Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 29 November 2007
This is the third book by Irvin Yalom I have read, and they're all fun.

The same ideas pop up from time to time, but the characters that come into Yalom's life are always fascinating, and they change in very unexpected ways. There are lots of laughs in this book - it also goes into fantasy mode towards the end.

I like Yalom's literary references, his emphasis on being in the 'here and now' and his passionate honesty.

I work as a speechwriter and I see his books being about 'communication' in its many forms. They also inspire you to go out and live more, as Nietzsche said, "Become he who you are".
on 25 June 2014
Irvin Yalom has written a number of really insightful books about therapy and its practice. I'd expected to like this as much as LOVE'S EXECUTIONER but was disappointed as it often seemed like a tired recital of cases where the clients read like cardboard characters rather than real people.
on 9 September 2010
I have now read three books by Irvin Yalom and have found them all to be entertaing, inspirational and motivating - this being no exception. I recommend reading this book if you have an interest in this field.
on 30 May 2010
Good introduction to accessible psychotherapy. Easy to read and insightful. Left me pondering with a practicle edge.
on 24 September 2012
Irvin Yalom with typical humility shares thoughts and learnings from his psychotherapeutic practice.His books are a wonderful aid to learning both about life and as a model for a psychotherapist.
on 30 September 2013
Yalom writes simply,understandably and with such empathy and compassion,each story touches on aspects that many of us or people with whom we may work or indeed family encounter.
on 11 April 2014
I have read a good few books by Yalom and find his style very accessible and enjoyable , he takes us on a journey through his own process with his usual charm and humour
on 26 August 2015
I love Yalom's writings, thus I am biased.
I just love his gentle tone and his warm stories. Despair, struggle, redemption, life. Big heart, big mind!
on 18 April 2014
You have to read this book to know how others feel.
I didnt like the end chapter which was too imaginative. Didn't fit with the rest of the book.
on 29 July 2015
Wonderful stories, although the last few chapters appear to be dream-like fiction rather than case studies, and weren't particularly interesting.