5.0 out of 5 stars a rave review
I really found this book a revelation. I've been on (and off) diets for 35 years - and sometimes I even lose a bit of weight, but this book gives you the insights to really understand and then change your behaviour. I know this sounds cheesy in the extreme but I do think it's a compassionate, life-changing book.
If you're interested in why you're overweight and sick...
Published on 29 Dec 2007 by P. O'Brien

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost gave up after first two chapters
I borrowed this book from my friend last week. I love reading diet books so I couldn't wait to get reading. But I found myself getting bored after the first two chapters. I did stick with it though but by the time I reached the end I was very disappointed.

Published on 14 Dec 2007 by Miss B

5.0 out of 5 stars a rave review, 29 Dec 2007
P. O'Brien "avidgirl" (UK) - See all my reviews
If you're interested in why you're overweight and sick of rushing from one diet to the next, this book is definitely worth a look. It's interesting, funny and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is mad and I love it!!, 18 Jun 2007
C. Henley "CarlieCat" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is not your average diet book - don't flick to the end to find the recipes and exercises because you'll be disappointed when you find there are none.

Deciding to treat her readers like grown ups, Beck tells us we know how to eat and live to lose weight - we just don't do it. That's what this book is about - giving you the tools to to change your habits for ever - just 4 days at a time.

I can't tell you whether it works (you'd have to ask those around me) and I've been reading it on and off for the past couple of weeks but have just started the exercises. What I can tell you is I haven't laughed at a book so much in a long time - and I've never laughed at a diet book!

Give it a go and you too will find yourself imagining little 2 inch tinpot dictator versions of yourself and having arguments with the other half of your brain to do some exercise when it wants to drool at some bloke on the tv instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't have believed it!, 9 July 2009
L. C. Allison "Ms Average" (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 4-Day Win: Change the way you think about food and your body in just 4 days (Paperback)
I didn't believe losing weight could be easy, but this book proved me wrong. Without ever actually dieting I dropped from size 20 to size 12 in around 6 months. The title's a little misleading ... it actually involves a series of 4 day wins. Each is a small (tiny!) mental exercise - they all seem so insignificant that you can't believe they will achieve anything. Nevertheless, without making even the slightest effort I went from effortlessly hoovering a large bar of chocolate pretty much every night, to only wanting one or two squares at a time. Ditto with portion sizes. I have continued to relish my curries, chips, chocolate and every other foodie sin, but I now want to stop as soon as I'm full. The weight came off and has stayed off. I cannot recommend this book highly enough (in fact, I think just about everyone I know has now bought a copy!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning for real... Aka "how to be skinnier in 4 days..., 8 July 2012
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As an expert in addiction, weight loss and a few other things I love coming across really inspiring people and really helpful information.

Sometimes someone creates a different take on similar info...

Martha Beck has taken a model of change:
Pre contemplation
Contemplation
Preparation
Action
Maintenance
Relapse
Termination

And she has really done something amazing. This is a really well thought out book that can help you overcome a lifetime of unsuccessful dieting...

It isn't magic or too clever. It's just really helpful information with some exercises that will help you "map" where you're at and how to get to where you want.

The idea of a four day win is brilliant. When I was running very successful weight loss groups we used to laugh about "the 4 day diet / binge cycle"...

Great for 4 days, lose the plot at the weekend for 2 days, starve yourself for a day and then weighed again at the group... And so it goes...

This is based upon the simple fact of if we "know" how to successfully diet for 4 days and I have worked with enough people to know 4 days is a good time frame then "Stop at 4 days" and start again...

Simple and pure genius...

Another great thing about the way Martha writes is her honesty and humour and also how she has made the transtheoretical model of change her own and changed the last bit into "Celebration" rather than termination because the reality is you can't terminate eating...

And if you look at dieting as an event you are doomed to failure from the start - just because of the simple fact of if you continue eating as you currently do then you will stay the same size or get bigger.

The best part of the book for me is "Stage 4: Action" and specifically chapter 29: Creating your day map: The second most important weight loss skill in the history of the universe.

If you want to know what Martha reckons is the first most important skill then I recommend you buy the book...

A day map is a really simple way of charting what you actually do in an average day. You draw a circle like a clock face on a sheet of paper and then just write around the outside what you do - moving, eating and activity wise.

You may also have different day maps for work days and weekend days and the object of the exercise is awareness... Not judgement or change just a simple reality check...

Then the fun begins for real because once you "know" where you're at and where you want to go then you can begin to plan your ongoing journey.

And creating lasting change and successful change is much more about planning, having the right resources, supportive people and the appropriate skill set then anything else.

One thing I must mention is this is a rather comprehensive book and something I reckon is more like a wonderful reference book that you dip in and out of and play about with than a book you read once.

Like all my diet book recommendations and I really recommend this book then my other recommendation is that you read it for one hour daily whilst walking around your local park.

If you really like this book then google Martha as she has also written another couple of books, has a brilliant website and helps people through coaching to live the life of their dreams... Nice...

Anyway, live the dream, buy the book and learn how to dream while you're awake...

5.0 out of 5 stars Use calories as you LOL, 21 Mar 2009
Martha, as ever is spot on. And very funny -with her very dry sense of humour she'll make you laugh out loud which in itself is worth a few calories.
No quick fixes here - the four day win is a series of four day wins. But all of them sensible and inspiring, so if you really want to tame your weight loss dragon (Martha calls it a lizard) go for the Four Day Win.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fresh way to approach a diet, 21 Nov 2010
Don't expect meal plans or advice on how to calculate calories. In her book The 4 Day Win, Martha Beck applies common sense psychology to get behind the "why" people eat more calories than they need. She also describes (with literature citations), the behavior patterns which contribute to classic diets failing (the ones which tell you simply to eat less and exercise more). In the first day after reading the first couple of chapters I have been able to tune into my real hunger thermometer and have already started to break my bad eating habits.

Martha applies her classic theory of "plenty" and shows how this hoarding urge manifests itself in our eating habits. It's quite fascinating and true--and unlocking this previously unexplored area is extremely helpful in changing the way you eat forever (and it isn't at all difficult!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 6 Feb 2014
This is a great different approach to losing weight and in life in general. Love it though I am still not disciplined enough to stick to it entirely. Still I am undoing many years of useless habits. Can start quickly and then go back for the details. The exercises I have done do work and I feel calmer around food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing and life challenging, 30 Mar 2013
This book is not a easy solution to weight issues, but it helps you to take time away from food ,weight obessions and focus on being kind to yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!! Just Brilliant!!!, 11 May 2011
After having my first baby and what feels like a life time of 'issues' with my weight, trying numerous diets, slimming clubs etc, etc... (you get the idea), I was very frustrated as to why I was unable to stick and/or maintain my weight loss targets. I had heard about this book from various sources and yes, as one earlier review mentioned they couldn't get beyond chapter two, the introduction is very long winded and Beck does constantly 'tease' her reader at the start but hang on in there, it does improve.
Beck explains, having had these weight 'issues' herself and meeting many others with similar 'issues' why some of us find it SO difficult to focus and stick with a weight loss journey and possible ways to prepare, as I interpret it, the whole self for weight loss and our attitude to food and our own bodies.
It is definately one to consider.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost gave up after first two chapters, 14 Dec 2007

If you are looking for a book which explores your relationship with food, I would recommend 'Ultimate Weight Solution' by dr phil or 'I can make you thin' by Paul Mckenna.

The 4-Day Win: Change the way you think about food and your body in just 4 days