5.0 out of 5 stars hooked and reeled in
Published on 24 May 2005 by sharon plowman

3.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing BUT!!!!!
I have long been a romance fan and am a strong fan of Linda Howard,Nora Roberts and Stephanie Laurens et al. But living in the uk it has previously been difficult, to find new romance authors. Because of this I have paid keen interest to the amazon suggestions and reviews. These reviews have introduced to the truly excellent Karen Mairie Moning and Julia Quinn...
Published on 20 Aug 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars hooked and reeled in, 24 May 2005
sharon plowman "shaz" (Millom, Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I really have no idea what the first reviewer is wittering on about. This is the first of Christine Feehans books that I have read, in fact my first vampire book. I was enthralled from start to finish and have developed a thirst for more. I like the idea that there is this seperate race of beings that have untold power but still need to love and be loved. Lucian is what every woman wants, a powerfull man to love and protect her but who has the sense to let her be her own person. The power of this book is about balance. Lucian in spite of his strength and incredible abilities still needs a woman to ground him and keep him from self destruction. Jaxon is an intersting character in her own right with her own seperate abilities. This book works because you care about what happens to the main characters and want to follow their progress. This book made me want to live in their world, made me want to fight vampires, to be converted, and I don't think that the next time my husband nibbles my neck that I'll feel the same way about it! I have always given vampire tales a wide birth as I used to think that there was somthing uncomfortable about the thought of a male physically dominating a woman but with the way Ms Feehan as made Lucian vulnerable to the power of love and the way she descibes the need for him to cherish and protect his 'lifemate' make this story heartwarming. The sex scenes are finally crafted without to many euphamisims or to little detail just enough to pull you in without being overly salacious I intend to start from the first book in this series and follow through to the end as I'm keen to get to know the other members of this vibrant sexy world that this author has created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, Sexy and soo... wicked!, 31 Aug 2003
This is my first Christine Feehan's Dark series and boy, am I hooked! Lucian is probably the most powerful of all the Carpathians, the oldest of all the ancients and gifted with a power beyond the imagination of most. Feared by even the ancients of his race, Lucian's existence was an extremely solitary one, especially when he had to break off his relationship with his twin, Gabriel. Despite all this, once he meets Jaxxon, his human lifemate, he became an extremely gentle (well, by Carpathian standards anyway) lover. Patient with her fears (not that she has that many. Jaxon is my favourite heroine in all the Dark books), protective of her feelings, strong and sexy Lucian is her perfect match. The love scenes in this book are hot, as is Ms Feehan's trademark, but the characters' obvious love for each other was also well expressed. Other than the final meeting with Jaxxon's step-father, I felt that the whole story ties together brilliantly. A wonderful hero, a courageous heroine, this is a book that you can enjoy your quiet evening in with and dream about the hero after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Aug 2002
This was the first book i read from Feehan's Dark series - i picked it up in an airport for an easy read on the plane and was hooked! My intention of discarding it at my destination was thrown out the window. Ive never really been a fan of writers who go all out to descibe in minute detail explicit love scenes, but Feehan does it with such panache and skill and weaves the fantasy/supernatural themes through it so cleverly, that i couldnt help but like it. She kept the pace of the plot going throughout, teasing the reader with little snippets of info on the carpathians so i couldn't put it down for the duration of my flight - 8 hours, which went by so fast i truly didnt notice! Lucian was just the right mix of dangerous and desirable male, while Jaxon - who started out seeming inaccessible and too independant - gradually showed her vulnerable side and opened up. They made a great couple. Now i just have to start reading the series in order to understand the background, and the characters feehan kept referring to! Can't wait....

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better 'Dark' stories, 4 July 2008
This review is from: Dark Guardian: Number 9 in series ('Dark' Carpathian) (Paperback)
I found this book to be a much better read then the other 'Dark' books I've read.

However,I felt the author should have made Jaxon more objective to her 'Carpathian' transformation, instead of calmly accepting it. After all she is supposed to have a very independent nature!

The other complaint I have about this book is the use of the word 'honey'
Come on, Lucian is 2000yrs old, with Old World manners. So, wouldn't he use terms of endearment he learnt eons ago before he lost all emotion, and since his speech tends to reflect this, instead of the modern day endearments?
Except for those 2 objections, I enjoyed the book and found I couldn't put it down, till I reached the end. The chemistry between the H/H was great, very believeable.

A star less, because of the two complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Superb edition to the DARK SERIES, 4 May 2002
This another superb edition to Christine's DARK series.. this time featuring Jaxx she's a woman who has had everything she loves or befriends taken away.. violently.. by her deviant of a step father.... enter.. Lucian.. Lucian is the twin brother of Gabriel featured in Dark Legend.. Jaxx is his lifemate.. its highly entertaining because Jaxx is worried that her stepfather will kill Lucien.... he laughs it off... he finds it intriguing to find someone who is not frightened of him... but for him...... I shall say no more of the story.. but its excellent..

3.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing BUT!!!!!, 20 Aug 2003
By A Customer
After such a wonderful introduction and despite being new to paranormal romances, I was willing to try Christine Feehan.
I bought both Dark Guardian and Dark Prince. I found them to be engrossing reads. The female roles she created were strong and engaging. And the sense of passion she creates between the 2 characters leaps of the page. If this was all I would have been able to rate Dark Guardian higher.

However my major reservation with both books is the lack of conscious choice that occurs. That two such strong women are seduced into another world during times when they are most vulnerable was something I found distrubing. And for the characters, author and readers seriously disappointing, all of whom deserved better. This was not romance.
However even with this reservation, the quality of the good bits in the story were enough to encourage me to read some of the others in the seris. It is my hope that in those books where both Characters are Carpathians. I will find the best of this book without the worst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark guardian, 9 April 2014
Fantastic read loved the characters and story lines just can't wait to read the next book highly recommended this read.

2.0 out of 5 stars monotonous, 18 Mar 2014
I think this series has become boring and monotonous, this has to be the worst book ive read from this author, jaxxon was a strong female character only to become whiney I didnt feel the characters were fully dimensional and I doubt ill be reading another of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 6 Dec 2013
Mizz Amanda (penwortham, uk) - See all my reviews
loved this book one of the best one I have read in awhile would highly recommend it, a favoured author of mine

5.0 out of 5 stars once again enthralled!, 25 Nov 2013
This book is one of many well written vampire books by an amazing autor that captures the reader in a world of romance colour and detail. Not like todays puff vamps that sparkle in the sun! They don't sparkle they burn! They're violent brooding creatures of the night. No one story is like another in this series, it has a way of keeping you on your toes making you want more. I have stayed awake for 8 hours reading this, I'm hooked. And I don't need rehab from this one!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb0620180)

Dark Guardian: Number 9 in series ('Dark' Carpathian)
Dark Guardian: Number 9 in series ('Dark' Carpathian) by Christine Feehan (Paperback - 2 Aug 2007)
6.29