4.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel, lush and yum, puts a big smile on your face.
Published on 11 Oct. 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Immaculate Contraception' strikes again!
Another Cynster novel, and yet another domineering alpha male paired with an independent-minded female. Now, I *like* independent-minded women, but somehow whenever Laurens writes them, the heroine seems to lose all of her independence and common sense whenever the hero comes into view. Falling in love's one thing, but this is ridiculous!
Okay, so we have, this time,...
Published on 1 Sept. 2003 by Dr W. Richards

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel, lush and yum, puts a big smile on your face., 11 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Though unfortunatly not as explicit in her sex scenes as some of the previous Bar Cynester series there is still something deliciously compelling about Gabriel and the chemistry between himself and 'the countess'. I don't find it so unbelievable that he didn't deduce her identity immeadiatly - people see what they expect to see and Gabriel had got too used to his 'uncomfortable' reaction to Alathea that his different reaction to 'the countess' was bound to throw him off. Poor Lucifer - he can run but he can not hide. And I can't wait to see what the twins do, I hope that they remain as astute and determined as they have been, then again I can't see them being coy - not from this family!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a huge fan of SL and this one didn't let me down., 19 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
I would recommend it to any historical romance fan. Great fun, loads of emotion, laughs and plot. The only thing is ... I haven't found a Chillingworth title yet so come on SL!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's no secret that you will enjoy this one, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: A Secret Love: Number 5 in series (Bar Cynster) (Paperback)
A overpowering debt that will ruin her family drives Lady Alathea Morwellan to seek help from her childhood friend and combatant Rupert (Gabriel) Cynster. Except that she feels she can only do so disguised as a Widowed Countess to ensure that she gains his full support, and he doesn't just leave the matter to his men of business.

As is always obvious with the Bar Cynster he will of course seek, and claim a reward ... her.

His desires get higher along with the stakes and eventually thanks to the mistake of a tweenie she reveals herself to him in a ballroom, simply by the perfume she has used in error.

Eventually sufficient proof to get the debt overturned is obtained, and both declare their love ... apparently not something easy to obtain from a Cynster.

It made me cry ... a 5 stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Either it will work for you or not., 14 Jun. 2011
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
I'm not a fan of Stephanie Laurens and haven't read any of her book for years - at least 5. I came across this in the Recommendations, had a look at the reviews on Amazon.com, and thought - why not?

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but even some of the stupid bits nearing the end didn't make it less than a 4 star read!

When a mysterious lady, her face hidden by a black veil, begs Gabriel Cynster for his help, he cannot refuse her plea. (And a plausible plea it was too)! For, despite her disguise, Gabriel finds the woman alluring and he is powerless to deny her. But he exacts payment that only a Cynster would demand: with each piece of information he uncovers she must pay him - in the form of a kiss.

I found the nicknames stupid, but still enjoyed the story. The other reviewer that gave it 1 star is certainly a different view on the story. I think the only way to know if you'll like it is to read the first chapter and then make your decision. Fortunately, my copy was from the library as I couldn't actually fork out any cash for a Stephanie Laurens book!

4.0 out of 5 stars WELL WORTH A READ, 15 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
This is the third Cynster book I've read, would like to marry Vane & Chillingworth, or even our hero Gabriel. Nice to see Chillingworth appear in this book, along with Gabriel's very enticing cousins - u have to feel pity for poor old Lucifer, your time will come! .The social whirl our delightful hero (yum yum) and heroine are involved in, provides a good backdrop to the steamy love story, played out in this book.
Gabriel is sufficiently manly, whilst having a cute soft side, the message with the flowers makes a nice touch.
This is a good read, that you wont want to put down until the end, I had many a distracted conversation!
Go forth and enjoy, but only if this type of book floats your boat.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful and funny, 3 Jan. 2013
I like the hero but the women are strong and know their minds until the heros sweep them off their feet finally!!!!
This is a family series and the men are hansome and wonderful, running away from marriage and love. but when Love hits they except it hole heartedly. I have read around 15 of stephanie's books and enjoyed them all. she reminds me of Georgette Heyer in that you get a story, good writing, good characters and a good laugh as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read for Cynster fans, 5 May 2001
By A Customer
Another fantastic novel in the Cynster series, sizzling - just as we would expect from such a compelling series.Can't wait to tuck into Lucifer's story...if only I could tuck into him instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fine book of the kind we expect from Ms Laurens!, 15 Aug. 2000
I was so excited to receive this book that I got up early this morning and read it first thing - I was even late for work for it! While the elements of the stereotypical 'bodice-ripper' are all certainly there, the entertaining manner of writing and the fleshing out of some secondary characters was what I really enjoyed. I particularly liked the development of Chillingworth towards the end, and the twins' 'offensive' against Gabriel and Lucifer made me nearly laugh out loud! While overall not as steamy as some of the earlier books, still definitely worth purchasing for any Cynster fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fun, 16 Feb. 2012
Stephanie Laurens has done it again! Funny, sexy and oh so wonderful to escape with on the train! Her caharacters are believable and Its great to see other Cynsters I had fallen in love with before pop in and out confirming the over reaching plot of the importance of family, and the desire to protect the women folk who are by no means push-overs! I HIGHLY recommend "A Secret Love"

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply enthralled, 8 Nov. 2012
I enjoyed the etiquette, the historic references. I found my self engulffed with the female character. Wishing to be protected and wooed by the elegible young bucks.
The interwoven intrigue of the story kept my mind searching forward to uncover the devloping game to its ultimate end of love and satisfaction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Secret Love: Number 5 in series (Bar Cynster)
A Secret Love: Number 5 in series (Bar Cynster) by Stephanie Laurens (Paperback - 5 April 2007)