Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2008
Really really helpful, with practical steps and activities to help you realise where you're going wrong. Highly recommended.
on 1 June 2010
I recommend this book for professionals and patients alike. Very well written and the introduction chapter grabs your attention from the start. All worriers will recognise themselves when they read this, but more importantly can really be helped to understand what keeps the worry going and then how to manage it better.
on 1 November 2010
The book is for sure helpful in reducing your worries but I found it in the beginning too lengthy and theoretical. Once you move past it - brilliant! Definitely worth a read!
This is a detailed and practical self-help book which will prove useful to many people whose worries are taking over their lives. The approach asks the reader to examine deeper issues such as personality by means of questionnaires, mentions unproductive ways of handling worry and offers seven steps to overcoming anxiety. It then deals with five specific worries: social, relationships, health, money and work. There are many useful tips such as repeating an underlying fear until it becomes boring rather than threatening. Yet I felt that it focussed on people so caught up in worry that they may consult a therapist and so was less useful to those of us who muddle through the ups and downs of life but sense that we are worrying a bit too much about matters we cannot control or about trivia. For these more ordinary concerns, Mindfulness could be a better option and Dr Leahy's book does recognise the worth of this practice and its value in everyday life.(I am not a medical doctor.)
on 1 November 2009
This book is a real eye opener from the first page! The simple layout and thought provoking text allows the reader to challenge why they think the way they do and to create more positive ways of thinking.Helps to put worries and anxieties into perspective and arms the reader with techniques to use in every day scenarios. A book that should help you toward a calmer and more fulfilling existence if you are ready for the challenge of changing!
on 1 May 2014
The book is absolutely excellent, it is a form of therapy for worriers pretty much.

I liked the fact the book shows you ways of controlling the about of worry you have on a day-to-day basis and how to deal with it without feeling like your getting no way, it basically tells you the best ways of getting out of fits of worry and panic safely.

A very kind young lady bought the book for me because I used to be terrible for worrying about things, usually things which I didn't need to worry about; when I read the book I was worried that it wouldn't help me and I would be wasting my time reading it but when I got reading it, I couldn't put it down and I had to keep reading on to find out the next tip.

I tried out some of the exercises it suggested to do for people who worry a lot and it really helped to worry less about silly little things and in actual fact, it made me realise that it was actually okay to worry an di could control it.

I hope this helps!
on 25 October 2010
This is a great self-help book by a well-known CBT authority. It's very readable and covers a range of approaches, derived from the evidence on CBT for generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and related problems. The only reason I've not given it five stars is that it's got the potential to be a bit too wide-ranging for some worriers in contrast with the more reductionist approach adopted by Adrian Wells and others. Maybe it's too much information, more to think about, and more to worry about, although it's all good information. I certainly think that the majority of people will benefit from this book and, whereas some self-help books can be quite tiresome to read, this one's structured in just the right way to keep your interest and provide you with plenty of substantial ideas to help yourself.

Donald Robertson, author of,
The Philosophy of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT): Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy
The Discovery of Hypnosis: The Complete Writings of James Braid the Father of Hypnotherapy
The Practice of Cognitive-Behavioural Hypnotherapy
on 1 February 2014
I found this book absolutely superb. I have tried a few before but this one really did help me to look at my anxiety and start to deal with it. Helped hugely to calm me and get me to sleep by reading before bed. Highly recommended.
on 22 August 2011
My GP suggested this book, and it's been very helpful. I'd advise reading a bit each day and making notes on relevant bits.Worrying can become a life consuming malaise- this helps to change.
on 17 June 2015
Amazing book. I've read loads of similar ones, but this one has really stuck with me and has helped me to change my outlook. The small exercise throughout the book were also engaging and helpful and not a nuisance like some tend to be in other similar books. This book is packed full of advice and although it isn't the newest, it is still very grounded and relevant. Does not feel flaky or flimsy, it provides logical and clear facts which should help most! BUY & it will change your life, promise.