5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
"Black Hills" by Nora Roberts is a fantastic book which should be enjoyed in a comfy seat with lots of time to read because there is so much to take in.
Published on 1 July 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Just So-So for me
I am usually a huge Nora Roberts fan, but this one didn't grip me at all. I normally can't put a book down until I finish it and saved this one for when I had a week off work, but I found myself putting it to one side a lot. I also found I was more interested in Farley and Tansy's relationship than Cooper and Lil's,I couldn't relate to Lil being angry with Coop for...
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by maryannlou

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Black Hills (Hardcover)
Dr. Lilian Chance is living her dream. She built up the Chance Wildlife Refuge in the Black Hills where she cares for animals. She lives a satisfying and happy life but could never forget her first (and only) love Cooper Sullivan. They met as children on her parents farm in the Black Hills, fell in love as teenagers and broke up some time later. While he ended up in New York as a cop Lil never left her home.
Even today, 12 years later, Lil is still in love with Cooper. When he comes back to the Black Hills to stay he wants another chance with Lil. He's still in love with her and when someone starts making trouble for Lil and her Refuge he is there to help. Soon they find out that there is a serial killer on the loose who likes to hunt his prey and who plans to make Lil his next victim. Cooper is there to make sure that Lil stays safe and to win her back.
But in the end it's up to Lil to decide if she can trust Cooper again and to outwit the killer.

I love everything about "Black Hills". The characters are great and the scenery (Black Hills plus the wildlife) is so lively described that sometimes I felt like I was actually there.
Lil is an awesome heroine. She is a strong and caring woman who has been fascinated by the wildlife since she was nine. She is very sure about her goals in life and works hard to achieve them.
She loved Cooper practically from their first meeting and never thought that they could break up. Cooper also never stopped loving Lil but growning up with cold and uncaring parents made him uncertain about himself. He needed more time than Lil to build up his life and to become the person he wanted and needed to be. He never intended to break her heart, he honestly thought that ending their relationship was the best for Lil and him.
I enjoyed reading about their relationship as children, teens and adults a lot. Especially because the changes in their relationship aren't rushed and I can understand Lil's fear to be hurt again but I also love how Cooper stays steady in pursuing her and is solid as a rock but also very sexy.
Furthermore the book contains a really sweet second lovestory, all the characters are great and very likable (ok, all besides the creapy and crazy serial killer) and the end is breathtaking. So all in all "Black Hills" is an outstanding book that you shouldn't miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!!!, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
Gosh, I don't know how Nora Roberts does it, but she still manages to write one great book after the next ...

Out of the 20 or so books I have read by her yet (I only discovered her books a year ago) this is possibly the best --- I absolutely loved it, and finished it in 3 days!

The characters are great - both the lead and supporting characters. The story is set mostly in a wildlife refuge in the Black Hills of South Dakota --- not your usual setting for a book, and definitely very interesting. That's something I really like about Mrs. Roberts's books --- she always makes sure to use different geographical settings (Alaska, Wyoming, Tennessee, South Dakota and many more) and themes (from the repercussions of traumatic events or family secrets to such things as house-flipping or now wildlife conservation).

"Black Hills" is superbly written and engaging ... there's a beautiful romance (actually, more than one), there's suspense right until the end ... a definite winner ... :o)

If you liked "Angels Fall" or "Northern Lights" then you're going to love "Black Hills"!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book wish the ending had an epilogue, 4 Mar 2011
Mrs. V. Leete "Vanessa" (Great Yarmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
I loved this book, especially the romance between Lil and Cooper, the only only thing I wished that this book had an epilogue, as usual this book had an happy ending, but as far as I was concerned the ending was not long enough. The book had 538 pages, the ending was about 2 pages in total. I felt the second romance in the book had more of an ending than the main characters of Lil and Cooper. All in all putting that aside I feel that 'Black Hills' was a brilliant written book by Nora Roberts. I find her one of the best authors, and now I have read quite a few of her books and they are all brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Hills, 18 Aug 2009
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
this is a lovely read in every sense, romance drama, history to drool for, dangerous animals, believable and loving relationships, hornery characters, a nasty but possible protaganist, i.e. you can see his point of view even when don't agree etc. Really good thriller to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it., 27 April 2012
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
I have never read a nora roberts novel, and got this free with a national paper. i have since bought another. It gripped me on the first page, i would definatly recommend it to everyone to have a go at. Read it. you will not be disapointed. enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Hills by Nora Roberts, 7 Oct 2009
Mrs. Sandra Trindall "roberts reveller" (North Somercotes, Lincolnshire, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
As always an excellent Nora Roberts book, a thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat, but with a happy ending. Bought new from Amazon, no hitches and the book arrived when it should have. Excellent service for an excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Black Hills (Kindle Edition)
An absorbing novel. Once started it was difficult to put it down. Nora Roberts never fails to deliver interesting characters and situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars black hills, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Black Hills (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable read. Read too quickly, a book you will not put down, as usual Nora Roberts does it again, next book to read now

5.0 out of 5 stars Black hills, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
the Black Hills was a brillant read. I loved it & didnt want to put the book down until I finished it. another great book by Nora roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant creation, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
Nora Roberts is fantastic, if anybody still needs convincing, read "Black Hills". Many of her novels combine witches, ghosts and the occasional vampire, but "Black Hills" is down to earth and can be enjoyed by anybody. I immediately fell in love with the setting and easily related to the characters, I couldn't put it down. I read it over a weekend and once finished I leant it to my mum, now I have it back I will be taking this weekend to read it again and remind myself of the thrills and passion so eloquently written by Ms Roberts. Thanks for another fantastic story.

Black Hills
Black Hills by Nora Roberts (Paperback - 3 Jun 2010)
5.99