Blood Brothers: Number 1 in series (Sign of Seven Trilogy)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 December 2007
Nora Roberts is a legend of trilogies, and BLOOD BROTHERS is the start of another winning romantic paranormal trilogy. Cal, Fox, and Gage were only ten when they unleashed the demonic power trapped beneath the Pagan Stone. Every seven years, for seven days, a horrible and deadly power is unleashed in Hawkins Hollow. People commit horrible acts, and then can't remember doing any of it.

For these three men, it's been twenty-one years since whatever entity resided in that glade was let loose. Now, it's up to them to stop it before it's too late. When Quinn comes to town, looking to research these strange events and turn them into a book, her presence seems to make the power of the three men even stronger -- but it also makes the "entity" stronger, as well. When Layla and Cybil are also drawn to Hawkins Hollow, the three men and three women band together to stop the horror that grips this town every seven years.

As I said, I really loved this book, and I can't wait for the next two books in the series. This is another winner!!! I would also like to recommend reading Tino Georgiou's masterpiece--The Fates--if you haven't yet...that is!
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
This is a kid’s book for adults and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way – I thoroughly enjoyed it for just that reason. It has horror and adventure and some good, strong characters. It is Stephen King Lite, if you like. There is just enough horror and creeps, but not the full-blown stomach churning horrible detail.

The demon in this particular case is creepy; any demon appearing as a red-eyed child will give you the creeps, especially when it tries to bury your dog in snow. As for the scene in the gym: unseen monsters in the pitch dark get my vote for the frighteners every time.

Central to this first book of a trilogy are Cal, Gage and Fox, three boys who unwittingly release the demon from its three hundred year captivity. It turns out they are related to its gaoler, so it is their job to put it back where it came from – for good.

As the story progresses three women turn up who might just happen to be related to the demon itself. This is not as straightforward as you may think. Quinn, Layla and Cybil are a feisty bunch and not what you might expect of demon spawn.

This tale is especially Cal and Quinn’s so there are a few romantic shenanigans there, as you might expect.

Nora Roberts gives the story the usual daytime TV feel which works so well, enabling the reader to settle in comfortably to what they know will be a good story, well-told.

I’ve got the other two books lined up ready to read, not all at once (too much of a horror glut), but spaced out between other reads like good sequels should be.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I can see why even Stephen King is in awe of Nora Roberts (he said so), and why he thinks she's 'cool'. Also, why she's named in Time magazine's top 100 people of 2007. When Ms. Roberts is on her A game, she is on, and the book is a return to form.

Three friends, brothers of the heart, decide to go camping at the Pagan Stone (which is expressly forbidden) to celebrate the night of them turning 10. Due to an innocent bonding ceremony, they unwittingly unleash a demon onto their town, and every seven years for seven days, evil possesses the town's residents, only to slumber for another seven years.

In the year that we meet these men, they are on the cusp of their 31st birthday, there is the notion of the quickening, the evil is coming thick and fast now, and Cal, Fox and Gage have to unite with their respective partners, and residual powers to turn the evil away. Cal is the first of the friends to go to bat, and the book is a doozy as a result.

It's similar to The Sister's Trilogy, where events of the past have warred with evil, but weren't strong enough to banish it, only to bound it. Unlike The Sister's Trilogy, the stakes in The Seven Trilogy are set that much higher, the evil is much more malevolent, and the atmosphere so very menacing. The characters seem to be that much sharper, and a bit more individual, with their little quirks that seem cute and real, like Cal and his boy scout compass.

The Blood Brothers is a good start to The Trilogy, very much in terms of atmosphere, with blood and death, and we meet all the main players in quick succession. It's book to be highly recommended, and a really quick read.

I can't wait for the third, when its Gage's time at bat. Fox (the star of the second), seems cool, but Gage has some issues with his dad, and I can't wait to see the outcome.
on 4 May 2013
This book and the whole trilogy are among the better NR novels in my opinion.
The town is possessed every 7 years and a writer of ghost/spooky stories rolls in to town to do an expo. There is mild horror, romance and a nicely drawn small town community, flashbacks to the past and a nasty demon woven into the story. I found them very readable and had to sit up to finish each one!

My niggles are
1) the completely predictable 3 women + 3 men = 3 couples set up. In real life I think all 3 blokes would have tried to hit on the stacked blonde. (But who wants real life?)
2) The way she spells magic as magick. OK a small thing, but it bugs me. She still spells music, mystic and others without problems, so why do we need the cod-14th century spelling for magic, fairy, demon etc?

Apart from that, I recommend this book, and the whole trilogy. I though it was far better than the Morrigan and Keys trilogies.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I will hold my hands up and admit that I have avoided reading Nora Roberts. I don't really have a valid reason for it; I think it might be down to the vastness of her book collection. Yet I was curious; so many people kept telling me how wonderful she was, I knew I had to give in and try one. And I did! Well I couldn't believe how utterly brilliant it was and now I want to read EVERYTHING she has ever written.
Blood Brothers was just my kind of book. Filled to the brim with paranormal elements, unsuspecting frights, suspense, tension and a really hot romance too.
This is the first book of three in the series and I get the impression that all three of the friends fall in love, a different one in each book as the horrors of Hawkins Hollow unfold.
From the first page, I was gripped and compelled to read on. Even with the goriest of storylines giving me nightmares between reads. I was so surprised to find it so frightening in parts - I never imagined Nora Roberts to write novels like that. On reading the reviews, it seems that she is extremely gifted at drawing her readers quickly into a book and definitely an author I need to study more.
The three main male characters are rather swoonsome if not a little troubled. They really do have the world on their shoulders as they prepare for the bad things that will be coming their way very soon. Quinn, the main female character swoops in and changes Cal's life, making him realise that there is more to life than the troubles that fill Hawkin's Hollow. At times Quinn is a little annoying - she was a bit full on for me - very direct and forthright in her nature.
I loved the way the little group of six formed a united front. The way their lives were entwined together; the circumstances that brought about their involvement with each other.
All the characters in the book stood out. I am guessing this author likes to know each and every one's back story, as they are extremely life like in nature, each with their own set of problems and beliefs.
The ending wasn't as climatic as I thought it would be, but I understand why as this is only the first book of the three and I can see that the suspense will only build and build as the series progresses.
I desperately need the next two books now - I have to know what happens next.
I shall enjoy welcoming Nora Roberts into my book collection.
on 13 February 2014
I normally read all three parts of a trilogy before I comment, read nearly all of Nora's work... I love the mix of magical and real words she manages to make very believable. This was a trilogy I didn't fancy reading and so have put off getting it for a year, choosing others from her ahead of this. I don't know what I waited for, its very different in feel and atmosphere than her normal work. Where in the past, each part of a trilogy has concentrated on two central people, this has a much more equal feel about it, and all six main people are in the mix from half way through this book, and I loved it. Just the right amount of "it could happen" to it. She hasn't developed the whole tale in the first part, and has left me wondering what they are going to do to beat the "evil"..... great, cant wait to get to bed to read more.... always a sign of a good book for me. - Just as a note, if you have not read any Nora Roberts before (where have you been) - I am an avid reader, and she NEVER disappoints - a bit like a good ROMCOM with Sandra Bullock or Meg Ryan it it.... you know you can settle down and forget all your worries. she is THAT good....
on 1 January 2008
Well I absolutely loved this book, it had me hooked from page one and I did not want it to finish!!

Nora Roberts was on form here and now we have to wait until about April for book 2 - no fair!!

Set in Hawkins Hollow it's the story of an 'evil' released by three boys cal, gage and fox on their 10th birthday. Every seven years there are a few weeks when the small town goes 'mad' and murder and meyhem happen. Cal, Gage and Fox are now men and know its related to what happened on their birthday, the feelings and happenings are earlier and stronger this year and they all feel the time has come for a fight to the death between good and evil.

Quinn is the main female introduced during this part of the trilogy, a reporter investigating paranormal happenings in rural America she arrives in Hawking Hollow. Though Cal is reluctant to tell her too much initially it becomes apparant that she has some connection both to Hawkins Hollow and to him.

Great book, everything you expect from the brilliant Nora Roberts when she is on form!!
on 2 January 2008
Well, I thought I enjoyed the Irish, the Three Sisters and In The Garden trilogy's. But the first part of the Sign of Seven Trilogy, Blood Brothers has completely blown me away. This is by far the best book i've read in a long time. It has it all... in particular my favourite, chills and thrills... to the point where I thought i'd have to sleep with the lights on... and on Boxing day morning at 4am!!! Thats a compliment though as to how truly spectacular this book is.

Blood Brothers was a dream to read. And if you don't take my word for it and order this now you are depriving yourself!

Thank you Nora if you read this...can't wait for the next installment.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I cannot wait for the next book in the trilogy I have not yet finished only a few chapters to go but had to tell you it is excellent I think Nora is a genius she has a great imagination.athie McDermott
on 25 April 2014
This is only the second Nora Roberts I have read, if it had been the first I do not think i would ever have read one again. The first part of the book when they were kids was engagingly written but the rest of the book seemed to be padded out with lots of leaden dialogue that made the characters seem thick, the middle section was just boring and the "scary" bits not scary in the slightest. The ending was a total anticlimax. The first Nora Roberts I read was Red Lily - it passed the time over a dull Bank Holiday and at least had gardening tips.