4.0 out of 5 stars Great!
This book is highly recommendable! I love the way that Melissa Nathan has turned the loveable Pride and Prejudice into a modern masterpiece.
I only give it four stars as the only problem is you can see the plot straight away, especially if you are a P+P fan like myself.
Otherwise this has been a highly enjoyable read, and all my friends who also bought the book...
Published on 14 Oct 2002 by cuteypi

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Stick with the original!
I've re-read Pride and Prejudice many times and the reviews and description of this book made it sound like a clever and novel adaptation. After reading it however, I was left feeling very disappointied. The imitation of Jane Austins story is, overall, clumsy. At times you get the distinct impression that the author was simply casting around for any equivelent event,...
Published on 7 April 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but be warned, 4 Jan 2012
roger webb (Crawley down west Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
Great book I thoroughly enjoyed it but be warned this is also sold under the title "Acting Up" so don't buy it again thinking it is a different book

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day Darcy and Elizabeth, 21 Dec 2009
D. Berry - See all my reviews
If you have ever read or watched Jane Austens pride and prejudice you know how this story is going to go but its great to read the story with a modern twist to it.You can relate the characters in it to the ones in Pride and predjudice. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 18 Aug 2008
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
I must confess that I only know the Pride & Prejudice story from the televised BBC version some years ago, but I did really enjoy Melissa Nathan's version. I liked the idea of it being set in modern times & in a theatrical setting. Like other Melissa Nathan novels, I was almost half way through the book before I 'really' got into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Pride and Prejudice........, 20 Dec 2006
This was the second Melissa Nathan book I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. She plays very nicely with the story of P&P, as a group of celebs put on a charity staging of the novel as a play. However, you may notice certain parallels between the stars who are involved in the play and Jane Austen's classic story....

You can always rely on Melissa Nathan to produce interesting characters and great writing, and on this occasion she has produced the goods again. Definitely recommended for JA fans and fans of modern romantic fiction alike (or for those who, like me, enjoy both!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun update of one of my all-time fave books!, 19 Mar 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This book was a fun, light update of "Pride and Prejudice". The author has not gone as in detail on the social issues as the original; but then again she didn't have to, choosing instead to take a different angle on it and therefore produce a new, enjoyable story from it. This book can be read with or without knowing the original inside out - but it is fun spotting the characters and plot twists from "P&P": I found Darcy's letter being converted into Harry's email was a great idea!
As for Jasmin, I think she is a great character to identify with, and I agree with others who have said it is good to see a "normal" female heroine, ie. one who is intelligent but not completely neurotic (although there are other great female characters who may be considered to fit that description).

3.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 22 May 2001
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
Liked it - a light read that doesn't demand a huge amount of concentration, ideal if you want a book to read on a flight or on the beach. I read it after finishing my degree and it was a wonderful salve to my overwrought brain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not The Real Jane, but Still Great!, 28 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I'm a huge fan of Jane Austin's work, but not a snobbish one. I love books that take off on her stories, as long as they're good stories on their own. P,P & JF is just that - a sweet, fun story. I don't think you'd need to be a P&P fan to enjoy this story, but it's more fun if you are. It's sly and clever, and you really root for Jasmin to find happiness with her "Darcy" at the end...

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 25 April 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This very much follows the plot of the Jane Austen original and I was surprised at how funny the modern version was. Don't try to compare the two - you can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Bridget Jones!, 24 Feb 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
A fun and lively book that I couldn't put down. And - at last - a contemporary heroine who isn't completely neurotic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, yet predictable, 17 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I was excited to read this since I am a fan of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and BBC's 1995 adaptation. What I found was a novel which mirrored the original and sometimes I found the parallel a little too strong. The hero and heroine end up acting as Elizabeth and Darcy in a play. It was too obvious for me. I was expecting a more interesting version (Kate Fenton's Lions and Liquorice) or maybe funny and quirky like Bridget Jones' Diary. If you're the type who likes contemporary-mirrors-early 19th century, then you'll like Melissa Nathan's book better than I did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field
Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 6 Jan 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01