G

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book for anyone suffering from depression, 13 May 2008
Mr. Peter N. Ralph (Twickenham Therapy Centre) - See all my reviews
They expose the dangers of mis-diagnosis and inappropriate medication prescription and their experiences reveal the depths to which this can subject intelligent, professional people. Their stories do, however, show how it is possible (and necessary!) to obtain the correct advice and how important diet and therapy can be.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Peter N Ralph

5.0 out of 5 stars Beating Stress, Anxiety and Depression, 11 Nov. 2008
This book is extremely comprehensive. There is something for everyone from sufferers, their families/friends, lay and health practitioners.

What I found particularly refreshing was the way the writers had explained the brain function (Chapter 3 - Mind Matters) in a clear (mostly) jargon free way, the importance of the talking therapies and the part that complementary therapies can contribute.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-epener, 19 Sept. 2008
G. Hardy "George Hardy" (Tyneside, England.) - See all my reviews
This book came as a very welcome surprise to me and at just the right moment of my life.

I have long been impressed by Prof. Plant's work, and the thorough, painstaking research that goes into each of her books.

I have fought a long and so far remarkably successful battle against prostate cancer, and I credit my progress to finding Prof.Plant's own story of her struggle against breast cancer, in "Your Life In Your Hands", within days of my diagnosis in April 2005.

Early this year, in May 2008, I was feeling particularly 'down' and just could not fathom out why. Surely I would have had far more reason to be depressed in the first months of diagnosis, not now - at such a highpoint in my life; I had finished all cancer treatment.

As usual, the impatient patient that is me began trawling the internet for answers. I had already asked questions of my family doctor and my oncologist, but felt disatisfied with their responses and suggestions.
I felt there must be a biochemical reason why I was feeling so depressed and unable to cope. I wondered if there was some imbalance of hormones in my body.

I was amazed to discover that Jane Plant had written this book with Janet Stephenson and that both had suffered badly at one time with stress, anxiety and depression, yet had found a way to successfully combat the illness.

I read the book from cover to cover, and it certainly did open my eyes.
At last I could see clear reasons why I was feeling the way I did. There was nothing for me to be ashamed about - I hadn't suddenly became 'weak-willed' or lazy. There really WERE hormonal imbalances, and there really were possible solutions.

I am now seen regularly by an endocrinologist and I have followed all the suggestions in this book to keep myself on the path to a full recovery.
I would thoroughly recommend this ground-breaking book to anyone who is feeling depressed - and baffled as to exactly what is causing such depression.

George Hardy

4.0 out of 5 stars Beating stress, anxiety and depression, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Beating Stress, Anxiety And Depression: Groundbreaking ways to help you feel better (Paperback)
I was diagnosed with Dysthymia earlier this year and have since been investigating this condition extensively.

This book breaks down the various accepted diagnosis' of depression in a comprehensive manner to enable the reader to gain a better understanding of it and has extensive information on all types. One of the reasons I began to read it was because of my diagnosis and wanting to increase my knowledge of it as until then I had never heard of it.

It is comforting to know that both the authors have been through the system of mental health and come out the other side which gives me hope for my own recovery. This book covers all aspects of depression and anxiety and discusses the current options for care available including antidepressant's, talking therapies, diet and its effect and the advances being made in neuroscience. This is very useful in giving the reader increased knowledge and information to enable them to discuss options of care.

The authors also discuss the shortcomings of the NHS Mental Health Service and give reasons in their opinion as to why this happens, for example, lack of funding and the proscrastination of transferring research into the clinical practice and why much of the care given and how diagnosis' are made is subjective.

In order to arm the reader with relevant information on depression and ideas to help themselves, I found this book is refreshing in its approach and it is one I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, full of real science, 22 Sept. 2008
apart from the slightly questionable review below I agree with everyone else i've ever met who read and used this book. Brilliant, helpful and different. If you think you've tried everything to fix your depression pr anxiety problems, try this! As a scientist myself I can only say that in my opinion this is one the most soundly scientifically based texts on mental health i've ever seen, as you would expect given the authors' credentials. You don't get a CBE for services to earth sciences for writing rubbish do you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground-breaking book, 13 May 2008
This book tells it like it is - and gives a thorough assessment of the available - and what should be available - sources of help. The writers know their subject from the inside as well as being highly experienced in their fields. A must for sufferers from depression or anxiety and their families, and a wake-up call of interest to all working in this field.
Jenifer Littman MBE Chair The Wishing Tree Trust

5.0 out of 5 stars Beating Stress. Anxiety & Depression, 23 May 2008
Ms. P. S. Watson "Pam" (Richmond, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for anyone suffering from stress, anxiety and/or depression. The authors thoroughly cover all aspects and open your eyes to new ways of living a happy and full life. With their own personal experiences you as a reader feel you can really relate to the authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars what a wonderful book......., 14 May 2008
I can't thank the authors enough - I've read the book from cover to cover and it is going to make such a difference to both mine and my family's life. The information and advice they offer are going to be invaluable and I would recommend this book to anyone who has suffered from stress and anxiety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, 4 Aug. 2008
A book written with plenty of detail. I recommend it along with the much talked about book 'SACRED SPACE' by ELIZABETH BAILEY, for the whole complement of beating Depression, Anxiety and Stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome alternative to taking drugs, 22 Sept. 2008
At last, a book that offers many alternatives to taking drugs - which deal with the symptoms, not the causes.This book impressed me by being well supported by scientific proof. For some strange reason, another reviewer claimed there were 'phoney scientific arguments' whereas all statements were well referenced in the notes at the back of the book.
The great thing about the various techniques offered is that they could save many people from relying on medication - which can become a long-term addiction.