4.0 out of 5 stars The necessity of having breathing room.
Published on 25 Sep 2003 by Carina Donner

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok
The book to me was one of those books you read just to past the time. It started out really good and I was really enjoying it, but then it went horribly wrong the whole storyline about the town is just OTT, however saying that I did feel the relationship between the main characters was really entertaining to read, but the whole thing as a whole didn't do it for me...
Published on 5 Jan 2011 by Ang

4.0 out of 5 stars The necessity of having breathing room., 25 Sep 2003
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
I always enjoy Susan Elizabeth Phillips books and this is not an exception. The humour is there as well as the tolerant way she has of looking at people and places: this is probably why I like her so much i.e. her positive way of painting pictures of life without becoming too shallow. SEP's books are usually very 'American', but I thoroughly enjoyed the setting of this book in Italy. Being a European I think it's very interesting to see how American writers look at some aspects of today's Europe. All the books in this genre are essentially escapist and that's probably the main reason to why we buy and read them. And I really believe that we all need breathing room now and then; this book may be an inspiration to listen to yourself and realise it might be a good idea to - if possible - get away from it all and do something completely different for a while. The love-story is a good one: some tantalizing sex-scenes, some ups-and-downs and finally a happy ending and - as we are to understand - a continued inspired, active and imaginative sex-life between our heroine and hero. We like that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy, stunning and totally absorbing, 15 Oct 2007
Thanks to the doubtful reviews I almost didn't buy this book but I am so glad that I did. Isabel is not at all like me so it was interesting to identify with such a diffent character and Ren is just sexy...I don't like their initial encounter but I'm a hardcore romantic so that doesn't count! All hang-ups are explained...the part about oral sex is because she doesn't like to lose control. If you like SEP buy it because it's high up on my list of favourites and if you've never read SEP before if you are looking for romance, laughs and men you just want to take home with you BUY THIS BOOK!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 20 Jan 2010
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
I almost didn't buy this because of the negative reviews but I really enjoyed it. I love the dialogue and exchanges between the two main characters; they had a sizzling energy running between them. The story line is a bit daft but I don't read SEP for hard hitting reality.
One of my favourites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic escapism, 8 Oct 2003
Miss LJ (Surrey, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
I have to agree with Carina, and I haven't even read the ending yet. A great read to escape with. Beautifully descriptive with scenery food and the sex scenes! Quite light hearted which is nice as it doesn't take it's self to seriously! There are some wonderful tips hidden in this book if you are having relationship problems!
The only negative thing I can say about this book is the typos! Ren - the attractive actor in the love story has he's name spelt differently many times and it can be a bit confusing! Especially when one chapter starts off with a romantic scene and Isabel is lying on a table with Ben?! Where did he come from?!
But all in all a great easy read but it is quite a girly book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice coffee table read, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Breathing Room (Kindle Edition)
This book is quite humorous, full of sarcastic retorts !! A definite read, however the ending is not as impressive as expected and hence I chose to give it 4 stars! otherwise this one for sure deserved a 5 star (first 3/4 part)

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
I enjoy the writings of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I have been reading her books for years.
This story is light reading and very enjoyable to just pass the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, 5 Jan 2011

It's an ok read that all I can say, I don't hate it but then I don't love it either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not the best SEP book, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
I've read most of SEPs books this is a pleasant read but the characters just didn't grab me the way that most previous ones did. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't read all the others first (The Stars books in particular had me laughing out loud by the end of the first chapter).

That said this wasn't bad but the story and characters seemed to drag - until Ren's ex turned up - the book got more humourous at this point but the fact that this was mid book and the Ren/Ben/hen typos mentioned by a previous reviewer also let it down (especially as my copy was a 2008 reissue, woud have thought the typos would have been removed).

If this was by any other author may well have got more stars but other SEP books have spoilt me being longer/funnier and Breathing Room didn't quite match up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tuscany at its best, 26 May 2004
This review is from: Breathing Room (Paperback)
Susan E. Phillips is known for writing funny and vivid scenes. Setting this book in Tuscany just tops it off. She describes beautiful scenes of Italy and a romance developing. Developing with hickups, you might say. This book is different from SEP's usual books, in that it involves a bit more of suspense and drama: the people in this small town are desperate to find a small statue, one that is thought to be repsonsible for the birth of children.
However, as usual, SEP manages to display a character with whom you can easily identify: Dr. Isabel is a woman so engaged in her work, that she finds it hard to make time for the things in life that really count. Although she is aware of the fact that she is "postponing" the good times, it takes someone else upsetting her life before she realises there is no such thing as postponing happiness. It just slips by you.
She makes up her mind and goes to Tuscany for a welldeserved holiday, although she's not sure how to go about "doing nothing". And then Ren comes along.
A book to bring you in a holiday kind of mood. The mouthwatering descriptions of Tuscan food made me run to the market and buy fresh produce (I made a tomatoe soup, following "Marta's" good example). Good one to stop and think about the daily hassle that keeps you busy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toscany at its best, 2 May 2004
Susan E. Phillips is known for writing funny and vivid scenes. Setting this book in Toscany just tops it off. She describes beautiful scenes of Italy and a romance developing. Developing with hickups, you might say. This book is different from SEP's usual books, in that it involves a bit more of suspense and drama: the people in this small town are desperate to find a small statue, one that is thought to be repsonsible for the birth of children.
She makes up her mind and goes to Toscany for a welldeserved holiday, although she's not sure how to go about "doing nothing". And then Ren comes along.
A book to bring you in a holiday kind of mood. Good one to stop and think about the daily hassle that keeps you busy.

Breathing Room
Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Paperback - 26 Jun 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01