4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable tale set in Regency England
Julia Quinn's regency romances all have a very particular flavour; this author excels in writing dialogue between characters, usually witty and snappy, and her main characters are often intelligent people who are matches for each other.

Published on 14 Aug 2007 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite
Well, every great author slips up now and then. Regular readers will probably enjoy this, but this is not up to her usual standards.

Published on 21 Nov 2008 by Tweedy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite, 21 Nov 2008
Tweedy (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)

The leads are not sufficiently defined and sometimes seem to act out of character which does jar a little and they are, at times not overly likable. The story is a little sicky sweet, but there is a gentle humour that runs through that does help take some of the edge off.

So, not bad but certainly not great. But you may need to lower your expectations if you are a lover of Julia Quinn's other romances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable tale set in Regency England, 14 Aug 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)

"The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever" follows this pattern. Miranda Cheever first falls in love with Lord Turner, the eldest brother of her best friend, when she is ten. He's nine years older than her and is just helping out his sister Olivia's friend by escorting her home and giving her a little pep-talk. Olivia is clearly going to be beautiful when she grows up, Miranda is rather more plain and gangly and so Turner says a few nice words to her - and she promptly falls in love.

The story moves on nine years to the funeral of Turner's wife. Leticia turned out to be an awful woman and Turner is relieved at her death. He vows not to marry again and has become rather hard and cold. Unfortunately for him, with Miranda running tame about his parents house they meet up on many occasions and he finds himself rather drawn to her. When Miranda and Turner find themselves in an awkward situation they have to try to build an adult relationship out of what was a childhood infatuation.

It's in this part of the book that I felt the author was less successful. As in so many romances published today, the central point of the plot is that the hero can't say "I love you" even if his actions show that he does; resolution of the book only comes when the man realises his mistake and verbalises the words. I find all this rather difficult to believe in a Regency setting, particularly in a society when marriages often were for social position rather than love and this would be considered the norm for most people. As usual in Julia Quinn's books the historical setting is rather vague. Her characters speak with modern concepts and constructs, if sometimes in Regency language, they use American rather than English word forms in many cases, and their behaviour isn't accurate for the period in many cases.

Still it's an enjoyable read with a rather touching scene at the end when Miranda has a child and Turner is a pleasant enough, if sometimes a little vague, hero. The original avuncular relationship between him and Miranda still seems partly in place and Miranda's vacillating feelings, although understandable, are sometimes annoying. This book is, however, a great deal better than a lot of the Regencies out there because of the spirited heroine, pleasant hero and good cast of supporting characters.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book, [...] Helen Hancox 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A Regency Miranda, 19 Mar 2013
I have to admit that I borrowed this from my Local Library, but it is yet another one that I will definitely download to my Kindle at some point. I could happily read Julia Quinn over and over again.

Miss Miranda Cheever fell in love at the age of 10. Completely, utterly and irrevocably in love with the 19 year old Viscount Turner.

He was an embittered widower some 8 years later, and Miranda a grown woman.....could he love again, and would it be Miranda.

Well, I have to say I fairly sobbed my way through the end of this one. I just loved it, and am still mopping up the happy tears off my desk quite some time later!!

A big fat 5 Star ***** rating for another well crafted, humorous and brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book so much!!!!, 2 Dec 2008
emjem (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)
I can't tell you how much I love Julia Quinn's books, they are all so beautifully written, and it is quite easy to loose yourself within them!!

This book is all about two friends, Miranda and Olivia . Olivia's family agree to take Miranda to London to have a season, as Miranda's mother died and her father doesn't seem to notice her anymore. Miranda has been in love since she was just ten years old. With Olivia's brother Turner. Will she get the one man she has loved for so long, or will the London season change Miranda's heart?

The one problem that I have with all of Julia Quinn's books is I want to read them again, again and again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderfully real, I might re-read it!, 20 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)
This is the first romantic book I have read, I usually favour the horror genre (KING, KOONTZ) but The Secret Diairies of Miss Miranda Cheever was simply wonderful! I am now on my third Quinn novel. The characters are truly brought to life, you may find yourself thinking of them long after you have finished this journey. They are not flawless to any degree which is refreshing, believeable and relatable. What I enjoy most about Quinn is that the characters are not predictable, whenever I thought, Oh Gosh I know whats coming next, I was always surprised yet in a completely realistic, genuine way. Plus, I did laugh out loud with this novel ("Sheep", "Goats"...hilarious!). It is a bit cheesy in places but once your on the jouney who can resist it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty leading man., 9 July 2014
Ugh. I'm a massive Julia Quinn fan, but I spent the entire book waiting for the leading man to become less rapey, creepy and emotionally unavailable. I didn't like him at all. Miranda was a weird mix of mopey and firecracker, which felt a bit incongruous. However, I enjoyed the next one in the series a LOT.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)
This was OK. Not the best JQ, but not the worse. I liked the heroine and grew to like Turner. I enjoyed the chemistry between the two who were obviously made for each other. One thing I do like about JQ books is that the heroine is not always obviously beautiful.

btw I always enjoy it when characters from her other books are mentioned and I noted the Duke of Ashbourne was in this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julia Quinn, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever (Paperback)
A very enjoyable story as all Julia Quinn books are and worth reading the whole series if you enjoy the Regency period.

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, 15 April 2014
Disappointing,the heroine is irritatingly silly,the hero not particularly inspiring,and the whole left me feeling as if I had over indulged in this kind of formulaic regency romance

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, could have been loads better, 8 Dec 2013
"Miranda wasn't sure whether she wanted to laugh or to cry"

That about sums about most of the book.

I read this because I was looking for a feel good book but that didn't work out too well for me. I enjoyed it but I was also annoyed by it.

For starters Nigel/Turner was a lot more mature when he was 19 then he was at 29. It really annoyed me to see him act like such a baby. The scene in the prologue was absolutely beautiful and I couldn't seem to wrap my head around the fact that he became such a 'whiner'. I understand that something horrible happened to them that took away his fate in love and humanity and laddy laddy la but his reaction seemed more like teenager throwing a tantrum than an adult getting his heart broken.

Miranda was supposed to be smart. While she wasn't nearly as annoying as Nigel (I know he prefers to be called Turner but I like Nigel better so deal with it) it bothered me when she couldn't see Nigel's facade and was so insecure. If he didn't love her he wouldn't have done have the stuff he did. You don't just 'like' someone and do all that. I also hated how she could act so insecure. If she believes herself to be smart and different some of the things shouldn't bother her as they did.

I wasn't a big fan of Olivia's and kind of agree with what Nigel said about her. She was annoying and never seemed to understand when Miranda said no. Like with the whole thing with Winston.

As with the plot, well again it was the whole back and forth thing b/w Nigel and Miranda. I didn't know whether to laugh or whether to cry. The romance was actually alright. It could have been better but I quite enjoyed it. I did wish there was more of the fun banter that seems to be common in this genre. I am sure fans of historical romances will enjoy this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever
The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn (Paperback - 2 Aug 2007)
7.55