4.0 out of 5 stars Great!
This book is highly recommendable! I love the way that Melissa Nathan has turned the loveable Pride and Prejudice into a modern masterpiece.
I only give it four stars as the only problem is you can see the plot straight away, especially if you are a P+P fan like myself.
Otherwise this has been a highly enjoyable read, and all my friends who also bought the book...
Published on 14 Oct 2002 by cuteypi

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Stick with the original!
I've re-read Pride and Prejudice many times and the reviews and description of this book made it sound like a clever and novel adaptation. After reading it however, I was left feeling very disappointied. The imitation of Jane Austins story is, overall, clumsy. At times you get the distinct impression that the author was simply casting around for any equivelent event,...
Published on 7 April 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant contemporary Pride and Prejudice!!, 1 Feb 2001
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book enough on these horrible cold winter days and nights. Just snuggle up on your sofa or in bed with a mug of tea, coffee or better still, a glass of wine, and relish in this update of a great classic. I thoroughly enjoyed all the characters particularly Jazz, George, and Harry. It was interesting to compare characters to the original P & P, but also to compare how Melissa Nathan updated the story such as Carrie and William. I also enjoyed reading about the production of a play from auditions through rehearsals to the performance. This enhanced the story and characters, and added to my understanding of Jazz. Overall, I loved this book, and I couldn't put it down till it finished (even though I did guess the ending!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever - Couldn't put it down, 1 Oct 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
If you have read the original P & P, then this most of this story will be predictable - still a great read. What a unique way this is brought into today's setting, without losing the stong characters of the original. A few lines could have been left out - but get past them to get into this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 25 April 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This very much follows the plot of the Jane Austen original and I was surprised at how funny the modern version was. Don't try to compare the two - you can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 22 Mar 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
Mellisa Nathan must be complimented. In trying to update Pride & Prejudice she has chosen to grapple with one of the best loved stories of all time. She succeeds extremely well. We all know how it is going to end, but the contempory setting has been worked out with great skill, and you can feel for all the participants. We can understand their motivations and their wishes. At last we have a normal heroine with a brain, who is not obsessed with catching a man as a means to prove her worth. She eats chocolate and enjoys it! She loves her family and is quite happy to stay single until the right man comes along if he ever does. The secondary characters are well drawn, and they also react true to the spirit of Jane Austen's originals. This book is just crying out to be made into a one off television drama or film. I look forward to Ms Nathan's next novel and hope it won't be too long a wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Bridget Jones!, 24 Feb 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
A fun and lively book that I couldn't put down. And - at last - a contemporary heroine who isn't completely neurotic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first time novel, very funny and refreshingly ironic, 11 Feb 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
A throughly enjoyable read. Even though I have never read Jane Austen, I found it very easy to identify with the characters. A great start for a new and young writer. I can't wait to read her next novel. I needed cheering up when I started reading this and it did the trick perfectly. I think there is a part of us in all the characters, especially Jazz and Mo. (I admit eating chocolate on the sofa in the evening is my idea of heaven as well) WELL DONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. All that Bridget Jones tried to be but failed, 18 Jan 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
Hilarious, educative, gripping. Just wonderful. This knocks the socks off Bridget Jones - this has a character (Jasmin) who is the person that most women I know aspire to be/dream of being (you know - assertive but anxious, cutting but warm, gorgeous but not a stick insect) rather than Helen Fielding's worm. Thank you! More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not The Real Jane, but Still Great!, 28 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I'm a huge fan of Jane Austin's work, but not a snobbish one. I love books that take off on her stories, as long as they're good stories on their own. P,P & JF is just that - a sweet, fun story. I don't think you'd need to be a P&P fan to enjoy this story, but it's more fun if you are. It's sly and clever, and you really root for Jasmin to find happiness with her "Darcy" at the end...

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun update of one of my all-time fave books!, 19 Mar 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This book was a fun, light update of "Pride and Prejudice". The author has not gone as in detail on the social issues as the original; but then again she didn't have to, choosing instead to take a different angle on it and therefore produce a new, enjoyable story from it. This book can be read with or without knowing the original inside out - but it is fun spotting the characters and plot twists from "P&P": I found Darcy's letter being converted into Harry's email was a great idea!
As for Jasmin, I think she is a great character to identify with, and I agree with others who have said it is good to see a "normal" female heroine, ie. one who is intelligent but not completely neurotic (although there are other great female characters who may be considered to fit that description).

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, yet predictable, 17 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I was excited to read this since I am a fan of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and BBC's 1995 adaptation. What I found was a novel which mirrored the original and sometimes I found the parallel a little too strong. The hero and heroine end up acting as Elizabeth and Darcy in a play. It was too obvious for me. I was expecting a more interesting version (Kate Fenton's Lions and Liquorice) or maybe funny and quirky like Bridget Jones' Diary. If you're the type who likes contemporary-mirrors-early 19th century, then you'll like Melissa Nathan's book better than I did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field
Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 6 Jan 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01