5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read!
Published on 23 April 2006 by Kristi Ahlers

3.0 out of 5 stars Lover Eternal was a big improvement over Dark Lover
Rhage is the prettiest member of the deadly Black Dagger Brotherhood. Because of his movie-star good looks and way with the ladies, his brothers call him Hollywood. He has also been cursed by the Scribe Virgin to shift into a dragon-like form whenever he cannot control his temper or keep himself in check; the only way to keep the beast at bay is a steady diet of sex and...
Published on 6 Sept. 2010 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read!, 23 April 2006
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
Rhage is a member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. He is a warrior and with the help of his fellow brothers he fights those that kill vampires living a life of violence and loneliness. Not only does he have his vampire life to deal with there is the added matter of the curse put on him by the Scribe Virgin. It forces him to live a life without being allowed to feel and love...that is until Mary comes into his life. Mary is sick. Her leukemia has come back to haunt her and her options are few and than she meets Rhage. This handsome man is more then she has ever allowed herself to imagine. He's handsome, strong, and he wants her? Will she live to see her own happy ending?

First off this is a page turner! Ms. Ward has created a dark but sensual and entertaining series. The romance between Rhage and his Mary is at turns sensual, romantic, and heartbreaking! Make sure you have Kleenex handy. Secondary characters are pivotal to the story and her secondary storyline revolving around the "lessers" continues. This is not your regular vampire read and the groundwork for Zsadist's story has been introduced cleverly. This is a unique and enthralling read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Readalicious, 12 Mar. 2006
Oh My Gosh!
I had read Dark Lover, the first book in the Brotherhood series and waited, very patiently, for Lover Eternal to come out.
It was more than worth the wait!
The story of Mary and Rhage is so romantic and heartfelt. I cried, laughed and anticipated every page reading this book.
The next book, Zhadist's story is due out in September and i cannot wait.
I highy recommend this book and the first book to anyone who is a lover of paranormal romance and to those who simply want a good read.
There are lots more books to come from this fantastic series and the amazing author JR Ward, and i cant wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the rest in the series, 11 Aug. 2006
The second instalment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood was defiantly not a disappointment. The story has not only flowed nicely from the first book into this one but you really become involved in the characters individual stories. Predicting future plot lines is driving my crazy and I can't wait to here Zsadist's story due out in September (It feels like years away).

Ward has created a nice alternative from the usual vampire novels having them as a civilisation struggling to survive against the lesser who hunt them.

Mary is the heroine of this story; she has previously suffered with Leukemia and had extensive treatment. However the leukaemia appears to be returning and Mary as strong as she is dreads what lays ahead. When Mary meets a boy in need her neighbour Bella introduces them to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, little does Mary know what the boy is or the world she is about to get mixed up in.

When Mary and Rhage (hero) first meet you cant help but be excited about what's to come. Definitely a book I didn't want to put down, Rhage's story is gripping as his character develops you learn he is not only the sexy, tough guy he initially came across as in the first book but he is also a man consumed by his curse and in need of love.

The subplot involving Zsadist and Bella was excellent and as I got to the last page I was desperate to continue L

Butch's remains a character in this book and it's great to see his bond with the brotherhood continue, but I would have liked to see a bit more development of his and Marissa's romance (or lack of).

I agree with the previous reviews that Rhage was a much more interesting hero, and I too felt I really came to know him and what made him tick. However I would definitely suggest beginning with book one as it is a great introduction to the series.

I cant stress enough how much I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, these books are defiantly worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow and wow again, 11 Mar. 2006
Lola Creole (London,England) - See all my reviews
I was waiting with baited breath for this book as I'd read Dark Lover and had enjoyed it immensely. I was not disappointed. Ward takes us through the journey that is Mary and Rhages’ relationship, interweaving excitement, passion and tenderness into the equation as well as making all the characters involved seem fleshed out and very real. The intensity of feeling between the two main characters Mary and Rhage is palpable and although the time frame of this story is just a matter of days, it’s crammed packed with so much excitement you feel that Mary has known Rhage much longer. In addition you also get some insights into Z (my favourite Brother), his mate Bella and a glimpse at possible future plotlines (without spoiling the anticipation).
I received Lover Eternal the day after it was published and although I tried to make it last as I didn't want it to end, I'd finished it by the end of that same day. All I should really say is buy this book. If you love modern paranormal romance, you can’t get any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it,,Loved it,,Loved it.....!!!, 13 May 2006
R_A_C (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
...you guessed it,,,I absolutely loved this story (Dark Lover is just as good..!) BDB is my first venture into Fantasy romance and, all I can say, is WOW! Highly recommended and I'm not sure that I can add anything to what has already been said on the reviews here but, if you want a fab, unusual read then buy these two books...!! Ms Wards talent is vibrant and very clever - she gives you just enough info on the other brotherhood characters to keep the juices flowing which cleverly gives you insight into the next story - in this case, Z's story!! Roll on September..!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Lover Eternal: Number 2 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) (Paperback)
Wow, I loved this book. Its far better than the first one, i didn't get Wrath the Blind King.

Rhage, however, oh my god. I must have read some sections 3 times with a huge grin on my face and a rapid pulse. Dear lord the dude is sex on legs.

I actually blushed a couple of times!

Seriously, girls, I defy anyone to not love the guy and the beast within. I loved Mary too, she is so sweet and insecure just like most of us, I really identified with her. She's an average 30 year old woman who has suffered from leukemia. Rhage is a 6ft 6 blond warrior with a beast (dragon) within. He's funny, sexy, dangerous (pant) and a fantastic lover, but if he loses control his curse is that he turns into a hideous dragon monster who does not know the difference between friend or foe.

Unfortunately, his beast trys to rear its ugly head every time he gets near Mary in a sexual way. He is falling for her , but cant be with her without the risk of turning and killing her. She sees it as rejection because, hey, hes a six foot six blond god and she is little miss average. The sexual tension is amazing and I swear I could not put it down. BUY IT you wont regret it, but I would read Dark Lover first just to get into the whole series as the world they live in is a tad confusing and you get to see Rhage before he meets Mary.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Want Even More, And It STILL Won't Be Enough!, 1 Jun. 2006
The first book, "Dark Lover", in the unique Black Dagger Brotherhood, was no big thrill for me. Sorry to all those instantly loytal fans out there (as I take a formal bow of respect), but I found that the first book fell flat in so many ways: underdeveloped characters, silly comic book style names that were just so at odds with such a strong new concept for a vampire series. There's a thrill that readers experience though, when they've picked up a book they had high expectations for, and you just KNOW after the first few pages that the author has come through for you in a big way. That rush of satisfaction was my intro to J. R. Ward's fabulous second book in the series and I'm still flying high.

Within the Black Dagger Brotherhood resides a set of warrior vampires dedicated to the protection of their endangered race. Rhage is such a warrior - Proud, aloof and fiercely loyal to his kind, he's fighting everyday to keep his inner cursed self from wreaking too much havoc on their lives. Punished for an unforgivable and negligent slight, the Scribe Virgin (The vamps goddess) has cursed him with an alter ego, one that is only to happy to break out when the going gets tough and tough calls for a little more force. With the Lessers becoming an even more frequent problem, Rhage is finding it difficult to keep his beast from taking over. Of course, shy and innocent Mary Luce may have something to do with that too. Mary knows about curses. She's survived a gravely personal one of her own. When that same curse comes back to bite her where it counts, she's not looking for commitments of any kind. She's going to need all her strength to focus on her coming battle. So maybe that's why she didn't see Rhage coming. And man, does he ever come on strong. It's the kind of instant, primal attraction that every vampire knows is his body's way of saying "mine". And Mary is his. He'll have to fight literally tooth and nail for her, but he'll get what he wants, even if it means sacrificing what he wants most.

I was torn whether or not to continue with this series. Wrath's story in "Dark Lover" was an okay debut, but Rhage's story blew me away. With this second installment, readers are blessed with stellar character development and the continuation of a very unique plot that keeps getting better and better. The story has flowed nicely from the first book into this one and I was very pleased to see more details about the world that Ward has created. The subplot involving Zsadist and Bella was excellent and has left me weeping for the next book (releases Sept. '06, entitled "Lover Awakened"). We still get lots of Butch's smart alec comments, though I fear he may continue to be a supporting character only (I want to know more about him and Marissa, not just the snippets we're getting in this book!). Rhage was a much more interesting hero, and I felt I really came to know him and what made him tick. His helplessness about his curse intermingles nicely with his solid determination to have as much a life as possible with Mary. Mary, thank goodness, is just as interesting a heroine. Her own battle with a recurring medical problem draws readers in and her zeal for life invokes honest emotions that many of us have felt. My only wish was for a better insight into the lessers' motives and machinations. But hey, all in good time I suppose. I just love the way this series is going now, and I feel the tide has turned with this installmnet. It can only get better. Ward, we're all eagerly anticipating Zsadist's story!!

K. Montgomery

Official Reviewer for The Mystic Castle

5.0 out of 5 stars I am speechless ........ WOW..... BRAVO, 17 Mar. 2007
"Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover - for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Owned by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a surviver of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of he own. Mary is not looking for love. She lost her faith in miracles years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves... "

I am absolutely, utterly and COMPLETELY in love with this series. What a story, what a thrill. The story is interesting,erotic, rich with twists and turns,packed with action and breathtakingly moving romance. The characters with unbelievably intriguing, deep personalities and handsome (the picture one gets from only the description of the brothers, handsome just doesn't cover it)!!! Even though all the brothers are SO different, their bond is unbreakable. Rhage's and Mary's love and passion for each other is incredible. The whole book is AMAZINGLY well written. I can not wait to read the next book :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to rate this book more highly!, 20 Mar. 2006
Voracious for Books "Voraciousforbooks" (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I agree with the previous reviewers, this book is brilliant. J.R.Ward's writing just blew me away, just like the first book in the series. Frankly I don't know how I can wait until the next book comes out in September, I may spontaeously combust with impatience!
Ward has penned a marvelous world featuring a race of vampires, where the slayers are the evil bad guys. The vamps aren't preying on humans but defending them, they feed from other vamps of the opposite sex. This tale is sexy, dark, funny and mesmerising. Don't read this book while your travelling into work, or you'll miss your stop, either deliberately or accidently. This is one you'll want to read in one sitting without interruption.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent continuation of an interesting vampire series, 23 Nov. 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the second book in J R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series (the first being "Dark Lover", the third "Lover Awakened" and, to be released in March 07, "Lover Revealed"). The story takes place a month after the events in "Dark Lover" and with the same cast of characters.

These characters are very well drawn. We have Wrath (the King who has now stepped up to his position with his new wife Beth), Rhage, Zsadist, Phury, Tohrment etc. Very silly and cheesy names which I find disappointing - it's about the only complaint I can make overall about these books!

Anyway, this book follows the story of Rhage, the Vampire Brother with a curse... he has a dragon beast inside him which is released at times of great stress. In order to keep the beast under wraps Rhage has to have sex with women regularly (so THAT'S his excuse!) and get into fights with the lessers, the vampire slayers. He's pretty fed up with life - the seduction of women evidently palls after a while - and he knows he's got 91 years of the curse left before it leaves him.

Mary is a lonely woman who works at a suicide hotline in her spare time and in a law office for her main job. Her mother died four years ago and Mary has recently had leukaemia which is now in remission... or is it?

Mary's discovery of her cancer returning coincides with her meeting a young man who regularly calls the suicide hotline - a man who can't speak but can only use sign language (which Mary understands). Her neighbour Bella (who just happens to be a vampire, unknown to Mary) recognises that this young lad is 'one of them' and contacts the Black Dagger Brotherhood about him.

And thus Mary and Rhage meet. He's instantly attracted to her which of course she doesn't believe, seeing as she's a pretty ordinary looking lass and he's colossally handsome. Their paths continue to cross and Rhage goes against all the advice of his Brothers and continues to be in contact with Mary.

What's good about this book is the continuation of other plot lines and the introduction of the story of Bella and Zsadist which is the focus of the next book. Mary and Rhage's relationship moves slowly as she is so unsure of herself, of him, of her health and of his morals (and rightly so!) Butch the human is still in this book, still mooning unsuccessfully after Marisa, and he adds a little extra to the story.

Overall I very much enjoyed this book - there is character building, interesting plots, the scenes with the Lessers don't quite work for me always but they are few and far between - in fact, the Lessers are pretty weak opponents to the Brotherhood in this series. What was well written was Mary's fears about her illness and what caring for her would do to Rhage in the long run.

My only negative point about this book is that the Scribe Virgin (the Vampires' deity) comes in at the end rather as a "Deus ex Machina" to fix a significant problem in the story and it feels rather cheating and an easy way out. Still that's not a major complaint and it doesn't spoil the book.

Read and enjoy!

Lover Eternal: Number 2 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Eternal: Number 2 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J. R. Ward (Paperback - 15 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01