5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!
Published on 27 April 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire and ridiculous
Published 17 months ago by Kindlebug

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!, 27 April 1999
By A Customer
In DEVIL'S BRIDE, we meet Honoria Wetherby, a woman determined to enjoy life to it's fullest without the shackles of marriage. One stormy night she encounters a young man who is dying of a gunshot wound. While trying to help him, she meets the young man's powerful cousin, who she later finds out is Sylvester "Devil" Cynster, Duke of St. Ives. Due to the storm and the circumstances, they end up spending the night in a cottage. Young Tolly Cynster dies during the night never being able to reveal what happened to him. Unfortunately, when Honoria and Devil are found, she is compromised. Devil immediately decided to have her as his duchess. But first he has to convince her into marrying him. This starts off a delightful cat and mouse game. We also meet the other wickedly handsome and rakish Cynster cousins, Vane, Scandal, Gabriel, Demon and Lucifer. The six are called the Bar Cynster . I nearly passed out because this book got soooo HOT! Devil is an absolute dream! Add an unknown murderer on the loose, coincidental "accidents", steamy erotic sex, and a mushy romance and you've got yourself a winner!
You just have to read A RAKE'S VOW, Vane's story, and SCANDAL'S BRIDE, Richard's story. Talk about HOOOT!!! I can't wait for the other Cynster novels to come. We still have three Cynster rakes to go.
DEVIL'S BRIDE is a wonderful romantic read filled with humor, mystery, suspense, and a passionate love. I recommend it and the other Cynster novels. You'll love them! Trust me!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read for romance lovers!, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This was the first of the Cynster stories that I have read, and what a treat it was - I really had difficulty putting this one down! The hero and heroine were both compelling characters - exactly the way I like them. With faults like everybody else, but thoroughly engaging. Miss Laurens certainly knows how to write love scenes also. Absolutely sizzling comes to mind!. The only reason I haven't rated this novel at the five stars it should receive is that it fails completely as a thriller. The villian is entirely too obvious and it is almost insulting to the reader in it's simplicity. All in all, I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys romance with a sensual twist - but don't buy it if you're looking for a 'who dunnit' or you'll be very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent page turner, 23 Aug 2004
This is the first Stephanie Laurens book I have read, and it has got me hooked on her work.
This is the first of the Cynster series, and is about the head of the family, Devil.
Honoria Anstruther-Weatherby, a strong minded young lady, determined never to marry. Devil Cysnter, rake, is just as determined that they will marry. The sparks fly whilst they work to revole their difference and to solve a murder.
Honoria comes across as a very realistic personality, she is intelligent, strong willed and stubborn. Devil is honorable, just as stubborn but is very protective and possessive. The writer manages to paint the scenes/backgrounds so well that it is very easy to imagine being there.
I really fell in love with all of the characters, and have gone onto the further enjoy the other Cynster books. All the books in the series can be read and enjoyed as stand alones.
Highly recommend this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent start of the Cynster series, 2 Nov 2002
"Devil's Bride is the first novel in Ms Laurens' Cynster Dynasty series. The story is set in Regency England and it takes us into the exciting lives of the ton especially the Cynster ducal family.This is my first book by the author and I have decided to read the series in order.Devil's story is a very entertaining read and I hope the others will live up to their reputation too.
Devil Cynster originally called the Duke of St. Ives is the head of his extensive family. Everyone thinks his nickname is very accurate because he is like the "devil" in appearence and behavior too.He meets Honoria Anstruther-Wetherby under very strange circumstances but he immediately knows that he has just met his fate.They find the body of a young man who was shot in the woods. The boy is Tolly, Devil's cousin and his mysterious death starts their story together. They spend a night under the same roof of a cottage together with the corpse and Devil knows Honoria is copromised in the eyes of society. He decides that the best solution for them is to marry and this is his wish as well. He wants Honoria for his Duchess because he is attracted to her and she fulfills all his requirements in a wife. And when a Cynster wants something in life they go and get it without leaving any obstacles in the way.Honoria is a well bred young lady who loves adventure. That is the reason she works as a finishing governess for aristocratic families. She plans to travel to Africa and enjoy her independent life among the pyramids of Egypt. The last thing on her mind is to marry, especially a tyrant controlling Cynster like Devil.Both leading characters are wonderfully alive, strong, intelligent and a matching pair in every possible way.
Honoria is attracted to Devil's charm, his confidence in himself and his honour to his family. She fights the attraction because she doesn't want to give up her plans for independence. Devil is intrigued by Honoria. He knows he wants her in his bed and in his life as a mother of his children. He takes up the challenge of winning her hand in marriage. Their battle of the sexes is powerful, sometimes funny, exciting and very sensual. At the same time the Cynsters want to solve the mystery around Tolly's death. All the Cynster males are arrogant, handsome and very controlling. They protect what is theirs, their women and children but they have clear definitions what a woman can and cannot do. They certainly don't agree with Honoria's intention to be involved in the murder mystery. Devil has his hands full of Honoria, her stubborness drives him crazy and at the same time he is lusting after her.The author has a wonderful writing style and gives us a detailed description of her heroes' behavior, their feelings and passion for each other. Devil and Honoria fight love at every possible turn until they must surrender to it. The way it comes to them is very realistic and warms the reader's heart.
DEVIL'S BRIDE is a well-written Regency romance from the pen of a talented author. The historical era is well researched and the characters are well developed. The novel is full of action and the story needs to be savoured step by step.
Stephanie Laurens introduces a bunch of promising secondary characters.The Cynsters are a charming lot and I look forward to continue reading about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning to a new series, 22 Jan 1998
By A Customer
In 1818 England, the Cynster extended family has some of the Ton's most eligible bachelors even though they have notorious reputations and nicknames to live down or in their minds, up to. The most infamous of the next generation of bachelors is Sylvester "Devil" Cynster, the 6th Duke of St. Ives, who plans to continue his scandelous nights on the town for many years to come. However, when he is caught in a compromising position with governess, Honoria Wetherby, he bedevils everyone by announcing his plans to marry the chit.
Honoria, who seeks adventure in her ho hum life, firmly believes that Devil is the right moniker for Sebastian. Though his kisses seem to provide her plenty of excitement, Honoria has plans to see the world as soon as she solves the case of who was the assailant of the body she found? It remains for Devil to prove to Honoria that they can share the adventure of a lifetime together.
DEVIL'S BRIDE, the debut novel of the Cynster family series, is a will-written Regency romance that will add to the growing reputation of Stephanie Laurens as one of the leading writers of the sub-genre. Though the tale follows the structure of the typical Regency tale, Ms. Laurens' detailed descriptions make this a refreshingly absorbing novel. Devil is the typical arrogant rake who always stars in these books, yet in the incredibly competent hands of Ms. Laurens, he is a heroic figure who will garner deep feelings from the readers. Likewise, Honoria too will be well-liked. Though at times, the pace seems a bit slow, genre fans will want to read this enjoyable novel and the subsequent future stories starring Devil's cousins.
Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire and ridiculous, 8 Feb 2013
I can't finish this. I keep rolling my eyes with the ridiculous dialogue and attitudes of the inanely named characters within the pages of this book. After I read that the hero and heroine got to "the porch" of his grand estate house, I almost threw the book in the trash. Did Pemberly have a PORCH? Does Balmoral have a PORCH? Good Gracious. And sorry, I know I'm not supposed to, but I keep pronouncing the heroine's name so it rhymes with "gonorrhea". Absolute tripe. I feel robbed and I don't understand all these glowing reviews. The writing is deplorable and silly. My first and last from this author, unfortunate that I invested in some others as they had a reduced price, but I think my time would be better spent filing my nails.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 21 July 1999
By A Customer
This is definitely the best of the Bar Cynster series to date and one of my favourite books. I consumed this in a single (very long) sitting!
A mysterious death throws together the two main characters (Honoria and Devil) and they initially attempt to investigate this on their own before combining their resources. Honoria and Devil come across as intelligent, interesting characters and their mutual sexual attraction is tangible. There is also an underlying 'feel good factor' as the reader, and Honoria and Devil, realise that they are falling in love (I know I am not giving away any of the plot here!).
Ms. Laurens skillfully balances not only the different elements of the novel but also the arrogance and attractiveness of Devil, (pls. note that this is not a novel where the writer has 'gifted' the lead male with all manner of negative macho characteristics and then happily informs the confused reader that he was found irresistable by all women ... but why?). While Devil's character is not that of the ideal boyfriend or husband (the nickname alone would make you hesitate), you can certainly see his appeal! Honoria has been granted some modern turns of thought and is neither the hoyden nor the drippy debutante.
There is also sufficient information of the secondary characters to pique the reader's interest in further books (yes, I have bought all of them....). Overall a strong, sexy book with bright elements of humour. I really did enjoy reading and re-reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! Lots of tension and electricity., 24 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This was one of my favorite historicals ever! I hate it when the hero sullenly and stubbornly resists marriage and family - certainly not an issue in this book. I also find it annoying when the heroine determines to remain a spinster due to a historically implausible desire to remain in control of her own fate. Honoria's ambition to find adventure (and her more deep-seated fears) make for more interesting reading.
While Devil is, in many ways, a stereotypical hero, his attachment to family and his willingness to (once in a million years) admit he is wrong make him more charming than most. Honoria also has characteristics that make her out-of-the-common-way, being levelheaded and determined, without displaying the insensitive disregard for the conventions of all too many heroines.
I have two mild objections to the plotting. I did not find the "suspense" element suspenseful. I was pretty sure from early on who the villain was. Also, I realise that this is escapist and unrealistic fiction, but I find the blithe manner in which the protagonists ignore the sexual mores of their time disturbing. The consequences of discovery of such behavior were far from trivial, and should be considered before placing characters in such situations. Not that I wish authors to further over-play the tired plotline in which a young woman's lover is killed before they can marry and she is left to bear his illegitimate child, but...
This was the first book I had read by Stephanie Laurens (I have now read as many others as I could find - not enough!) and I am now eagerly awaiting further chronicles of the Bar Cynster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steamy romance with likable characters, 14 April 1998
By A Customer
Devil's Bride has lots of things to recommend it but it just misses my "loved it" vote because I found parts of it to be very slow moving. At certain points I couldn't turn the pages fast enough but then something would happen and I'd lose interest, discover my mind wandering, and find it all too easy to put the book down. It might be because I just wasn't interested in the mystery element of the plot and that I figured it out way too early (the villain was very obvious) but I'm not sure that was it. I just feel that the book (at almost 400 pages) was too long.
I'm glad I finished it for several reasons. I appreciated the steady characterization of the hero and heroine. Both were headstrong and arrogant and basically remained that way throughout the story. The hero falls for the heroine immediately and that was another plus. Their sexual attraction was instantaneous and for those of you who like longer, well-written and sensual love scenes you most definitely won't be disappointed in these! They go on and on, page after breathtaking page. I admit sometimes I'll skim the second or third lovescene (gasp!) because usually by that time I'm bored of the same old, same old but I was riveted to each and every one of them in this book. The author sure knows how to set up and carry out a sensual scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book!, 13 Sep 2006
This review is from: Devil's Bride: Number 1 in series (Bar Cynster) (Paperback)
This has got to be the best Stephanie Laurens book. I have read all her other books and this beats them hands down. Devil is such a strong character and Honoria needs to have a backbone of steel to handle him. I like the Cynster books because all the main male characters are very arrogant and domineering and very use to getting their own way, that is until they meet the women they fall in love with, then the fun starts.

I would definately recommend any romance fan reading this book, I coud'nt put it down. It was funny and witty and you were applauding Honoria when she woud'nt be dictated to by Devil and stood up to him.

Devil's Bride: Number 1 in series (Bar Cynster)
Devil's Bride: Number 1 in series (Bar Cynster) by Stephanie Laurens (Paperback - 8 Feb 2007)
6.79
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available