4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid read!
Published on 4 Jan. 2010 by Woody Starr

3.0 out of 5 stars All the hallmarks of future greatness
Alex Ridgely, Duke of Ashbourne, long ago learned just what it was woman saw when they looked at him: his fortune and his title. Oh, and that he was young and eligible. His looks helped, but in the scheme of things they weren't that important. When it came to his character, well, that was irrelevent.

That was until the day a serving maid threw herself in front...
Published on 4 May 2007 by Book Gannet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars All the hallmarks of future greatness, 4 May 2007
Book Gannet (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

That was until the day a serving maid threw herself in front of a carriage to save his nephew. When the maid turns out to be more than he expected, Alex faces the prospect that his beliefs might just be wrong. But Alex is stubborn, very stubborn and he's never wrong.

He's almost as stubborn as Emma Dunster, sent to London for the season, when she'd much rather be back at home in Boston, learning to take over her father's business. Whether she likes it or not, however, no company could thrive with a woman at the helm, no matter how capable she is. It just isn't done. But although Emma might have agreed to a season with her aunt and cousins in England, that doesn't mean she has to like it. Nor that she's relinquished her dream.

Until she finds herself unconscious in the Duke of Ashbourne's carriage, dressed as a serving maid.

'Splendid' is a light-hearted, thoroughly enjoyable romp, full of the wit that characterises all of Julia Quinn's novels. However, it is clear that this is a first novel, with the occasional slips into modern language. Alex himself is the typical rakish duke, too rich, good-looking and arrogant for his own good. Similarly, Emma is a head-strong, beautiful outsider, but JQ writes their encounters with enough reluctant romance and amusing flare for all to be forgiven. Besides, the supporting cast of secondary characters (Belle, Dunford, Ned etc) prevent 'Splendid' from ever becoming too boring or predictable.

True, it lacks the smoothness of characterisation and frequent laugh-out-loud moments to be found in later JQ novels, but it's a book to be read with a smile on your face - one that stays even after the last page.

If you're new to Julia Quinn, I recommend starting with the Bridgertons (The Duke and I), but once you're done with them, come back to this - it's worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid read!, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Splendid: Number 1 in series (Blydon Family Saga) (Paperback)
Julia Quinn is excellent at writing light romantic comedies and this book is no exception. I truly loved the characters in this book for Emma and Alex are perfect together and have a wonderful chemistry. Julia also weaves a great deal of excellent comedy into the plot and this keeps you entralled throughout. I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to read a light historic romaintic comedy to lighten your mood or to relax you after a busy day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Altogether a Splendid read, 19 Mar. 2013
Yes, I am reading a lot of her work, and I refuse to apologise one jot!!! Having bedded down to her style ~ I am completely at home. They move me to tears (of the happy variety) and frustration sometimes for a hero to get a bloomin' MOVE ON, but they always make my heart sing.

I should have been making the bed, doing more housework, or any number of other wifely duties, but instead I've had a "Splendid" time .............absolutely SPLENDID time reading this book.

The story of wealthy American heiress, Emma Dunster who dressed as maid, and met Alex Ridgeley (Duke of Ashbourne), who would ultimately become the love of her live.

Splendid by title SPLENDID and full of humour on all fronts being a 5 Star ***** for me, even allowing for the use of "block" "in back" and other such Americanisms, which simply cease to matter one jot when I get hold of a Julis Quinn book.

For clarity I should point that this I didn't get this from Amazon, it was in fact a Local Library book, but I will eventually collect the whole of her work on my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid, julia quinn, 3 Oct. 2011
Have been reading this series of Julia Quinn books in quite a haphazard order but have found them all very entertaining. She has a lovely simple way of describing characters and scenes which instantly draws the reader into the story. Splendid was her first novel and I found it quite charming. It tells of an American lady who is sent to England to experience a London season. We are instantly introduced to the Blydon family who Emma is to stay with who also happen to be her cousins. The tale is of Emmas determination not to fall for an English aristocrat, which of course she does. Enter Alex, the Duke of Ashbourne,gorgeous,available and seemingly not in the least bit interested in finding a wife until he claps eyes on the American beauty. It is a lovely feelgood tale and I hate to admit, I was weeping at the end which for me is a sure sign of a very enjoyable novel! Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 8 May 2012
I'm normally a big Julia Quinn fan, but I just couldn't get into this one. I quite like the h&h, but all they seem to do is argue. They both seemed a bit immature and very pleased with themselves. I think the main problem I have with it is the hero's motivations. Right at the beginning, the heroine saves his nephew's life, then the hero seems to decide that although he has no intention of marrying her, he is going to pursue and seduce her. It just seems quite cruel and ungrateful considering at this time this would probably leave her socially ruined. Although there were bits I liked, the story just didn't cut it for me. If you're trying this author for the first time, then try one of her other ones as this isn't her best by far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 24 Mar. 2014
This is not the first Julia Quinn book I have read. I know this was her first and I find it not as polished as her later stuff. Still a lovely read.

My one gripe is something I read in another review. At first Alex has no intention of marrying Emma and yet he pursues her intent on seduction. I could understand this if she was the serving maid he first thought but not the well bred wealthy young lady she is. What did he think would happen when he compromised her. Did he think her family would let him get away with not marrying her?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Oct. 2010
Tinksjane "tink" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I wasnt sure about this book as there are such mixed reviews.....but ....... I loved it!!! Its fun, creative and romantic and I couldnt wait to buy the next in the mini series to find out how the main characters were getting on....I am basing my decision to buy many of Julia Quinns books on this novel.....really enjoyed it!

3.0 out of 5 stars not as splendid as hoped for!, 29 July 2011
When you open up a book and find a note from the author acknowledging that this book was her first and that it isn't quite as polished as her later books, your heart sinks a little. On the positive side, she is honest!

I found the book to be naively written, with a number of large plot holes (which I haven't spotted in Julia Quinn's later works). In short, this novel isn't up to the standard of the Bridgerton series of novels from the same author. The book is diverting and its first chapters do make you want to know more about the characters; after that however my attention waned and I resulted to skimming the end of the story (I am still not sure what happens in the middle). This is the first time that I have not sat down and fully read her books, and I was disappointed that this one didn't hold my interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really quite - well - splendid!, 2 May 2009
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Splendid was Julia Quinn's first published novel, and in her brief introduction she does say herself that she thinks Splendid isn't as 'polished' as her more recent works, but she still has a special fondness for her first work, and who can blame her?

Like a lot of writers in this genre, especially American writers, there are some anachronisms and Americanisms that do slip into the text. I can more readily forgive this in Quinn's books as there is a great sense of humour and fun about them and the characters really come to life from the page.

I still think the Bridgerton series is her best, but still, this is not to be sniffed at! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny, perfect., 31 July 2013
This would have to be my favourite out of the 3 book's, I could see myself in the character and found I was laughing till I cried in most section's, and then my heart would break in other's. Such a great series of well written novel's. Now I have to purchase the rest of Julia Quinn's novel's, just love them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Splendid: Number 1 in series (Blydon Family Saga)
Splendid: Number 1 in series (Blydon Family Saga) by Julia Quinn (Paperback - 3 July 2008)