5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff... keeps you guessing right to the end!
Published on 8 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Just silly.
Published 5 months ago by Elizabeth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff... keeps you guessing right to the end!, 8 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
This was the first Nora Roberts book I ever read.. and it sent me straight out looking for more. It is an excellent story, cleverly written with loads of suspense making you eager to turn the pages, while at the same time hoping never to reach the end of the book. Best of all for me, you don't find out who the 'baddie' is until the last few pages of the book. Let's have more like this please!

5.0 out of 5 stars another one to enjoy in one sitting, 8 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Sanctuary (Hardcover)
A fantastically written romantic suspense, with emphasis on both romance and suspense. this is a fast paced story with more than a couple of characters. Set on an island off the coast of Savannah, Sanctury is Jo Ellen Hathaway's childhood home. though lushly beautiful, the memorires of Sanctury are not all good. a child hood tragedy means she prefers the wide world to her island home, and her job as a photographer allows to travel all over. but events force Jo to come back to the family house and she is made to deal with the past when Nathan Delaney, an architecht with a mysterious secret, comes to stay on the island. However as the sparks fly between the two, both are unaware of a danger that will threaten everyone they care for.
this is vintage Nora Roberts, with the two main charcters having a great chemistry between them, an extended family having crucial roles and suspense to keep you guessing until the very end. throughly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic Nora Roberts!, 27 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
This book is a classic Roberts. Jo and Nathan are fascinating characters who have their own demons to deal with, as once again people are being murdered - like Jo's mother - on the island of Sanctuary where Jo and her sister and brother grew up. The entwining of Jo's and Nathan's lives only adds to the suspense as does the fact that Jo is the killer's prime target!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 21 Feb. 2011
Mrs. V. Leete "Vanessa" (Great Yarmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
I loved 'Sanctuary', I thought the whole book was brilliant, I was into this book from the 1st page to the last page. The romance in it, I thought was spectacular, but found some of it quite emotional, I did shed some tears when I got so far into the book, at one stage I felt so sorry for Nathan and Jo. I do not want to mention what it was, otherwise it will spoil it for other readers. I just could not put the book down.

The only criticism regarding some of the books of Nora Roberts, find that the ending is quite often rushed, I feel that it leaves loose ends, and there should be a few more pages added to her books. If their is an epilogue then that does tie up loose ends.

I do love Nora Roberts books, whenever I can I buy them, I have quite a few of hers now, and that is all I am reading at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story with a grip thrill and tanalizing romance, 27 April 2001
Mrs. V. Y. M. Thomas (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Mass Market Paperback)
I've started Nora Roberts by accident stumbling her The River End at the library, then I keep on look out for her books. Just as I did with Johanna Lindsey, Catherine Cookson and Diana Gabldon. Well this one is another success of Ms Roberts, a good story line and a grip of who done it. Of course the romance part is as delicious as always. Thank you for writing all these good books and I do really appreciate for a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 20 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
This is a powerful read. A woman returns to her childhood home called Sanctuary which she thought she had escaped long ago. Her mother had disappeared and it affected her and her siblings in different ways. Now she is receiving strange pictures and finally a picture of her mother, apparently dead. She decides to return to Sanctuary to face up to her past. Her presence stirs up old family resentments. She meets an architect who is also battling his own demons and they are attracted to each other. A sinister presence is watching the family with interest. Sanctuary is not the safe place she thought it would be. a wonderful read with plenty of suspense as befits Nora Roberts. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good once it got going, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
This is the first Nora Roberts book that I have read; I kept on coming across her books so I decided to give one a go. I'm going to cheat a little and give you the blurb as this is a thriller and it would be far too easy to give the story away:

Photographer Jo Ellen Hathaway thought she'd escaped the house called Sanctuary long ago. She'd spent her loneliest years there, after the sudden, unexplained disappearance of her mother. But now someone is sending her pictures: strange, candid close-ups, culminating in the most shocking portrait of all- a photo of her mother, dead.

She decides she must return to Sanctuary to face her past. While her presence stirs up old family resentments, Jo finds solace with architect Nathan Delaney - who is also battling his own demons. But a sinister presence is still watching the Hathaway family with interest. It seems Sanctuary may be the most dangerous place of all...

I have to admit that it took me a while to get into this book and I'm not really sure why as the action starts immediately. The story was really good and once I was engrossed I thought that the pace of the book was excellent. There are quite a few characters in this book but the author does not skimp on details, we get a good picture of each one. Nora Roberts builds the tension up throughout the story and keeps you guessing to the very end. I haven't read a thriller like this for a long time; Roberts describes what she writes as Romantic suspense which is spot on really. I'm sorry that this review is not very detailed but it would be too easy to spoil for anyone. If you like the occasional thriller though, then I would give Nora Roberts a go; she has written many books so there is a good selection to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success.., 4 Feb. 2009
N. Gibson (Cumbia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
Nora Roberts is fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As usual with her books, I couldn't put it down because I needed to know what happens next. If you've never read a Nora Roberts before then now is the time to start, easy to read, plenty of suspicion and a good mix of different and likeable characters, and a bit of romance, what more do you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars sanctuary, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Sanctuary (Paperback)
I read a taster for this at the back of High Noon (another good read), so was really pleased to be able to order a copy.
The story revolves around Jo Ellen, who returns to the family home to face her past and also escape from a threat to her future. There are sub plots relating to the lives and loves of her siblings, and a dark secret of a childhood sweetheart that weaves into the disappearance of Jo Ellen's mother 20 years previously.
This is one of the better Ms Roberts books (my secondhand copy was printed in 1997) and I have found that about some of her earlier stories. Although I had an inkling of the end result (I confess I do read a lot), this kept me gripped from the first chapter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just silly., 9 Aug. 2014
Elizabeth "Elizabeth" (Leeds, W. Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Kindle Edition)
I really disliked the characters; selfish, vain, bordering on stupid. As for the promised 'edge of seat' suspense... The moment the heart-throb turns up and mentions the recent deaths.... suspense goes out the window. You'd have to be as half-witted as the characters not to suss it immediately. I've read a couple of Roberts' books now and this is my last I'm afraid. Back to Billingham or Nesbo for me!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sanctuary
Sanctuary by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 25 Sept. 2008)