Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2008
I have to start by saying that I'm a big fan of most of Nora Roberts' trilogies and other groupings of books about families. That said, some are definitely better than others, and for me, this one was one of the best.
"Daring to Dream" is the first of this trilogy about "sisters of the heart" -- three women who grew up together in the same household. Margo Sullivan is the heroine of this tale, and she has spent most of her life trying to shed the "housekeeper's daughter" mantle that she wears with no small chip on her shoulder. She has made a name for herself in modeling and has traveled the world, but when her career falls apart she knows there's only one place she can go, and that's "home".

Many readers who didn't care for this book seem to have felt that Margo was selfish and self-centered. While I agree on the latter, I wouldn't say that she was selfish at all. It was very clear that while she's very "me" oriented, she would have dropped anything at any time to help her friends if they needed her. She's an extremely realistic character, and that means that she is, of course, flawed. Those closest to her are always quick to point out her flaws -- in fact, she often refers to them herself. But her best trait, they agree, is her loyalty, and this makes her the kind of person most people would want as a friend.

I also really enjoyed the love story in this book. Josh Templeton, the "heir apparent" to a hotel fortune and her best friend's brother to boot, isn't at all the spoiled jet-setting playboy that some have said. In fact, he works ultra-hard during the course of the book to prove his own worth, to show that he deserves his success and is not just a trust-fund baby. He was the perfect match for Margo and it was sweeter (and all the more realistic) that he has loved her all his life.

A wonderful beginning to the "Dream" trilogy.
on 28 December 2009
i have all three books in this trilogy and i have read each one over 10 times!! These books are incredible and make the reader feel amazing from start to finish! The characters really comealive with Nora's descriptions and you really get to know them by the end of the series!!! I never wanted them to end!!!!
on 15 March 2001
Like in so many of her books, Nora Roberts is able to bring her characters to life. So you share their joys and sadness. The story is the first part of a trilogy, and I personally waited until I had all three parts to start, however, the book can and does stand well on it's own.
Without giving anything away, the story is base on the lives of three women, sisters in every way but blood. This book focuses on Margo, her dreams are the wildest and richest. From the giddy heights of Milan to the magic of home. With the help of her 'sisters' and Josh, she sees that all her dreams can come true.
This book will leave to with a warm, feel good feeling.
on 2 February 2008
I love this book. From trilogy, this is my favorite. Ever since I bought it a couple of years ago, I've gone back to it again and again. I just can't get enough of it!
While it's true that Margo seems a bit too spoiled and selfish at the beginning, you also come to understand her motivation for using her body--which is her only asset--to create a world for herself. Margo is not all bad. She's caring about her friends, and in her own way, she does things for them. She gives them support, and is there when they need her.

I liked Josh from the beginning. He could easily have been a very snobbish, spoiled person, but he wasn't. He cared very much about his sister and nieces. The good relationship between him and his family was evident, and that clearly says something about him.

Although we don't see much interaction between Margo and Josh, the reader does believe that there is a caring, loving relationship developing between them. Although Josh is a bit too possessive, it's reasonable since he's had to do without Margo for a very long time. Personally, I like them and think that they would be great people to know.

If you like the DREAM series, you may also want to try Tino Georgiou's bestselling novel--The Fates--if you missed it!
on 14 September 2013
There's no denying it, Josh/Margo's relationship was incredibly passionate and one of my favourite story arcs in romance novels is when two people who have been friends for years discover that they want more than friendship.

However, I didn't really understand Margo herself. I cannot conceive how anyone, even a millionaire, could have so many luxury goods and designer clothes to warrant opening a shop to sell off her stuff. Okay, maybe if she was born into money but earning that much money from a modelling career and buying expensive vases with it?! Yes, I get blowing it on a house, expensive car, luxury travel but I still don't understand how she could have accumulated so many ludicrously priced knick-knacks. She would have been better off giving me the money instead. Hmpf.
on 24 June 2014
I have been slowly working my way through all of Nora Robert's Trilogys and I have not been disappointed by any I have read so far and I have nearly read them all!!

I bought this for my kindle for my holiday and I read all three books to this triology in 3 days by the pool I just couldnt put them down like all of her books I have read before.

This book focuses on a women who's small life is nothing compared to her big dreams and when she leaves home her dreams become a reality with a lot of hard work and a lot of luck until she trusts the wrong man and it all comes crashing down she goes back home to where she is always welcome even if she doesnt always feel it - some harsh home truths make her realise what really is important in life
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2013
As ever with Ms Roberts trilogies the main characters start out in the first book and continue through to the end. In this trilogy we meet Laura Templeton and daughter of the house. Kate the little girl adopted by the Templetons when her parents are killed and Margot the daughter of the house keeper. This story concentrates on Margot. Margot is beautiful and knows it. She decided to use her beauty to get the finer things in life and becomes a model. This is really about her rich and life falling apart and how the three girls pull together to help her. It also tells how Margot discovers true love where she didn't expect it. It is easy to read and certainly has its gripping moments. Suitable for lovers of family stories nd the romantic at heart. I loved it
on 15 May 2013
this is the first book in her The dream trilogy. I first read all three in book form a few years ago and they, all three, still held
me riveted until the last page of book three Like all Nora Roberts book they are well, written, an excellent story line
and hold your interest from the fist page. I'm not giving any story line away, other than say they are about three sisters who finally find their dreams, as I recommend you read them for yourselves.
I guarantee you won't be sorry you bought them
on 27 July 2013
I LOVE NORAH ROBERTS and have never read a book of hers that i didn't love and immediately get into and not want to put down. I have read all of her books many times over - its like being wrapped in a warm blanket in your favourite chair on a winters afternoon. I am addicted and defy any woman not to like her books.
on 21 May 2014
If it was a film I would call it a chick flick but it has far more to offer than that. It funny, romantic, entertaining and something you keep wanting to return to when you put it down. All in all a really enjoyable read once you sort the different lead character s out!