4.0 out of 5 stars motivation for change, 30 Dec 2005
Jane Hoyle (Exmouth, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this book very helpful in considering where some attitudes and behaviour had come from, and how to start changing them. I particularly liked the concept of a cycle/ rhythm to change, that happens gradually - I think this is more realistic than expecting everything to change overnight, with the inevitable disappointment when it doesn't. This book is a useful tool for thinking about personal (dis)organisation and making plans for change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorted!, 1 Oct 2006
BP1 "BP1" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am chronically disorganised; I have been ever since I remember. I didn't want to be disorganised but inspite of any effort I made I eventually slipped back into my old ways. I never knew why I was disorganised. With Marilyns book I am learning why I am so disorganised and how to do something about it. As long as you put in the work this book will help you to 'sort out your stuff!'.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last - a reason to organise!, 15 Aug 2005
Often I organised for its own sake, as an end in itself because I 'knew' it was a 'good thing to do' and because successful people are organised blah blah ad nauseam, ad infinitum! However, like many people ( I suspect) I still hated doing it because it took time away from more interesting pursuits and - like doing the dirty dishes - it HAD to be done some time. Well, you know what happens when you tell people they HAVE to do something? Instant resistance (for more on this I suggest the excellent Get Everything Done and Still Have Time to Play - a perfect companion to this book.)
I was so blinkered in my dislike of organising I had never considered the bigger picture - how organising actually contributes to me doing the things I love in life. For example, time spent searching through mess I haven't cleared up is actually time lost NOT working on my dreams. It is also time spent getting stressed. And it all adds up to a big cost over the longer term.
Additionally, seeing organising as essential maintenance that enables you to continue living your dream (rather than stealing time from it) has almost completely melted away my resistance to doing it. Organising/filing/doing my tax return etc is helping me to live my dream.
This is the central idea from this book - that these 'have to do them for their own sake' routines can actually be seen as part of pursuing your overall vision. And this for me is the mother-lode of this book so far (still reading it).
I recommend this book because it is the only one to address so simply and gently why on earth I should organise (and helps me to find my own reasons) rather than just assuming I want to and should just get on with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas and insights, 1 Jun 2011
Tracey (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an insightful book and its approach is pretty much unique in the organizing/managing literature. Unlike most books on the subject which merely prescribe stereotypes such as making "to do" lists and making resolutions not to be late again, this one encourages the reader to have an in-depth look at the causes of the cluttering and disorganizing and start the process of change by sorting out whatever needs to be sorted out at that level.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get out of it what you put in..., 17 May 2012
This review is from: Why Am I So Disorganised?: Sort out your stuff (Paperback)
Great book. Made me think. Still need to work through to the end of the book but while I had momentum and worked through the exercises things made sense and my organisation did improve.
The only thing I didn't agree with too much was telling everyone and getting support - I feel that is okay for some people but for me I could do without the extra pressure but overall a very positive and helpful book. Best one I've come across that has actually had some impact on me. Just flicking through I want to pick up where I left off... it's very easy to read. Written very sympathetically and won't have you beating yourself up at all, instead it is all about understanding and improving...

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever, 31 Mar 2009
this one of the best books i have read and title not do justification for the content as it deals with issues much more than disorganisation and the principles can be used to change any habits one wants to change.
it is also very clear and offer practical tools to implement change.
highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Guidebook, 28 April 2013
Mrs. Connie L. Hurd "Sheherazade" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
I originally checked this book out from the local county library, and found there was so much I wanted to work through that I bought my own copy. Dr Paul gives steps to take to help the reader get a grip on self-organization, and already, I've made some small changes which are helping me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Why Am I So Disorganised?: Sort out your stuff (Paperback)
Picked up some great tips

Why Am I So Disorganised?: Sort out your stuff
Why Am I So Disorganised?: Sort out your stuff by Dr. Marilyn Paul (Paperback - 5 Mar 2009)
8.29