5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and sensible advice
Published on 25 Aug. 2007 by Sue Pollock

2.0 out of 5 stars Too extreme
Some parents have difficulties considering children at all during the process of divorce and become self centered, this book proposes to parent to forget about themselves and live for their children only. I found the approach too extreme and generally not helpful for a realistic upbringing a parent happiness is paramount to children balance. here is another book that I...
Published on 17 Mar. 2011 by M. Bongrand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and sensible advice, 25 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Putting Children First: A Handbook for Separated Parents (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and wish I had been able to read it two years ago when I was going through a nasty divorce. My children suffered horribly all through the process because I was an emotional wreck and was obsessed with getting my own back on their dad. Two years on and I can look back and see what I did wrong - if I had had this book then I would have known that what I was feeling was normal but that I didn't need to react as I did. Their dad was to blame for the end of our relationship not them and he did want to keep seeing them and spending time with them but I couldn't let them as I was so angry. Now they see him rarely and I know that they miss him. If you are going through divorce, read this and get your ex to read it. Children don't deserve to be caught up in their parents mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic help in my situation., 28 July 2007
I have just split up from my partner and she has got my two daughters living with her. We have argued and argued. This book has helped me to negotiate with her and I now see my girls more often and they are happier. I was gutted when my relationship split up but the book also has lots of advice for dealing with that. The book is written in a clear, direct way that is easy to follow.It explains things from a child's point of view and shows you ways to improve communication. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for separating parents, 21 April 2010
I work professionally with families and children. This is, in my opinion, the best book for separating parents that is on the market. It focuses absolutely on the needs of the children and it REALLY understands both the positions of mothers and fathers, which are quite different.

5.0 out of 5 stars something for everyone, 8 Jan. 2008
I am forty seven and recently got divorced from my wife of 23 years by mutual consent. We were really worried about how this would affect our kids so we bought as many books as possible on the subject and read them from cover to cover. I am relieved to find that what we thought we were doing right was actually right! We always wanted to provide the kids with a new way of life that included both of us and our kids go from my home to thier mom's and back several times a week to suit themselves. We live close by so its easy for them to do that but I thought they might think we were weird or wonder why we split up in the first place it was so easy. This book made me realise that we are very lucky in being able to still respect each other and our children and that so many other people don't get to this place very easily. Putting Children First gave me lots of new ideas too, for things to do with the kids and for ways of working out what to do in the future if one of us meets another person, which is bound to happen sooner or later. Anyway just wanted to say that not everyone finds it impossible but even those who find it easy need reassurance that they are getting it right and this book does just that in a very straightforward way. Its got something for everyone and I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book to give to your kids dad!, 26 July 2007
Easy to read, deals with all of the difficult bits about bringing up kids after divorce. Gives straightforward advice and ideas to sort out the things that cause hassle between parents. Particularly liked the bits about surviving after breaking up and the bits about what kids feel and what to do about it. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 1 Jan. 2013
I work with a lot of separated or separating parents. We have to acknowledge that the vast majority of parents want to protect their children from the effects of divorce but find the advice of well meaning emotive friends confusing and the demands of the legal system and financial considerations damaging. This book enables parents to priortise the needs of their children and consider their own health and well being during extremely stressful times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, 9 Jun. 2012
Holly (Auchendinny, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent support for all parents, not just separated ones. Even in the most amicable of situations this highlights the need for parents, grandparents and all other extended family members to remember that children are innocent and will always love both parents regardless of personality or actions. Also good tips on how to keep communicating even in the most painful of situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for those going through a seperation, 21 Oct. 2011
I found this book really helpful and not just with the children in mind, it also helped with emotions/feeling the parents go through. At first I skimmed the book all the way through and know that I will refer to it again and again when specific issues arise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for a very tricky area, 20 Oct. 2014
Great advice for a very tricky area. The book helped me gain a reasoned, pragmatic perspective and to rise above the selfishness and petty resentments that can get in the way of dealing with issues relating to children while hurting from a breakup. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone separating (to get an appreciation and 'heads up') or for those already separated to keep an even keel. Those in the counselling profession could probably pick up a tip or two also. It definitely helped my perspective a huge amount and gave me clear suggestions on what works and to 'putting the children first'. Quite invaluable. Thank you to the Woodall's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of insights, 15 Oct. 2014
This is a brilliant book which helped me through a difficult time - not least helping me understand how my ex felt, and have sympathy for her, despite all the awful things she had done

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Putting Children First: A Handbook for Separated Parents
Putting Children First: A Handbook for Separated Parents by Nick Woodall (Paperback - 2 Aug. 2007)