5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read to those with an open mind on nutrition
I came across this book having listened to Get the Edge by Anthony Robbins, who's nutrition advice is based on the principles contained within it - all be it that he does not perhaps go to the extremes the book suggests.
Published on 9 Mar 2004 by Nigel H

3.0 out of 5 stars better books
Even eating healthily, we (and close friends) found ourselves highly acidic, a state guaranteeing illness. Therefore, something else has to be the root cause of the acidity in the body. (I have been aware of acid/alkaline body balance for two decades; while this book is helpful, it doesn't seem to be the full answer).

"Sodium Bicarbonate" by Sircus explains how...
Published 11 months ago by D&D

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read to those with an open mind on nutrition, 9 Mar 2004
Nigel H (Sutton, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was sick of feeling 'lethargic' all the time and not knowing how to counter balance this, so decided to get it and see. At first I was shocked by the information and a little worried that I was apparently now not allowed to eat nearly all the food types I love. I have decided to give it a go though and have been very happy with the results so far. Feeling more energetic, with none of my previous Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms evident now. This is only 2 1/2 weeks since starting and I have cheated for a couple of meals at weekends, but so far so good - I have also lost half a stone in weight (7 lbs).
The other reviews on Amazon range from great to sceptical and appear to miss the point that the book suggests taking the advice to a higher level of rigidity depending on your symptoms. This makes sense to me. Any cure to any illness will surely work better if aplied 100%, rather than 75% for example - this is no different. The book shows you how to test your acidity and assumedly if you start becoming too Alkaline (though I feel this must be very difficult with it taking some 20 times more alkalinity to counter balance any acid forming food - If I understood correctly!) you can change your diet accordingly. It does state that the PH balance of the blood and organs are critical within a few 100ths of a ph point, so sensibility must prevail when testing yourself. [Not sure on how accurate self testing is?]
So whilst perhaps a daunting prospect, to learn to eat a vegan style diet whilst combining foods correctly, I am sticking with it. I was glad that there is none of the usual weighing and measuring of food, more simply going on the percentage by volume on your plate, by which to judge your intake. This simplifies things and also there are a number of helpful recipies and information on what to eat, why to eat it and what the benefits are.
At the end of the day, it comes down to how much you want to apply the principles given to fight your symtpoms - which is obviously down to the individuals desire to change how they feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the effort, 22 Jan 2004
These principles are really well worth the effort of trying for yourself.I was a vegetarian and followed the typical"Low fat high fibre" type diet and I felt and looked well for my age(I am 46). The odd aches and pains, feeling not quite as energetic as I used to I accepted as part of the aging process. Two years ago I started to follow Robert Young's diet to the letter. I now feel more energetic than I did when I was 20! No matter how many people I meet who are coughing and sneezing I just don't catch colds and flu.My figure is now as I would have hoped for at 20, I am a trim 8stone and have no cellulite, my skin is incredible and everyone has noticed the difference and asked what I am doing differently. Many have questioned me on the principles of the diet and after trying a few little changes they are so delighted that they come back and ask for details to buy the books, and they too are hooked. Robert Young's books have made such a difference to me and everyone I have recommended them to.The changes are certainly well worth trying you and if my experiences are anything to go by you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ph Miracle - it could well be!, 27 Jan 2003
Joseph Cash (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Dr Robert Young (and his wife Shelly) present, in a more accessible form, the research presented in their previous book "Sick and Tired: Reclaim Your Inner Terrain". In a nutshell, they argue that by making sure at least three quarters of what you eat is vegetables (and half of those raw), you can take a quantum leap forward in health. To get the best results you should cut sugar, dairy, meat (except fish), and yeast to virtually zero and take mineral and other supplements. It may sound extreme, but the case studies are compelling. Certainly more research is needed. In the meantime, my own personal experience backs it up - following the diet loosely (and seeking energy more than weight loss) I lost four inches of my waist in eight weeks and lost my athsma. This was a happy by product of seeking more energy. I would certainly recommend using the key health supplements in the book (colloidial minerals and the green drink) as I began to get a much wider range of health benefits when I started using the supplements with the diet. If you are at all open minded and determined to improve your health, then read this book. The alkaline diet could be the diet of the noughties and beyond...

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that could really change your life., 21 May 2003
Stephen Roberts (Hayling Island, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic book. At first this booked seemed complicated but once I started following its recommendations I found it brought my energy levels back to a condition of coherency and vitality. After a few months I have lost 2 stone in weight and more importantly am achieving a high level of health and wellness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of common sense, 13 Aug 2007
Mr. John Mccarthy "John McCarthy" (Maynooth, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book makes sense of the chemistry of the human body. After only 3 weeks of drinking filtered water with added 'bleach' I have shed almost a stone, and feel better than I have done for years. It takes a little forward planning to maintain an interesting diet based on salads, but the clean fresh feeling inside is well worth it. Minimising sugary fruits also makes sense if one is suffering from a yeast infected gut, but with tomatoes, avocados,lemons, cherries and limes as recommended, and apples as acceptable, eating fruit is not a thing of the past. The book makes for good reading, especially the case testimonies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 13 Sep 2005
I read this book after hearing Anthony Robbins praising the alkaline diet. I read it right through, then started on the plan. Within 6 weeks I had lost the stone that I had been gradually putting on since I was 18, without even trying, felt more energetic than ever, and my skin looked fantastic. I didn't have any major health problems before, but now feel confident I am in the best condition I have been for years.
I did find the green drink he recommended hard to get hold of in the UK, but then found it at alkaline4health.co.uk
I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation, 6 Sep 2006
C. Trafford (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book about 6 weeks ago and can honestly say it is one of my best ever "buys"! In spite of the fact that I have many books on nutrition and healthy cooking, I now realise that the "healthy eating" I have tried to maintain for years wasn't that healthy at all! Since making a few simple adjustments in line with the recommendations in this book, I have lost 15lbs in weight (and counting!) and experienced my energy levels and sense of general well-being soar.

Please take some of the "negative" reviews below with a generous pinch of salt. They misrepresent the programme by either presenting the recommendations for those attempting to heal themselves of extreme conditions, e.g. cancer, as being applicable to all (they are not) or take particular references so entirely out of context as to make them ridiculous (e.g. the bread recipe, below, which is actually used in the book as a quotation from the Dead Sea Scrolls and just shows the wisdom we have lost).

For your health's sake, buy this book and begin today. It may well be the best decision you make this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 4 April 2006
By A Customer
I first heard of Robert Young after attending the Anthony Robbins Seminar. The book was so easy to read and made such a lot of sense that I immediately became a vegan and followed all the recommendations. I lost 2 and a half stone in about 4 months and felt full of energy. I have now bought 5 copies of the book and given them to my friends or anyone I know who has health problems. I highly recommend the book to anyone who wants a healthier lifestyle and to feel energised and full of vitality

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life, 17 Nov 2010
If you are already browsing books about restoring your PH value then chances are you already know a bit about the benefits of having less acid in your body. I was browsing this section when my mum recently diagnosed with Liver Cancer and Id heard a bit about being more Alkaline so I decided to purchase two books. This one is the best money I have spent on my lifestyle in ages. It offers sound scientific knowledge coupled with practical day to day advice on making changes, it doesn't blind you with technical stuff about PH Values. The best bit I think, is once you have done your 'studying' in the first few chapters there are some really easy recipes and advice on how to purchase the equipment and ingredients you will need to start living a more Alkaline life. I love this book. As an Alkaline novice.. I have found it most helpful to get me started and has sparked a general interest in diet, lifestyle and nutrition. Good health!!

3.0 out of 5 stars better books, 1 May 2013
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ph Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health (Paperback)

"Sodium Bicarbonate" by Sircus explains how sodium bicarbonate raises the body pH, which makes it less acidic, which in turn changes the terrain and thereby makes it difficult for bacteria, viruses, fungus and parasites to remain. He puts a lot of stress on fungal overgrowth in the body which practitioners at the cutting edge believe are at least part of all cancers, diabetes and many other illnesses, while conventional doctors are taught very little about fungus so almost always overlook it.

Sircus repeatedly states that the triumvirate of health recovery is sodium bicarbonate (the humble baking soda), magnesium chloride and iodine (as lugol's) - and all are cheap to buy. He explains that the three together can heal almost anything. Sodium Bicarbonate and Magnesium Chloride can be taken orally or transdermally (through the skin): a cup each, in a bath, done several times a week, can work wonders. (He cautions that the sicker you are, the less hot the water should be - down to lukewarm for very sick people as it can make them dizzy otherwise.)

It is important to be aware that all of these (bacteria, viruses, fungus and parasites) are opportunists that cannot take hold in a healthy body. Low thyroid (the thyroid gland uses the most iodine but most of us are very deficient, partly because of bromide in all breads, fluoride in our tap water and many other deliberate insults) - one of the most common health problems - is quite likely to be a root cause of acidity in the body and of many health problems. (Little point in eating healthily when a low thyroid means poor digestion, which in turn creates acidity in the body - although a junk food diet would be even worse, I suppose.)

While I find the presentation in some of his books messy and repetitive (the second edition of "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" is much better than the first, however), there are no better books available on these two minerals. Sircus also has a book on iodine: add iodine and "one has the formula for infectious disease control in the 21st century, the age of toxicity and antibiotic-resistant infections." However, I think there are better books available on iodine. I suggest instead: "Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it" by David Brownstein and " The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life" by Lynne Farrow.

Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) is being called a silent epidemic (silent because not officially acknowledged) that affects between 40% and 60% of the population. I suggest:

- "Hypothyroidism Type 2" ("type 2" meaning the thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests) which shows how much of poor health and all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding (like gums, periods) & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers; and

- Stop The Thyroid Madness - I think this is the MOST important book and there is also a very helpful website with the same name; both are patient-empowering, detailed and practical - it's basically a how-to manual for low thyroid and also adrenal insufficiency, which is common for low thyroid people. Both website and book explain a quick and easy self/home test for identifying low thyroid in yourself, the FREE basal/morning temperature test, which is the gold standard for identifying thyroid problems (although most conventional doctors, including endos, don't agree, but then they're not trained to understand thyroid problems.

thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country

ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

The Ph Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
The Ph Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health by Robert O. Young (Paperback - 2 April 2009)
6.99