4.0 out of 5 stars Great!
This book is highly recommendable! I love the way that Melissa Nathan has turned the loveable Pride and Prejudice into a modern masterpiece.
I only give it four stars as the only problem is you can see the plot straight away, especially if you are a P+P fan like myself.
Published on 14 Oct. 2002 by cuteypi

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Stick with the original!
Published on 7 April 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 14 Oct. 2002
Otherwise this has been a highly enjoyable read, and all my friends who also bought the book have said the same as I have.
I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys, 'girly type novels'

4.0 out of 5 stars funny-bit over the top, P&P is of course better in every way, 20 July 2000
Raina (Vienna, Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
First of all, i really enjoyed this book, and I thought it was funny and innovative. I liked Jazz and Harry as Elizabeth and Darcy, though I must say, while it was clear that every main P&P character would have an equivalent in this book, it was a little over the top to cast them almost all as their alter ego. the obnoxious reporter didn't have to play Mr.Collins for us to recognize.First rule of writing an interesting novel: don't get too obvious. Also, the events in P&P were mirrored step by step, and sometimes they seemed implausibly constucted(like the story about Harry's sister and Josie sleeping with Wills) just to match P&P. I also found the tendency to set up every single character at the end of the novel deconstructing to the entirity of the book.
Something also made the book the worse for me, and that was the one thing she didn't take from P&P:Lady Catherine DeBurgh. she appears, but has not really a speaking part. She is such an addition to P&P that it really is an empty space noone is filling. All in all do two things before reading this: read Pride and Predjudice, and acknowledge that it is infinitely superior to everything you will read during probably your lifetime( excepting other Jane Austen novels like Emma and Mansfield Park), then discard any hopes for reproduction of genius like Jane Austen's, and you will be fine. Enjoy, but do not reason. Do not judge too harshly, remember, the stage of Jane Austen's excellence is not to be reached, so be nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh aloud funny, 13 May 2005
I loved this book... I loved the heroine, the hero and there were lines in there that had me laughing like a loony. I would recommend this to anyone and Ms Austen fans will get an extra buzz from it. And if you loved this - read Persuading Annie too. Marvellous!

5.0 out of 5 stars In need of a new copy -- I've worn mine out!, 31 Mar. 2003
J. A. Barton "mad4plaid" (Minneapolis, US) - See all my reviews
I admit it, I hated reading Pride and Prejudice as a kid. However, I do own the TV version w/ Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, and after seeing that show, I read the book again and loved it.
Which is what drew me to this book. I love the idea of updating a classic, especially if you cannot necessarily see the original story in the update. That's how this book is: the characters stand alone; while mirroring Darcy, Elizabeth, Jane and the others, Ms. Nathan's characters are thoroughly modern people with modern flaws.
And if you aren't familiar with P&P (and there are a LOT of people in the USA who aren't), I think you'll still enjoy this book. I've shared the book with friends who wouldn't know Austin from Bronte or even Shakespeare (seriously!), and they enjoyed the book immensely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Laugh-out-loud romantic best!, 29 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
As a major Jane Austin fan, I eagerly await any new adaptations on her classic stories of love and truth. I picked up this novel for the title alone -- not knowing anything about it at all. I was so pleasantly surprised to find such an entertaining novel! There were several parts that I just found myself laughing out loud to (prompting strange looks from my husband)! But who can resist? Nathan has taken Austin's Victorian characters and perfectly embodied them with 21st century thoughts and words -- not to mention the greatest dialect on a fruit perhaps ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, unputdownable, laugh-out-loud romance this year!, 10 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This modern-day update of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is an absolute must for any Austen fan. It's also a must for anyone who likes to laugh ... a lot. It's also a must who for anyone who loves a ripping good yarn. It's also a must for anyone who loves a romantic adventure. You know the way that Bill Bryson embarrased you by making you laugh out loud on the train? Well this one will do the same. Even though I know how Pride & Prejudice ends, I still found myself anxious about the characters that I was made to care deeply about. Austen would be proud of this update. The parallels with the original are extremely clever but by no means rip off Austen's work. This version has clever twists, turns and adventures of it's own. It is fascinating to read how Nathan finds that the very same society issues that Austen raised are still prevalent today. My only complaint is that I missed my stop on the train - and hence my urgent appointment - because I couldn't tear myself away from the gripping plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh version of a great classic, 8 May 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
When I started reading the book, I didn't immediately realise that it was following the plot of the original P&P (which I had forgotten a bit) but once I realised it, I found it even more clever. However, the quality of this book is not only in making an old story look actual, it is also in making the characters so real. I really got into the lives of Jazz and Harry and I really felt like part of the story. The style is good too and it avoids a lot of the more "girly books" expressions and clichés, which makes this book different from a lot of them. At the end of the day, it is a love story, and even if, like most people I knew the ending, I really enjoyed seeing how the characters would get there.
A very good first novel, when's the next one coming out?

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is hilarious!, 1 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
I do love Bridget Jones, but Jasmin Field, being far less neurotic and obsessive, is a much easier character for me to identify with. P&P is one of my all-time favorite books, and I loved trying to figure out which of Jazz's friends (and enemies) corresponded to Jane Austen's characters (BTW, another modern take on P&P is Kate Fenton's "Lions & Licorice," which I also highly recommend.).
This book is very well-written, and almost every page has something to make me laugh. In fact it made me laugh out loud on several occasions, which is not necessarily a good thing when one is reading in public! I especially loved the discussion about mangos. I will never think about them in the same way again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming adaption,, 3 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
This book is a heart warming read, that makes you feel like you're on an emotional rollacoaster. It is a great book which can be read over and over again. This really is worth reading, you won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Stick with the original!, 7 April 2000
This review is from: Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field (Paperback)
I've re-read Pride and Prejudice many times and the reviews and description of this book made it sound like a clever and novel adaptation. After reading it however, I was left feeling very disappointied. The imitation of Jane Austins story is, overall, clumsy. At times you get the distinct impression that the author was simply casting around for any equivelent event, however unrealistic. I found it fairly difficult to believe, for example, that the nation would really be that interested in the fairly mundane life of Jasmin's married sister Josie. Equally many of the characters were one-dimensional and appeared to exist for the sole purpose of providing an equivelent to the original story. The lead character of Jasmin in particular was a very poor imitation of Elizabeth Bennett, lacking much of her charm and wit. Instead she came across as arrogant, self obsessed, aggressive and fairly unlikeable to be honest. Whilst Pride and Prejudice has you rooting for Elizabeth and Mr Darcy to get together, I have to say that as I approached the end of this book I was just counting the pages to see when it would finish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field
Pride, Prejudice and Jasmine Field by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01