on 12 July 2006
Susan Michaels is a disgraced reporter trying to re-build her reputation; she rescues a cat - even though she is allergic to them - then finds it's not a cat but Ravyn - a Dark Hunter once betrayed by his human mate.

The involvement of the squire council provided some insights - but was bitty; and I missed the old characters!! The re-appearance of Nick Gautier - was not surprising (I guess we have all been waiting for it), but the dynamics between him and Ash re very surprising!!

The running sarcasm I found refreshing and amusing and it suited both the characters and situation, though overall I found that there was something missing from this one - can't quite put my finger on what though.

Firstly I love this series, and perhaps my anticipation for the next book dulled my appreciation - however, I don't think so.

Secondly - it could be that we are now moving from New Orleans and this was an introduction to a new cast of characters and kind of just laying the foundations.

If you haven't read any of this series of books - please, please do - just don't start with this one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 August 2006
SK nearly lost the plot when she keeps harping on about Susan's disbelieve that what she's experiencing isn't real, and that her life is going from bad to worse. There was a fine edge between self pity and on the verge of whining. SK nearly made Susan that and nearly lost my interest. But I have great faith in Ms SK and knew she wouldn't let me down.

The moment Susan met Ravyn however, the story gained more strength and clarity. She truly then personify a great investigative reporter.

Ravyn is a great Dark Hunter with such a tragic pass, a great heart of a man.

Both are great together. This story doesn't have the grit of the others but have the heart.

Here we also see another side to Ash, he's being portrayed very much a victim and though a great man, is storing up a well of hurt deep in his soul for although he sacrifices alot, no one can know of it. In this story it does point out with clarity his great aloneness whereas in previous, he got Kyrian, Amanda, Simi, Talon, the baby etc, which were portrait like his family.

Then come Nick. Wow, what a twist. Really hope the next story is about Nick because it would be too cruel of Ms SK to make us wait after such an ending!!

Over all, this story is worth a read, but not worth a reread. But if you love series like I do you cannot possibly miss this book. For although each of Ms SK book are great standalones, they also link one another in character. Get it if you have got the others. But if you haven't got the others, get the others first then get this!!!

Enjoy!!
on 28 June 2006
Susan Michaels day has gone from bad to worse and it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon. First she is told by her boss to investigate a story she would rather just ignore, she than meets her best friend Angie and her husband after a rather secretive meeting is made. When all is said and done she is now the owner of a very weird looking cat (she's allergic to cats) and her best friends are now dead and she's being blamed for their deaths. Oh, and the cat...well now he is one yummy guy with a boatload of attitude and her boss...he knows the catman. Now Susan is in the middle of a war between good and evil and everything she once thought of as the products of strung out people and Hollywood is real. Too real. And on top of that Ravyn her catman is way too attractive and speaks to a part of her heart she thought would never be reached. But he's a Dark-Hunter and she is a Squire now...he is off limits yet she can't forget the taste of his kiss or the touch of his hand. Can they find a happy ending while they try to stay one step ahead of Stryker and his determined troop of Daimons who want to control Seattle, and stay alive?

Ms. Kenyon's latest installment in her Dark-Hunter series is not what loyal fans have come to expect when they open up one of her books. At the same time her creative ability is what has drawn us to her time and again and her creative drive has changed focus. There is a great deal more action involved with a little less detail to the romance between her main characters Ravyn and Susan. This story has no less than four additional storylines running at the same time and when combined with the extra characters introduced...might seem to be a bit overwhelming for the reader. Still, Ms. Kenyon has given us another entertaining read with a little more insight into the legend of the Dark-Hunters. Ravyn is a very sexy hero, one which kept me coming back to continue the read. Readers might be disturbed with the changes Nick has under gone as well as Acheron...but I believe that we should keep an open mind where this is concerned and wait to see how this plays out. Come to this book with an open mind and you will enjoy an entertaining read.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Susan Micheals was a hot reporter for the Beltway Beat until a major scandal ruined her life and left her writing stories about alien babies and Elvis sightings. Then she gets a lead on a story that could salvage her career..but her tip leads her to an animal shelter where she gets talked into adopting a cat and finds she's allergic to it - he turns out to be a Ravyn, A dark hunter who was also a were-hunter!!!

Ravyn's life ended four hundred years ago, when he mistakenly trusted his human mate with the truth of his existence before the bonding ceremony could take place. He lost his family, his honour and his life.

- I have to say as much as I love these books this one didn't enthral me as much as usual ... I loved the interaction between Ravyn and Susan but I found the scenes between Susan and the squires council a bit trite ... This book contains Nick's reappearance and ends with a twist for his future that you won't want to miss but apart from a small part with Nick and Otto (Valerius's squire from Seize the Night) our favourite characters from the other books aren't in this story due to the setting being Seattle instead of New Orleans.

If you love the Dark Hunter books you'll want to read this and it is good but it's not going to be one of my favourites. I will defiantely be looking out for the next one!!
on 10 July 2006
Yes the Dark hunters are back and the plot is hotting up! If you haven't read any of this series then PLEASE go out and read the earlier books. If you don't then your enjoyment of this will be slashed. While all the Dark Hunter novels are good, this one is not a stand alone book, re-curring characters are the main deal here.

Susan and Ravyn's story is one of the better ones. I like the fact that Ravyn's life is doubly complicated by being a Were Hunter (shape-shifter) and a Dark Hunter, Susan being allergic to his cat form is hilarious when he gets more flirty!

As always Sherrilyn has created a fantastic plot with lots of detail to keep you turning those pages. Also its nice to see some recent history in the book, such as hurricane Katrina.

Its a great book, but the best thing is the continuation of other plots and character's stories. The return of Nick is a BIG deal in this book, and there's a jaw dropping twist at the end. If you're already a fan then you cannot miss this book. Can't wait for the next one!
on 18 June 2007
I was disappionted with this book as it was too radical a shift in the behavour of some of the primary character's.The story is about Sara and Rayven, a disgraced reporter and a werehunter outcast.She wants her reputation back and he wants.....? we don't know.You do find out thing about the Squire council and how its a bigger thing but i don't like the other hunter's in the picture in Seattle.They don't interact the same as what we are use to.Then the biggest upset is the way Nick has changed so much from the way he is at the end of unleashed the night.I know he's got issues but to flip so much is too much for me to handle.Also where is the story going with Stryker's revenge?He wants to kill Acheron we know but to kill him and Apollymi is ....how?That story line just seems tangled now, would like to see that sorted out.

Get this if you have the rest but don't if its you're first Hunter book.

Come on Sherrilyn, we know you can do better than this.
on 21 June 2006
The story brings back some of the characters from previous books with a good twist. It is written after Kathrina and she makes several references to this as most of the other books are set in New Orleans. The story about Suzan and Ravyn does not follow the usual format for the series and have to say to have the heroine allergic to the hero is hillariously funny. I thought the sarcasm of the heroine was funny and although some people might find that annoying I thought it suited the character. I have the whole of the series and can honestly say that I think she is still going strong. The only negative I can find is that we do not find out as much about the characters past, expecially the hero. That was the only flaw in an otherwise good yarn.
on 29 January 2009
I was really hesitant while deciding to buy this book because of the okayish reviews that people have been giving this, however I am now really truely glad that I bought it in the end.
Dark Side of the Moon is defiantly for the long standing fans of the Dark Hunter series and not one that someone should start first before the prior books.
In this book we get to find out more about Savitar - who personally I'm beginning to really like his non nonsense attitude: he's brass, rude but amazingly honest (due mostly to the fact that he really doesn't care about what other people think!). I'm actually beginning to like him more than Acheron (which is saying something, because I LOVE Ash!!).
I started to really care about Susan and Rave and I'm really glad of the final decision that Rave made --- it wasn't rushed (although the story did end quickly).
I loved the Nick parts, I was a little upset that Simi didn't turn up, anndd I loved the parts between Ash and Artie!
I think if you've read all the others then GO AND GET THIS ONE TOO!! It was super amazing and I can't wait to read the next one: Sin and Katra's story :)
on 12 August 2006
Only worth reading for the last bit when Nick appears. Ravyn and Susan fail to excite. Everyone keeps saying Ravyn keeps to himself and talks to no-one, but there is absolutely no evidence of this.

Susan seems to accept as normal that her lover changes into a cat - sometimes a pussycat, sometimes a leopard. I think anyone might have a few qualms about this.

There are also some problems with the plotting and it doesn't help when on one page Ravyn as cat is burnt by sunshire and on the next page he happily runs outside into the sun!

Hope the next one is better.
on 22 April 2007
Dear Reader's only get this book if you want to complete your series of the DH's.The action moves from New Orlean's to Seattle and its set after Hurricane Katerina.Nick is reintroducted in this book but what a difference there is with him.I know all DH's have issues but the turn-around with Nick is a shock to the system.There is too much happening in this book that doesn't make sense but i hope she clears that up in the new book.

As for the main character's i think Rayvn is sweet but messed up for not binding with the woman he loves (as he says to his brother that if he was half the man he thought he was he would have bonded with his mate and died on the nite she did).You have to feel for the heroine as she has allergies and an unforgiving family to bully into accepting their brother back into the home.

Please let us have better closure than this book had.