Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2007
I like to read a bit of romance now and again instead of the usual crime thrillers I usually like to read.I don't like your typical Mills and Boon type romance, I do however like romance type mysteries and Linda Howard is the best!there's always a good story and a nice hot romance,she doesn't dissapoint!
on 16 September 2007
I have been a fan of Linda Howard's since "the mackenzie's" first came out & she has been a consistantly good writer - ok, so the last couple of books lost their way, but she is still an author you can rely on.
Having read the reveiews for "Cover Of Night", i decided to forgoe this book & wait & see - but the reveiws didn't improve & to be quite honest i didn't want to pay too much for a book that might be below parr.
I came upon a copy in my local book store going cheap & thought why not - and see, this is why you shouldn't believe everything you read.
When i started this book, i just didn't want to put it down. I loved the cahractors of Cate & Cal, and those twins are just a pure delight to read about.
This really is about the two main charactors & how they come to find each other amongst the back drop of the town being held hostage - it sounds ridiculous i know, but it really makes sense when you read the whole story. One review compared this book to "open season" & i would agree, it's not meant to be a serious thriller, it's a romanitc story with just a hint of suspense thrown in. A lot of writer's write like this and i think it works well - Sharon Sala & Nora Roberts being two who come to mind.
This is the kind of writing that Ms Howard does best & i hope she continues like this. I would like to see a story done on one of the armed men "Goss", i think he would make an interesting story - his charactor appears quite complex & i would think he has a lot to say.
I'm really glad i read this book - can't wait for her next one.
Four and a half stars given.
I've been an avid fan of Linda Howard for many years - both her early Romance Genre novels like 'McKenzies Mountain' and classics like 'Dream Man'. However I've found this latest offering very disappointing. I almost gave up after the first 30 pages which were so slow and repetitive, and yes, I've got to say it - boring!. Any other author and I would have. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a Linda Howard thriller because it was reading like one of Mills and Boons poorer efforts!. I didn't much care for the characters - and the plot was just plain silly. Her last few books have also been lacking somehow as well - focusing on trivial details and full of what I call 'fillers' ie information we readers don't need and which doesn't move the story along - just to fill pages. Sorry Linda, but I'm afraid I no longer rush out to get your latest books and Cover of Night has done nothing to re-kindle my enthusiasm.
on 16 September 2007
Cate Nightingale is slowly comming to terms with the death of her husband. She has two mischevious 4 year old twins who keep her occupied. Meanwhile the quiet seemingly shy Cal Harris the local handyman is unbeknown to cate in love with her. After a troublesome guest leaves via the window, Cate and the town of Trail Stop is held to hostage. Cate and Cal with the help of the rest of the little town must pit together to save the town and themselves.

I did enjoy this book, i found the relationship between Cate and Cal a bit rushed and strained. Cal's character was very deep and did'nt go into much detail. But I did enjoy the story and the characters of the townsfolk and there attempts to get Cal and Cate together. Not as good as some of her others but I could read it again. More Please Miss Howard.
on 12 August 2006
As an avid fan of Linda Howard's early books and into the MacKenzie line of novels, this purchase was a distinct disappointment. It has the feel of being a section of a larger piece of work which has simply been lifted out and put into a small format novel. There is no character development and the actual romantic development is just too convenient. Linda Howard has proved herself very able to build on the emotions building between the main characters but in this there was no building emotion at all. And the sex scene appears to have been just thrown in - they could have been animals rutting on the ground for all the emotion that was involved. If you like your Linda Howard books with the emotional impact of MacKenzie's Mission or MacKenzie's Mountain then you will be in for one big disappointment if you purchase this book. Don't waste your money, I say.
on 23 March 2015
My only complaint is that it ended too soon.
This was a taught, exciting romantic thriller with great primary and secondary supporting characters and the chemistry between Cal and Cate was fantastic.
Cate was an intelligent, resourceful and feminine woman, I liked her. It's really good to read a novel where the principal female character isn't annoying.
Cal was the strong, silent type, a quiet alpha male...perfection❤️
on 25 August 2006
I like Ms Howards books becuase she alternates her stories from highly inticate plots and unusual heros and heroines to more of the boy or girl next door variety with a twist!!

Its a shorter story than some but still packed with a wealth of characters and situations. I liked the fact that these people can be related to and enjoyed the romantic subtley of the relationship between Cate and Cal (who wouldnt want a man that was willing to wait until she had got over the death of her husband.)I also liked the sub romance between Neenah and Josh its a shame in some ways as id like to have seen more of their story. - and the way family and neighbours were bought into the story especialy the twins LOL.

Thats why I gave it a 4 star as I feel it could have been longer.

I can1t wait for her next book.
on 20 June 2015
this was a very good book as most of Linda Howard books are, a bit of a thriller and a hot romance thrown in , but when are we going to get a new book from Linda, and not a rewrite ,if you are calling it a day do let your fans know.
I had never read any books by this author but bought two recently. In a lot of ways I was pleasantly surprised by the thriller. It was well paced and well written with a good plot, which was interesting enough to keep me reading. Why 3 stars then? There is also a romance running through this book which I felt detracted from the main story, so it ends up being neither one thing or the other. It is a shame as Linda Howard is obviously a good author and could write convincingly in both genres of fiction. She just needs to keep them apart. Saying all this, would I read more by this author? Yes. I think the thriller aspect was enough to make me want to read more. My advice is to read it and see. If you like thriller and romance in equal measure thne this may be the book for you.
on 28 April 2016
Like Killing Time, this was meant to sent to my kindle but can' be found.