5.0 out of 5 stars By far, the best book I have read this year!
If you want to change the world, or change your bit of it, this is the book for you!

Seth Godin focuses on the role that LEADERSHIP plays in change and makes some powerful observations about the difference between MANAGEMENT and LEADERSHIP. Management is about maintaining stability, about perpetuating the status quo, it is about ensuring that things are done...
Published on 16 Nov 2008 by S. Gale

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, not enough for a whole book
Seth Godin has great ideas, and the idea of leading a tribe to make change happen is another one of them. The issue is that this book could have 5 or 10 pages instead of 131. It would share exactly the same knowledge. Going for the same over and over again with lousy examples is what's made me got really tired. It's boring, exactly what he claims not to do. I won't spread...
Published on 3 Jan 2010 by Ricard Codina Graño

4.0 out of 5 stars We can all be leaders; we just don't always know it, 27 Oct 2009
Jonathan Kettleborough (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
I love the way that Seth writes; fast, furious and to the point. I found this a rather US-centric book but was a great read none the less.

In his book, Seth looks at the concepts of tribes and of followers and leaders.

Throughout the book Seth looks at the power of the internet which has allowed people to become leaders from the strangest of places. He clearly articulates what it takes to be a leader and for me the key messages of the book are held on pages 88-90.

Overall this was a very quick and easy book to read and one which made me think. Peppered with clear examples; Seth walks the reader through leadership and management and the desire to succeed. Seth also tells us stories of dire failures and how these have moulded leaders in the future.

This is a recommended book and one I shall come back to time and time again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tribes, 20 Dec 2009
Lydia Everitt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
the topic was interesting and I could agree with the points Godin was making. But I felt he could have made the same ponts in 20 pages, not 120. there seemed to be a lot of repetition which started to bore me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some New Material, Seth is Always a Pleasure to Read, 8 Oct 2009
Daddy-O (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
The key messages that I've come away with are;

1. Responding to new/changing environments is better than reacting, but even better is to initiate. Very true - whether over a business plan or change in plan initiating is the 21st century way to go.

2. It's never been so easy to lead (google, blogs etc) - and it's better for your tribe to find you (and to give them what they want) rather than trying to artificially create a tribe for your own purposes (Seth correct me if I've misunderstood).

As a Godin fan I'm happy to read his open style on almost any subject. Any longer and the book would be repeating itself - just the right length to read on a plane.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... behind this book is as simple as it is brilliant – these days, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
The concept behind this book is as simple as it is brilliant – these days, we’re all leaders, and everyone has the opportunity to start a movement. You see it all the time, people forming tribes behind ideas like the (successful) attempt to get Rage Against the Machine‘s Killing in the Name of to become the Christmas Number One.

In this book, Godin convincingly explains why you should embrace these tribes, and why you should avoid being a sheep and attempt to lead the pack instead. It’s valuable advice, whether you apply it to your career or your business. It’s one of a half-dozen Godin books that I’d recommend to anyone who works in marketing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mega dissapointment, 4 Jan 2009
D. Bourke (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
I had heard a lot about Seth before buying this book and had seen a couple of his speaches on the internet. I suppose I had high expectations of him, which may be what has led to my dissapointment with this book.

Essentially, Seth is discussing the emergence and importance of 'Tribes' of people, with a particular slant on the internet. The problem is that the sum total of the theory could have been compressed to 20 pages, not 120. There is a lot of personal opinion with little to no facts and case studies.

It was a shame that he didn't go into more detail in the few examples that he has used and given more insight into how the technology can be used. Instead, there is a lot of repetition, generalisation and some pretty boring lengthy passages where no knowledge is imparted to the reader.

The only reason I gave two stars is that it has inspired me in a way to investigate the available technologies more than I have. Other than that, I haven't taken anything from this book. If you are looking to read up on 'Tribes' and social media, do it on the web and wait for someone to write a proper book on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn how to become a Tribal Leader, 9 Nov 2008
Jasdev Dhaliwal (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
Tribes is the newest addition to Seth Godin's ongoing work of easily readable ideas on "Changing The World". Godin uses a number of real world examples and a number of short stories to underpin the ideas within Tribes. There is nothing in the book, that many of us don't already know, at least on a subconscious level. In certain situations, we must find the initiative to lead. Many of us lead tribes, even if we don't always see it that way.

The book begs the reader into thinking about how we can all challenge the status quo. Both, in our everyday personal and professional lives by taking the lead. Godin is a master at dusting off conventional concepts and presenting them in an enlightening and refreshing new way. He demonstrates the importance of not only leading a tribe of followers, but also nurturing the relationships within it. One of the most powerful aspects of the book is how it is written to speak directly to the reader.

Tribes, is not written as a conventional book with chapters. The book is written more in the style of a conversation, resulting from ideas and conversations from Godin's blog. The book is a essentially a collection of those thoughts, presented beautifully in print. The book is a quick read and does inspire the reader to look at ways where he/she can make a real difference and empower groups of people.

Controversially, Godin describes most people within organisations as "sheepwalkers," those who "have been raised to be obedient" and those that are comfortable "with brain-dead jobs and enough fear to keep in line." For at least a few, leadership brings empowerment and brings opportunities to challenge traditional ways of doing things for the better.

There is a feeling that Godin is in fear. Fear of a world without "everyday" leaders who continue to change things for the better. These everyday leaders are not big CEO's, but rather people like you and me. The book is indeed a call to action.
Godin cites five different reasons as to why people should look for everyday opportunities to lead:

1. "Everyone in an organisation, not just the boss is expected to lead".
2. [Today] "it's easier than ever before to change things [and] individuals have more leverage than ever before". Especially, with tools such as Facebook and Twitter
3. Individuals, and their organisations that "change things and create remarkable products and services" are rewarded in the marketplace.
4. Change is a catalyst and can empower each of us to do something truly remarkable. It is "engaging, thrilling, profitable and fun,".
5. Finally, there is a "tribe" of other people waiting for a leader, "to connect them to one another and lead them where they want to go."

Godin states that, great leaders "create movements by empowering the tribe to communicate". They establish the foundation for people to make connections, as opposed to commanding people to follow." Powerful leaders connect members of a tribe by a common interest (e.g. by sharing a passionate goal), and a determination to create things that did not exist before.

Don't be fooled into thinking, Tribes is a technical manual, or a practical step-by-step guide. Because while it encourages you to "lead", it doesn't go into specifics, (which is a good thing). Godin challenges the reader to accept full responsibility for becoming a tribal leader.

"No one gives you permission or approval or a permit to lead, You can just do it. The only one who can say no is you."

Critics may argues that the book lacks "concrete data". However, long time Seth Godin readers will understand that his books are a presentation of ideas. Ideas that spread and win. Tribes is no different. The book could also be criticised for being too short. However, it is extremely well written and in my opinion the right size for the material it covers.

After reading the book, I was left thinking that Tribes was Volume 1. Certainly, another book could soon be followed up. For example, what effects are realised, when tribes collaborate with other tribes forming a "Super Tribe"? Or, what does the leader do when his role is challenged within the tribe?

It's hard to escape the religious metaphors in the book. References to "heretics" and "fundamentalists" echo throughout. In centuries passed, heretics were burned for their religious views. However, in Godin's 21st Century world, heretics may just be the ones that save us from an unremarkable world.

Overall, Tribes is an inspiring read and well worth adding to your Seth Godin collection! Get your copy of Tribes from Amazon

[UPDATE]

Seth was kind enough to answer my three quick questions below:

Q. What inspired you to write Tribes?

A. I see a world where just about everyone is pushed to conform, to fit in, to do what we're told. A workforce filled with sheepwalkers... at the same time, I see people desperately in search of leadership, eager to be connected and to matter. I was hoping to point those two things out and encourage people to take a breath and lead.

Q. How does Seth Godin spend his day?

A. I write, answer email, bother people, notice things, and run my company, Squidoo and my closed online site, triiiibes.

Q. For readers who haven't read Tribes, can you explain the general themes of the book and why you think everyone should buy it?

A. The best thing to do is visit squidoo and see what other people had to say!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 22 May 2009
L. LOUIS (Bristol, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
Tribes do you want stay ahead & stand out or do you want be left alone & left behind? This book is about being a remarkable person, being a more engaging personality & learning how to connect with people as well as opportunities within/without your immediate positioning. Great book, I have written & underlined some great STUFF inside my copy....can't wait to read the book over again & again(..just lent mine to a friend).

You can easily use it as a manual or reference guide within any study group or organization. GREAT VALUE for the PRICE!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tribes, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
Avoid. This book takes a very simple idea and repeats itself continuously for 130 pages.
A much better book is 'the Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell. Not only does Galdwell's
book talk about a wider range of ideas but it also gives detailed examples of how they
are applied in the real world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Seth's Best Book But Still Very Interesting, 23 Sep 2009
Daddy-O (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
I am a Seth Godin fan and will buy any book he publishes, so I have a high expectation. This book falls short of expectation because it is less memorable key points to come away with.

The central theme is that with the internet anyone can be a leader and harness a following. Tribes already exist everywhere and the internet is a great way to focus a tribe.

The examples are not so interesting as real world examples he gives in other books, but the style is nice and it is an intelligent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me to think again about leadership, 27 Sep 2009
Michael Beale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes: We need you to lead us (Paperback)
This book basically puts a case for 'heretical thinking' and for 'creating a vision' and 'developing your tribe'. I've given it 5* because I think it's a good articulation of some of the success charachteristics needed in 2009 onwards. It also got me to clarify in my mind the potential creative confict (and different skill sets) between leadership (vision, tribe and empowered followers) and management (getting stuff developed). The book has inspired to update our leadership courses.

Tribes: We need you to lead us
Tribes: We need you to lead us by Seth Godin (Paperback - 6 Nov 2008)