4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I am not the first to review
Published on 3 Oct. 2007 by book junkie

1.0 out of 5 stars Plot? Hmm...not so much.
Published on 5 Sept. 2008 by L. MacDougall

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I am not the first to review, 3 Oct. 2007
book junkie (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
What can I say? I so thoroughly enjoyed the previous four books that I was super hyped about getting my hands on this instalment. Disappointed? Yeah, sorta. The previous books had me hooked from page one. Read them all in record time and started to re-read them straight away. This one was a harder read. The writing was still as good, but the story was a bit urgggghhh. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it, there were some really good parts, some iffy parts and some pretty unbelievable parts - the whole V & the human relationship that he had going on. And we all know that vampire & human does not equal happiness. Remember how hard a time Rhage had when he met Mary? Lots of menacing threats from the Brothers, his fights to keep Mary with him? Gee, not a bit of that opposition when Jane came to visit. How could things have changed SO much?

The things I really did enjoy was the fleshing out of V's history, his shockng discovery of his parentage; John's continuing story and the snippits of his potential and the one really big "thing" that came up at the end of the book - a stray sibling not before mentioned. That alone will bring me back to the sixth part - plus Phury needs me, just as much as I need him.

Read the books in order, don't start at this one and you will be hooked as much as me and the legions of others who totally adore Ms Ward and her fantastic imagination. I look forward to the next book and the next and the next. Ms Ward is a force to be reckoned with now and in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plot? Hmm...not so much., 5 Sept. 2008
L. MacDougall (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lover Unbound: Number 5 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) (Paperback)
Although other readers of the Black Dagger Brotherhood may disagree - and even feel slightly offended, so I apologise in advance - these novels are really a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I do love vampire novels, but I come very much from the Anne Rice school, and as a consequence I'm slightly conflicted about JR Ward, and never more so than with this, the fifth novel.

It's not difficult to summarise the plot, because it's effectively the same as all of the other books: vampire meets girl, circumstances are engineered in order for them to spend time together, a bond forms between them which the vampire resists due to his traumatic past, girl breaks down vampire's defences, fate intervenes to separate them, hand of God comes down and saves the day. Oh, and they get married.

It's not the formulaic nature of the story I have an issue with, however; nor is it the slightly clumsy writing. Firstly, I found it hard to care particularly about Vishous, which surprised me as I've always been fond of him - but, as another reviewer pointed out, there was little evidence of his "wicked smart" intelligence in this book. I also felt Jane was somewhat insipid, but the female characters always strike me as being rather weak - with the possible exceptions of Beth and Bella. Perhaps it's understandable that they should be overshadowed by the vampires, as it's clear that where the author's own heart lies (especially with Zsadist).

I didn't feel particularly that JR Ward bottled out of the BDSM element of the book - I didn't expect her to go very far with it, these being primarily romance novels - but what I did find INCREDIBLY frustrating was the intervention, again, of the Scribe Virgin. I'm sorry, but this is a deus ex machina that Ward uses far too often - every time she gets her characters into a mess they can't get out of, here comes this goddess-like figure who can solve things for them. I struggled with the solution to the "Butch issue" in the previous book, but I was pretty disgusted with the conclusion here. It's the equivalent of writing, "and then V woke up and discovered it was all a dream".

I was also disappointed by the lack of a worthy enemy in this novel. It feels to me as if Ward is so involved in the romantic (and, to a certain extent, spiritual) world of the Brotherhood that she's forgotten that they're actually supposed to be fighting for their civilisation. The lessers were barely present in this book, and I can't help feeling that if they're this hopeless and disorganised, why didn't the Brotherhood wipe them out centuries ago?

However, I will be reading the next one, but in great part because of the reviews I've read of it on Amazon, and the promise that it's quite different from this. To potential readers, I'd say, if you liked the last four, you'll enjoy this - but how much does depend what you want from it. Romantic escapism? Well, there's some of that. More of the Brotherhood? Definitely a lot of that. Substantial plot? Hm ... not so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmm, not too sure....and that's why I'm fed up!!, 30 Sept. 2007
I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this book being published. I have recently re-read the previous books in the series, and literally couldn't wait for this next installment.

And now, although I can't put my finger on the why, I can't really say I liked this book.

It's the story of Vishous, complete with all his weird practices. Maybe he's just not the tortured soul I've come to expect from JR Ward - he seems to be pretty much in control of his (love) life and I felt the female doctor picked out as the love interest was only brought in because it's a tried and tested formula. Although the relationship between V and Butch features quite heavily in the first few pages, it's then almost conveniently brushed aside.

I finished the book within 2 days and although I know there has to be a new slant on becoming immortal, I was disappointed with the ending, or maybe confused as to why JR Ward felt she had to go down that certain track.
I don't know.......maybe I'm just not V's biggest fan. Zsadist and Rhage were my absolute favourites, and maybe there's just no living up to 'em!!
I'd be interested to see if anyone names THIS book as their favourite, but my advice would be 'buy the book' - you'll need it to keep up to date with the newcomers.

3.0 out of 5 stars First disappointment with the series, 23 Jan. 2008
Miss C (London, England) - See all my reviews
Firstly, I admit that J.R Ward's doing well to stretch the series out and each time I've picked up the next book I was sure that it one be the one to let me down. Up to this point I was always thoroughly please to be proven wrong and have loved them all. That is until Lover Unbound. I agree with the previous readers comment in that there just wasn't enough heat in this one and it did leave me a little cold. The relationship wasn't as strong and was furrowing my brows as I put the book down, unsatisfied.

I was however, intrigued by the John Matthew's sub plot and of course Phury....!He is sounding fitter and fitter by the book. And will Thor make a reappearance?

Although it's only a 3 stars rating for this one and my lowest yet, it's still not enough to stop me ordering the next!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood #5), 19 Nov. 2011
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is book five in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. This is Vishous's story.

Vishous is probably the most complex character in the brotherhood series. He is intelligent, a computer wiz. He has had it hard growing up and has suffered a great deal at the hands of his father 'The Bloodletter'. Vishous has a hard shell that he keeps wrapped around himself, keeping anyone for seeing his vulnerable side. He is Butch's best friend and the two of them have a beautiful relationship that is a pleasure to read about.

Dr Jane Whitcomb is head of the cardiac trauma team. She meets V when he is taken into her care through a gunshot wound. She finds an extraordinary discovery when she examines her patient. Vishous is soothed be Janes presence. Jane is then brought to the brotherhoods mansion to look after vishous. The two of them are a prefect match. V finds himself able to open up about his past, he feels like Jane understands.

Vishous finds out alot of shocking revelations in this book. I love hearing about the rest of the Brotherhood throughout the novels. The ending is heart rendering (i had a little cry). I read somewhere that some people had a problem with the ending to this book because they didn't get how it worked out, I didn't have that problem. But you can read The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide, which is fantastic, it give some more information.

That's all I will say as I do not want to give everything away. Vishous and Jane's story is one of my favourites in the series along with Zsadist's story.

J.R Ward is a fantastic writer and she really does do the best one liners. Next in the series is 'Lover Enshrined' Phury's story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end but I liked the rest of it!, 2 Jun. 2011
I was really looking forward to V's story and though I liked the story, I was left bitterly disappointed by the end.
I really like the Ward left the reasoning behind V's sexual needs for this novel. The fact that he is left so vulnerable after Butch and Marissa's story leaves him open to his meeting Jane and I find this is done rather cleverly by Ward.
What I think Ward could have done more in terms of the love scenes is inject more tension into it. The writing of the first scene between them is explosive and intense but I think would have benefited from more tension and more build up to the scene to provide more of a climactic moment that satisfies.
Which brings me to the scene in the penthouse. I think Ward places a lot of importance on this scene for V but it does not translate simply because it is just too short. Again, I wanted more build up and more tension to add to the sense of transcendent satisfaction both for the characters and readers alike.
What I found disappointing was the sudden appearance of the lessers at the end. Why they emerge when they do and why they do what they do is beyond confusing because Ward does not justify anything. I like that V's hand plays a significant role in the end and this is perhaps a saving grace of the end of the novel.
I like that Jane has a purpose in the novel, however, but I think this is more due to the fact that after the previous novel I really disliked Havers.
What I missed more than anything is the relationship between Butch and V. I loved the slight homoerotic nature of their relationship and I think that was missing a little bit despite the fact Jane notices it a little, I wanted to see it myself.
What I do think Ward pulls off is showing us the vulnerable side of V beneath all the mystery from the previous novels. Worth the read!

3.0 out of 5 stars This is definitely something different from J.R. Ward!, 10 Oct. 2007
There are 500 pages of Vishous story and I didn't really get what I needed from this romance novel. In the previous novels Vishous is portrayed as a smart ass, strong, bold and sure as hell of himself Brother but I couldn't find this all back when he finally takes center stage. His story starts with a shocker in his lineage department which immediately grabbed my attention and I snuggled on the couch for prime brotherhood reading time.

V has his destiny revealed and he's not in any way warming up to it. Still dealing with this he gets shot by a lesser and ending up in a human hospital finding a woman that makes him instantly growl: Mine. As Butch and Phury rescue him he demands that Dr. Jane is taken with him and arriving at his penthouse V doesn't really understand himself but is accepting the emotions he's feeling. V and Jane are discovering each other as Phury finds a darker side and John Matthew's journey continues. Still destiny will not be so easily discarded and for every joy there will a price of pain. Will V take control of his destiny or will he submit?

As I close this book I felt like I was blown away by a hurricane of chaotic storylines, though the novel is starting strong I couldn't relate to the romance of V and Jane. It was like they weren't given enough time and space to tell their story as strong, almost overbearing sub plotlines take away your attention and this left me detached. V and his preferences in the passion department was something that could have been more developed as this is such a defining part of his character. It is briefly mentioned in a scene with a female but as things got interesting J. R. Ward seems to back out on it. I feel that the emotional turmoil of V would've been better served if the domination was more developed and this would come in to conflict with his feelings for Jane. I felt disconnected with their love; their journey and this frustrated me for I know J.R. Ward can deliver.

Instead what captured my attention was John Matthew and his pre-trans adventures, emotions and his interaction with Blaylock and Qhuinn. Also Phury whom gotten more interesting with every page and at the end of the story I felt that he was taking it over, dominating the story as you will. The Scribe Virgin made me feel a moment or two relating to her but most of the time I was riding on a do-not-like-her wave. Though J.R. Ward knows how to create a spectacular romance story that keeps me anchored while a lot is going on around the main couple, this is not happening in Lover unbound. This is what I just missed the most and can't help that this feeling over rides the better parts.

I enjoyed the interaction between V and Butch, wrapping their unfinished business up very nicely, but I missed the whole prophecy direction which was such an interesting ending in Lover revealed. Though the story bears enough quality storytelling for me to keep flipping the pages it is more likely that the story of Vishous will either work for you or won't. For me it clearly didn't with certain things I just missed and the ending was like a cold shower, others maybe see it as bold or daring as love will always find a way, I think it is an unreal ending and making me feel V deserves something more and better. Overall I enjoyed the story but not so much for the love quest of V and Jane but more for the sub plotlines, interaction between the warriors and world building and I, in any case, don't want the secondary cast of characters to outshine the main hero and heroine.

This is definitely something different from J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood!

Courtesy of Realms on our Bookshelves

2.0 out of 5 stars My first disappointment from The Warden, 16 Nov. 2007
I think I've been pretty obsessed with The Brotherhood over the past several years. Obsessed to the extent that I regularly visit The Warden's (JR WARD, that is) Brotherhood corner of her website. A great place to wallow in fun fan fantasies of just what those delisciously sexy Brothers get up to when they're not in print!

When the first book came out, I was hooked. I remember being totally overwhelmed by Dark Lover, the story of Wrath. But Dark Lover and the subsequent books (up until Lover Unbound, that is): Lover Eternal (Rhage's story), Lover Awakened (Zsadist's story)and Lover Revealed (Butch's rather strange tale) all had something very compelling and special in common. They all carried on the continuity plot of the Brotherhood's battle on behalf of the Vampire Community against the 'Lessers', led by the Omega.

Lover Unbound pretty much ignores the whole reason these books have been so special to me. Vampire books, and sexy vampire books are ten a penny. But sexy vampire books with plot? Well, apart from a nod of recognition for Christine Feehan's Carpathian series (which I don't think hold a candle to the first three of JR ward's books) are about the only one's I know of.

V's story was pretty flaky, for me. Maybe because I'm not in to the whole DSDM scene and have never understood it at all. Maybe because, as a previous reviewer mentioned, this guy here is just nothing like the Vishous we encounter in previous books. None of his intelligence comes through. The explaining of his failing 'visions' was so superficial. Jane's character was cardboard. She was soooo unmoved on discovering he was a vamp. Totally accepting of his glowing/electrocuting hand... and totally up for the whole ball-gag and rubber mask scene V wanted to introduce her to. A bit too cool, for even my wild imagination! The whole mystical elements of Ouija and ghostly sister just didn't quite work for me, either. Unlike in previous books where potential shellan's were quite deeply explored and the reader developed some form of empathy/envy with the female, Jane left me cold and, worse when you're trying to immerse yourself in a book, disinterested. I even started to skim read in places.

I also held fellting hopes that we'd get some homoerotic Vishous/Butch action to put some thrill in to the book. *sighs*

The Warden spread herself too thin, I think. The tried and tested method of previous books - keep the Brotherhood/Lesser Batthe booming and build an explosive and hot romance for one of the boys, just didn't work here. Lessers were practically ignored altogether, only appearing as scene devices to enable character moods to be vented. The other Brothers missed out, too. Usually there will be cameo scenes with the guys and their shellan's or in the kitchen with Fritz, or Fritz shopping, fixing the impossibly domestic crisis....

Instead, we got a John Matthews sub-plot which turns out to be far more interesting than the love life and past history of Vishous. John Matthews deepening friendship with Blay and Qhinn is heartwarming. Flashbacks that John has of the life he doesn't even know he lived (but we do!), and his emotional memories of Tohr, are probably the most interesting and compelling in the book. John and his homies look like a New Brotherhood evolution. These three young Vamps look likely to offer some seriously thrilling storylines for the future. The other sub-plot, which is clearly the foundations for the next book, revolves around celebate Phury and his self sacrificing decision to offer hinself as BrotherStud for the 'Chosen'...

JR Ward has created such a wealth of character talent in her books. I'm sure this story is a glitch. I'm optimistic that she will revive the battles between Vampires and Lessers, allow the darker, sadistic, Lesser elements that helped to sell earlier books to reveal themselves again, and give us some Rheverend action at last!

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed for first time, 20 Mar. 2008
Having read the other reviews on this page I was relieved to see that I was not the only one disappointed in V's story. Mostly due to the fact that it was only partly V's story ...there was so much sub plot to get through particularly John's journey into the Brotherhood. Did struggle a bit with V's "tastes"- maybe I'm a bit like Butch in previous book and find it "little too freaky for my Catholic ass" but think it detracted from the V I had come to like and admire as a smart but tortured soul. Think his feelings for Butch were handled well but just couldn't see Jane as the female who could change his feelings so quickly and dramatically. Have to say did struggle with this instalment of the series and only hope that Ms Ward returns to form with Phury's story, though I am already bit wary as she has darkened his character so much in this book.Better luck next time?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 22 Sept. 2008
I loved this book.
Until I read Lover Enshrined this was by far my favourite, now it's a tie between the two of them.
In this book J.R. Ward really takes the series to another level that won't be to the taste of all readers but for me just made the series better.
The book was well written, as all of hers are, and I found that I could really connect with the characters. She has a way of writing that really makes me feel what the characters are feeling and there are some wonderfully angsty parts of this book.
This book is definitely a page turner, I couldn't put it down.
This book takes the Black Dagger Brotherhood out of the league of other paranormal romances and into one of it's own, making it by far the best paranormal romance series I have ever read.

Lover Unbound: Number 5 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Unbound: Number 5 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J. R. Ward (Paperback - 12 Nov. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01