4.0 out of 5 stars Spare me the Critics
This is my favourite one out of all of the books.

I can't be doing with people who actually take chic-lit seriously and come over all "Edger Allan Poe" - chic-lit is what it is - something to take you away for an enjoyable break from real life - can you really beat a rainy afternoon and a good book - It's not real you know folks!
Published on 18 April 2008 by Catherine L. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down after her first novel
I really enjoyed Ms Nathan's first novel, and had high hopes of this one. But try as I did to like it, I thought it never really got off the ground. I lost count of the number of times characters overheard conversations it seemed to be the only way the plot ever advanced. In the end it all got a bit repetitive and I was glad when the book was finished. Along the way there...
Published on 31 Jan 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What fun!, 6 July 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
Like many other readers, I also had read "Pride, Prejudice, and Jasmin Field," and was eagerly awaiting this new book -- well worth the wait! Cleverly witty with a modern spin on Austin's Persuasion, I was very much impressed! I can't wait until the next Nathan vehicle!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...late starter to Ms Nathan's work, 10 May 2007
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
Well unlike many of the reviewers here, I actually started reading Melissa's work with her latest book - The Learning Curve. So many 'chick-lit' books claim to be modern and funny and achieve very little of either (by my definitions!) I laughed out loud many times through Learning Curve and Persuading Annie was no different.

Annie's character was well written and who could fail to be convinced by her relentless battle to take control of her life.

I haven't read Persuasion (started JA with Mansfield Park and sadly I've been reluctant to carry on, though I know I probably should!)so I was relieved of the temptation to compare characters and plots with the original. In fact for me it's almost irrelevant that the story has been borrowed - it very much stands alone as a 20th century story of love, loyalty and life choices.

I'm very much looking forward to reading Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field next, which I've just puchased. In searching I also found a website for fans of Melissa... [...] if anyone else is interested?

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing but still good, 16 July 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I agree with some of the previous review, I don't know persuasion as well as Pride and Prejudice but besides this, I found the book to be weaker than the first one. The characters are not as well drawn or too stereotypical and the plot is a bit messy with the travels to NY. I found myself wishing the plot would improve as this book was slowly turning into one of the more average 'comedy book' such as Amanda's wedding etc. However, I have to say that it remains entertaining, easy and quick to read but not as effective as PP&JF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug 2014
Wife enjoying it

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not the best of Nathan In My Opinion, 4 May 2008
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I found the relationship between Annie and her hero pretty engrossing, but Annie bothered me a bit. I guess I would have hoped her to be a bit more like Anne in Jane Austen's 'Persuasion'(of which this is a kind of a modernization). Maybe it's silly to be so critical of a fictional character, but her recless driving and the fact that she didn't always seem that concerned about other people's safety bothered me. That's kind of a pet peeve of mine, so maybe that's why I didn't like that. Anyway, if one wants some escapism, I think this novel is to be recommended. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuading Annie, 13 Jan 2006
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
after having read Persuasion by jane Auten and loving it, while leaving me with some questions, i was really exicted about reading this one. i have read some of Melissa Nathans other books and really enjoyed those. so when i finished reading this book i found that the Melissa Nathan really took Jane Austens novel a little deeper into the characters personalities and answering all my questions.
its a great book and an amazing read and i personally recomend this to any mordern day Jane Austen Fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austin must be turning in her grave, 22 April 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I really liked the idea of this book, but in the end was just so disappointed. I tried very hard just to suspend disbelief, but the PR company and the stupid transatlantic to-ing and fro-ing was half-baked and unbelievable. Still, it wasn't as bad as Pemberly...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Persuading Annie
Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 28 Dec 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01