5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant book
Published on 21 Feb. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better
I'd heard a lot about this book, so was really looking forward to reading it. So far it's a let down (I've stopped reading); although it tries to tackle real issues there is no grounding, it's dissappointing as it is mainly based on conjecture.
Published 22 months ago by L V POWELL

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant book, 21 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
A friend gave me this book for Christmas. It answers all the questions I have ever wanted to ask about my body and my health. I have also been able to relate aspects of it to my mother and my sister's lives. The book is packed with detailed information about every aspect of woman's health. But what makes it special is the wonderful soothing way in which Northrup writes. She explains just how much every feeling and emotion we hav affects our health. It was a wonderful eye-opener and made me understand so much more about why women respond to illness the way they do.
I also loved the sections on women and creativity.
A wonderful and wise book that you will want to read time and time again. Definitely a book for everyone I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Reference Book on Women's Health!, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: The Complete Guide To Women's Health And Wellbeing (Paperback)
Dr. Christiane Northrup's book, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom has been my bible for feminine health for 15 years now. Like the bible, this is quite a hefty book full of very useful information and wisdom on the subject of women's health. The author is a practicing OB/Gyn (Obstetrician and Gynecologist) of over 25 years who believes that when it comes to healing we need to acknowledge the unity of our mind, body, spirit and emotions. There are three parts to this book. Part One: From External Control to Inner Guidance explains patriarchal myth in medicine which she also refers to as addiction then leads on to an explanation of the chakras with an extremely helpful chart on energy anatomy and how different mental and emotional issues affect different organs. I have had this page bookmarked for years as I refer to it often. She goes through the inner guidance and gives case histories of women who took charge of their healing by going through their family and/or personal histories and worked through their emotions using their own personal wisdom and intuition. Part2: The Anatomy of Women's Wisdom gives medical explanations on all sorts of female health issues and the workings of our feminine body parts and how to go about healing different issues such as fibroids, endometriosis, cysts etc. The healing methods are a wonderful intelligent combination of east meets west. Dr. Northrup is not against western medicine but believes in making use of many other alternatives which are available to us such as acupuncture, natural hormone replacement, diet and nutrition. Thanks to part two of this book, I was able to use her methods to shrink two fibroids I have from 4.5 cm each to 2 cm after being told by a doctor that fibroids don't shrink! I did it using a combination of natural progesterone cream, castor oil packs, life-style change and acupuncture. Part 3: Choices For Healing: Creating Your Own Personal Plan has a health inventory which Dr. Northrup uses with her own patients. It goes through your health and family history, past medical conditions, your symptoms and your stresses in different areas of your life. After the questionnaire it then takes you through to sorting your beliefs and asks you questions about your life's purpose, the importance of respecting your emotions and your body and the many steps to healing which are partly spiritual in nature. There is a chapter on getting the most out of medical care and another on nutrition and exercise. It is brimming with helpful information. Another thing I can say about this book is that even though it is big and medical it is not in the least boring. I keep this on my night table and I don't think there has been a week that has gone by, when I haven't picked it up. There may be one or more things that some people will find objectionable such as her belief in women's choice in abortion or that some people may not be open to the mind/body connection in health. I highly recommend that every woman over 20 has this book as a reference as most women will go through some gynaecological health problems some time in their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should own this book, 20 July 2009
This book provides a wealth of information on the common problems women have, and the available medical solutions and interventions. The author is a very open-minded gynaecologist who has witnessed the amazing successes of alternative approaches too, and she shares many case-studies and suggestions for seeking help outside of the conventional health-services. She is not territorial, in that sense, and encourages women to get involved, make their own decisions and take responsibility for their health.

She presents scientific evidence to back up the information in the book, and talks about the possible causes of various health issues, including emotional causes, and how to explore those. The book is amazingly useful for someone faced with a health issue and decisions regarding medical interventions. It gives detailed information about the medical procedures themselves, many of which the author has performed, and also provides suggesions for dietary and other approaches which can be used in place of, or to complement, those. Whether the reader is pro or anti alternative-therapies, this is an excellent resource.

You don't have to have a health issue to enjoy this book, however. It is a really interesting and entertaining read, helping the reader to tap in to their own 'inner wisdom'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring... 10 stars!, 13 Mar. 2002
I have to confess, I have only so far read the sections which apply to my current situation. However, it has supplied me with more information on that particular subject matter than my G.P has in 5 visits!
She offers a range of treatments, recognising the alternative as well as the medical, and supports them with her patients' responses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book about my body., 31 July 2000
By A Customer
I purchased this book from Amazon late last year and I really don't regret it. This book is is a wonderful guide to women's health. I use it like a reference book now and I keep going back to it for more :o) I like the way Dr Northrup writes about herself, her patients and medical studies, and the way she expresses herself: it just seems to flow. This is one of my favourite books and I stongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changer., 22 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This is the only book I've ever read which I can honestly say changed my life. I now view my body, my health and creativity with a completely new perspective. It made me look at my choice of career and at how I was living my life, making me realise my creative needs were not being met. It kicked off a chain of decisions which resulted in my becoming a fitness instructor (rather than a City-based IT specialist). There's a lot in the book about abuse, which I couldn't relate to, but five years after I read it I still dip into it frequently and am always touched when I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 14 Dec. 2001
Ms. K. S. Rodgers "Karen Rodgers" (Cambridge, CAMBS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wish I had benn able to read this book 15 years ago; it would have saved me a lot of illness and unhappiness. Every teenage girl should have access to a copy, preferably also with a sympathetic trusted person with whom she can discuss issues arising.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book for Every Woman, 5 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
Sensible, realistic, no airy fairy 'self-improvement' stuff here; this book looks at the stresses and strains on our bodies and treats us seriously!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Health Guide for Women!, 26 Sept. 2002
This book is an essential for any woman who wants to understand more about her body and overall health - especially for those who suffer from any kind of gynalogical complaint, including endometriosis and other menstrual problems, fibroids and the menopause. The author is knowledgeable not only in conventional Western medicine, but also in Eastern ideas of energy flow, chakras and self-healing. It is a well-balanced blend of East meets West for those who are interested in any kind of alternative healing when standard drug treatments either don't work or apply, but are tentative of letting go of the Western medical tradition all together.
There is plenty of discussion about nutrition - straightforward advice about which vitamins and minerals are needed for optimal female health, even how to relieve cramps with the right balance in your diet. As a full-time mother and working doctor, the author is sympathetic to the demands of motherhood and offers a great deal of practical encouragement and support. With a reassuring and understanding manner, she opens the door to a self-healing ability every woman has in her, no matter the problem or trauma she has experienced. A must for any woman who wants to live to her full potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential manual on every woman's bookshelf, 25 Jan. 2014
The author has an exceptional understanding and years (decades?) experience of working with women and their bodies. She guides you through exactly what you need to know about your fertile years and the menopausal years too amongst other phases of a woman's life). If you're anything like me and terrified of the media messages about women and their fertility 'dropping off' then please read this as the author uses scientific data and stats to present a much more positive and accurate picture. If you want to be in control of your own body then BUY IT! You can dip in and out of it too.