5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Firstly I'm male, so I shouldn't really like Nora at all, so my wife would tell me. I first came across Nora's books at Miami Airport and, at a loss for a read on the way back to London, tried one. I didn't get to sleep the entire flight as I was engrossed.

I now have several bookshelves full of her material.

This book I rate as one of her best,...
Published on 16 Sep 2006 by BruceB

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nora's Best....
Published on 21 July 2006 by TMW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 16 Sep 2006
BruceB (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)

I now have several bookshelves full of her material.

This book I rate as one of her best, though there are so many good ones she has written, it is difficult to rate them at all! Characters are all good, storyline rings true, spanning a number of years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nora's Best...., 21 July 2006
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
I love Nora Roberts Novels, she is a fantastic writer and usually keeps you on the edge of your seat thoughtout but this novel was really lacking, her style was different and this book felt so drawn out,I really did not care about the main charactors at all. This is the first Nora Roberts book that I did not enjoy, I just wanted to finish it so I could start reading something else. The Story is ok, arson investigator being stalked by her nemisis, he attacks people she loves, the romance was too tame and the ending was not very climatic, it was just missing the magic that is normally Nora Roberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read - As Always, 28 Oct 2005
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
Wondeful combination of Nora's usual blend of family relationships and romance but with a real edge (much like when she writes as J D Robb) - a perfect blend of her two styles of writing. I couldn't put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 4 Mar 2009
blue-smoke

Synopsis:

Reena Hale grew up with an intimate knowledge of the destructive power of fire. When she was a child, her family's restaurant was burned to the ground, and the man responsible was sent to jail. The Hale family banded together to rebuild, and Reena found her life's calling. She trained as a firefighter and then as a cop, always with the end goal in sight: to become an arson investigator. Now, as part of the arson unit, she is called in on a series of suspicious fires that seem to be connected-not just to each other, but to her. And as danger ignites all around her, Reena must rely on experience and instinct to catch a dangerous madman who will not stop until everything she loves has gone up in smoke.

I really enjoyed this book. I had never read Nora Roberts before, but I already have two others lined up. Catarina Hale first experiences fire when to get revenge, Joe Pastroelli burned down the Hale family restaurant, Siricos. Pastroelli is taken off to jail, in front of the neighbourhood and his own son. Having experienced the adrenaline fire produced, Reena trained up on the arson unit in Baltimore. Yet someone is out to get revenge on her - setting fire to all around her, from buildings to lovers. We follow Reena as she tries to second guess the man tormenting her and prevent her whole life, herself including, going up in smoke.

This book had me gripped right from the beginning and by the end, with so much excitement on the last few pages, I could not put this book down. Never did I get bored. I was hooked, and trying to work out the arsonist's next move too. The anticipation of finding out what was to burn was intense. It was interesting that right from the start we know who is after her - it really isn't hard to work out - but then as Reena doesn't know until 100 pages towards the end; in fact it takes her a while to realise she is being targetted, there is a new and exciting level of dramatic irony.

I loved the Hale family. They are a big, Italian family, firmly rooted in the neighbourhood and loved by all. They all look out for each other and protect each other. I loved Xander, Reena's younger brother, because despite his age, he always had Reena's back, and saved her on many occassions. I loved Bo, the next door neighbour. It took me a while to figure him out, but he comes through for her and won't desert her even though he is in danger. And I loathed the arsonist and really wanted to see him taken down. All the characters sparked a response from me, which I think is important in a book.

There was a fair amount of sex, and plenty of bad language, which I didn't like, but that aside, this was an incredible book. Exciting and engaging. Robert's writes a fantastic story. I highly recommend this book.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book enjoyable read, 28 Oct 2005
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
I really liked this book so enjoyable i haven't been a fan of Nora Roberts but this book and Northern Lights are both really good, i enjoy the storyline with real strong characters, and good storyline that keeps you hooked all the way through, it's a nice light hearted read with a good mystery too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another `smokin'' read by Roberts, 25 Jun 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
Some books of Roberts I can take or leave. Sometimes the characters seem pretty insipid, have rather ridiculous names and the plotlines are too cliché for words. Ok, so the male protagonist in this one admittedly does have a stupid name, but the plot itself was actually pretty good. A bit predictable perhaps, but certainly readable enough.

After a fire destroys her family's Baltimore restaurant when she's just a little girl, Reena Hale knows she's found her true calling in life and grows up determined to become an arson investigator. Through the years, fire always seems to be hovering on the edge of her life and she figures she's made the right call- only when things start getting a bit more personal, she starts to join the dots and realises that maybe fires aren't always accidental...

Roberts has created some likeable characters in this romantic suspense novel. I truly like the fact that her female protagonists aren't always dependant maidens and have a bit of fire (no pun intended) in them. Reena is feisty and the laid back romantic interest is a nice balance to her wilful personality. If you haven't read any of Robert's books before then this is definitely a good one to start off with. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 11 May 2008
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
While I haven't read every one of Ms. Roberts works I must state that I have read quite a few. I absolutely adore her way with words and the way she moves a story along without being obvious. Since many other reviewers have given a synopsis of this book I will limit myself to comments on the whole.

Fully rounded characters were what first grabbed my attention. It is through the central character's interaction with those around her that we learn of the events that have brought her to the present day and why she is so fiercely independent.

Ms. Roberts attention to details is one of the many things I love about her writing. Not too wordy, not too sparse, just enough to give you a perfect picture of the who or where she is describing. In Blue Smoke she is absolutely eloquent in her descriptions of fire, especially how it is perceived by some as a living thing. Her heroine, Reena, and the nemesis, Joey, are actually cut from a bit of the same cloth but the fine line between madness and sanity is what sets them apart. Both are drawn to fire because of its power but one is drawn to its capacity to harm while the other is searching for a way to quench the powerful beast.

The Hale family is down to earth as they rally to protect their own. The Pastorelli family is as dysfunctional as they come. Thrown into the mix is a wonderful leading man named Bo Goodnight (with a name like that you know he rides the white horse).

Suspense piled up as this reader tried to figure out where the arsonist would set his next, premeditated fire. I literally held my breath when Reena and Joey finally confronted each other.

I truly enjoyed this book. The final couple of chapters are definitely not for the squeamish but I didn't think they were too gruesome. I've seen plenty worse on the TV set.

I give Blue Smoke five stars for keeping me up way past my bedtime on way too many nights.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to get into, but worth the perseverence, 3 July 2006
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
This is the story of Catarina Hale - Reena and her life from an 11 year old to adulthood. It follows her study and striving to become an arson investigator after her parents business was burned down when she was a child. She works hard to get where she wants to be and forms many friendships along the way. When people who mean something to her, romantically, start dying in suspicious circumstances and the pieces finally fall into place, she must stop whoever is behind it before they can destroy her completely.

This book took a bit of work to get into and if you're expecting the romance to start flowing from the first chapter, then you're in for a bit of a wait. It was worth it to plough through the first few chapters to get to the real storyline and once there, it's a great read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing . . . ., 19 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Hardcover)
Nora Roberts is an extremely prolific and talented author and I look forward to her new releases. In this one though, I have to say I was disappointed on a number of levels.

The book is basically divided into two parts. The first part deals with Reena's 'backstory' and picks out various sections of her life starting from the age of 11, and then featuring when she is 18, 22 and 25. The second half carries on from the present day when she is 31. This means that Reena doesn't meet the hero Bo til over half way through the book, giving the romance a forced and rushed feeling to me.

The suspense in the book wasn't up to Ms Roberts usual standards. By page 20 you can guess who the protaganist is. Normally, this doesn't present a problem, Ms Roberts has employed this type of tactic before ~ in the excellent Three Fates and The Reef ~ and yet she was unable to maintain and crank up the tension through the book.

The main characters and supporting cast were all present ~ and yet I didn't care about them at all ~ with the exception of the hero Bo Goodnight ~ Ms Roberts certainly writes great hero's. Reena's Italian family felt like they came straight out of Central Casting ~ and were curiously flat.

Finally, the whole tone of the book and the writing style was very reminiscent of J.D.Robb (Ms Roberts alter ego). There were lots of One. Word. Staccato. Sentences. and the style was quite harsh. I kept expecting Eve Dallas to come barrelling round the corner to save the day!

Disappointed but looking forward to the next ~

3.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 23 Jun 2014
C. M. M. Whiffen (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
I was dissapointed in this story,usually I like all her books.The story,I felt,was set to much in her earlier years and problems before it started in the present and the main characters seemed a bit unexciting

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Smoke
Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 27 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01