VINE VOICEon 1 September 2006
I picked this book up because I love Nora Roberts, I've never found one of her books that I didn't like but when I read the back I wasn't sure .. a 12th century sorcerer .. I'm not much on historical fiction but since I needed something to read I bought it anyway. I read it in one day, couldn't put it down!! This is the story of Hoyt the 12th century sorcerer from Ireland and the circle of 6 he must pull together after a vision from the goddess Morrigan...the book soon switched to modern time which is more to my liking and the 6 began to arrive... a modern day witch, Hoyt's vampyre brother Cian, a future queen and her shape shifting cousin from the mythical land of Geall and a warrior. The 6 have to fight Lilith the vampire queen who wants to bring about the apocolypse. This book is the first in the trilogy and covers the first step in this battle (the forging of the circle) and is also the romance of Hoyt and Glenna the witch). The book is mainly set in modern day Ireland and was much more to my taste than I originakly thought. This book is part of a trilogy and is not one to buy if you want a stand alone story as we don't really get into the real battle by the end of the book .. the second book picks up the day after this book ends. I really enjoyed this book and will definately be buying Dance of the God and Valley of Silence as soon as they're out.
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2006
An adequate synopis has already been supplied, so I will not write another one. I've read nearly all Nora Roberts books and enjoyed them, especially the romantic suspense and the ones about magic. This book was no exception. However, personally I think that the publishers should have waited for her to finish all three and then published them as one book with three parts. Both of the first two, Morrigan's Cross and Dance of the Gods do not really stand alone. Both, particularly M.Cross, end very abruptly. In fact in M.Cross I turned over expecting another chapter. The other chaper is of course the start of the second book. I don't think you could really read the books as stand alone stories or out of order, which

you can with the Three Sisters trilogy for example (and I did, reading the second one first!).

The first book supposed to really focus on Hoyt, the sorcerer, who is responsible for bring the others together to fight the vampire queen. However, for me Hoyt remained a two dimentional, undeveloped and rather boring character. His brother Cian (KEY-an) who has been turned into a vampire, comes across as the more interesting and charismatic of the two. The character who is developed in this book is the witch.

I thought that the six characters were all introduced too soon and as a consequence not developed enough in this first book. The second book focuses on the shapeshifter and the warrior and the last book on the scholar queen and the vampire. The best book of the three is the third one. However, the first chapter is virtually a repeat of part of book two. There is a narrator of the books, but the recap of the stories is not really enough for a reader to read them out of sequence and alone. Buy all three and read them one after the other as one book.

Nora Roberts has written several novels featuring magic and myths/legends of Ireland. However, I hope she is not jumping on the bandwagon regarding fiction about vampires. Pardon the pun, but it has been done to death by loads of other authors, and she really does not need to join in, in my opinion.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2011
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts, particularly some of her earlier novels which have been really fantastic. She's usually my `go to' author if I want easy to read romance as I know that despite the more stupid names she picks for her protagonists (seriously, I'm not joking, some of the names she sticks them with are AWFUL), her stories will be interesting and well written.

I have to say though that I don't think her strength lies in writing *paranormal* romantic fiction; I've read the `Sign of Seven' trilogy of books and to me, this first book in the `Circle' trilogy was very reminiscent of that (only a bit more magical), with two dimensional characters and a bit of a same-same plot line- dreams, visions and a bit of blood spilled before a group of people join together to ward off the impending apocalypse. Then again, I suppose there's only so much that can be written about the fight of good vs. evil, isn't there? I did actually appreciate this as a fairly decent spin on the whole vampire thing and it wasn't quite as cheesy as Twilight at least. My main issue was that I felt I'd read the whole thing before- and quite possibly I am also getting a bit fed up of vampire novels!

I won't summarise the story as that has already been done more than adequately and I did find this book a fairly entertaining way to pass a few hours. Some of the characters were portrayed as more interesting than others but I did think that Hoyt the Sorcerer (come on, who calls a sorcerer `Hoyt?!') was poorly written considering he was meant to be the main protagonist. I suppose that's my main quibble with this story- I really didn't care about the characters very much or if they got attacked by Vamps or not! The sexual chemistry between him and good witch Glenna was also a little bit lacking- NR usually writes really convincing romance but this wasn't the case here.

Needless to say, I do have books two and three of this set ready and waiting (charity shop buy) and I'm hoping this will only get better as the story does plod along fairly easily, though I'm not exactly in a mad rush to read them. My personal recommendation: if you're a first time NR reader don't start with this series- go for one of her standalone books instead; `Blue Smoke' or `Angel Falls' would be a good place to start.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2007
The latest trilogy from Nora Roberts, of which this is the first in the series.

This features a circle of six who are fighting a battle against vampires, the book opens in the 12th century with Hoyt MacCionaoith battling with his vampire brother, Cian in Ireland. Hoyt is called by the goddess Morrigan to form a circle of six and thu he travels one thousand years into the future to his brother, the vampire in Manhattan. Soon after Hoyt & Cian ae joined by Glenna, a witch who haled Hoyt in his dreams.

King, a black friend of Cian joins the group and is followed by both Moira and her shape-shifting cousin Larkin. As the six work together to train Hoyt ad Glenna form a bond and soon are having a loving relationship as they work together forming spells.

This is the start of a good story,whilst this is not Nora's best effort its far from her worse, the characters are well written into the story and most of them are likeable and overall this was a brilliant start to a trilogy of which I'm looking forward to the rest.

The romance element of this book was overlooked a little and almost felt that as that is what Nora is renowned for that was why it as written in, maybe maybe not all will become clear thoughout the rest of the trilogy I guess. I found the character of Glenna interesting and almsosot felt as though she wasn't developed as much as she maybe could have been but, again maybe she will over the remaining books.

Although this was a good book I don't think I will be in a huge rush to read the rest ofthe trilogy, not to say I won't.
on 8 July 2011
When I started this I was expecting a lot, again with a vampire in it your pretty much sure it is going to be good (if your a vampire fan). It starts pretty quickly establishing the relationship between our main character Hoyt Mac Cionaoith and his brother and the devastating events that turn them against each other.

Hoyt is a sorcerer and his brother is a vampire, turning brothers into enemies. There is much worse to come as Cian is turned by the vampire queen Lilith who is set on destroying our world as we know it and Hoyt has to travel time and the world to get his "army" together to go up against her. The army is made up of the most unlikely allies and the numbers are against them being successful.

This is the first in a series and follows the build up of the greatest battle on earth. It isn't just a war story, it has friendship, love, loss and courage. Initially I didn't think I would rate it as although it started good with the dramatic scene with Hoyt, Lilith and his brother I didn't fancy the way he conjoured his magic (the ryhming of it) however as the book when on it actually became something I liked as part of their ritual.

I now will have to get the second book to find out what happens next as it ends rather gripping and certainly wanting more. This is my first Nora Roberts and certainly wont be my last 4/5 for me.
on 10 April 2012
I had never heard of Nora Roberts before my aunt bought me this book, which she did purely because it had something to do with vampires. I enjoyed this first book so much I bought the next two of the trilogy before finishing it. Books 2 and 3 are also excellent and the trilogy is well balanced - I enjoyed different parts of each books to different degrees (main plot, sideline plots) but are each a good third - there's no particularly weak book in the trilogy. It is one long book split into three neat thirds though, it is not three stand-alone books.

Part of the joy of this series is how the plot plays out. It's perhaps a little cliche in places, but then not every tale is supposed to throw curveballs. It's a traditional story of good and evil, love and lost, set in modern times mostly. A good yarn!

I found it very accessible, and unlike certain other vampire tales it's not following the over-done plotline of a drippy 'heroine' teen looking to turn a bad vampire good etc.
on 13 September 2006
If you have read the last few Nora Roberts series (three sisters and key trilogys etc) you will have noticed her liking for all things witchy and irish. This book is along the same lines but a little deeper . A compelling story, but one which loses a little in the setting up of the story to follow and introducing the other characters. I have never really enjoyed historical stories but this story mixes nicely with the present. A thoroughly enjoyable book which I will no doubt read again and again. Can't wait for the next two to be released. (especiallys Cian's story, yummy!)
on 22 August 2012
This trilogy was a really fun way to pass a week. I am new to Nora Roberts but love well written, easy romance and the fantasy element was just fantastic. The men are dashing and the women ballsy with a great villain to top it off. Not the most challenging read in the world but great for the beach or the train!
If you liked this book, also check out -River Hollow (The Sweet Meadow Romances)
on 11 November 2014
I love this author and I have very nearly read all the books not just in this series but all series written.

She is an excellent author, I love the story lines, and I love that everything is in 3's I love a series of books and with a triology you have that without having to many books to read to finish off a series.

Perfect thing to take away with you and read by the pool!
on 6 February 2014
I have been a fan of NR for a while but lately felt that she had dropped the ball and that her stories had become 'same'ish so it was pleasing to read this book and recognise the old NR caught up in the plot and characters.
Blessed be!!!