on 21 April 2006
I'll agree with K Bert to a point. However I started my MBA on the Open University a few months ago and read this book a few months before and actually found it a nice introduction.

Granted it can't cover every topic in massive detail, but what it does give you is a nice framework for (what I assume to be from what I've studied so far) an entire MBA, granted possibly one in the US. However most of it is pretty identical so far.

For the price I'd recommend anyone contemplating buying this book to do so, I found it very useful, well written and quite easy going.
on 5 August 1998
If you are looking to gain a perspective on ideals taught in major MBA schools across the nation, you would benefit from reading this book. I am a senior finance major at the University of Texas at Austin, and I have found the readings informative and refreshing. I have given a copy to several fellow employees that have had no formal business education and they have commented on how enlightening it has been.
on 22 June 1999
Coming from a technical background and techie work environment, and finaly moving on to a marketing role. I realised I needed to know about the business aspects of the company, and found this book a single source of what a Business Manager would require. The language is easy to understands with lots of practical examples and real-life experiences. But what I value most about this book was it actually prepared me to take up the challenge to pursue my MBA
on 16 July 2003
I found the short summaries very useful, when studying for my first term MBA exams! The basics of marketing, strategy, operations mgt etc... they're all concise and easy to understand. Frankly, I found it much easier to understand than my lecturer's notes!
on 14 September 2003
I have had the 1994 edition for years. Read it and read it again.
The author comes at it from a US business school perspective, and some of the content - and a lot of the terminology - is US based.
But I am doing a UK MBA and many of the key models and theorems are as applicable in "American" as they are in English.
If you are doing an MBA, or thinking about doing an MBA - or even just want to know more about how business operates, buy this book.
on 12 June 2001
I bought this before I started on my MBA course. I found it a useful reference book giving relatively succint overviews of the major topics within each module. During the course it helped clarify in my mind what the lecturers were trying to say. I referenced this book in many essays.
on 30 December 2000
Admittedly, this is the only book of its sort that I have read... However, to me it looks like all the useful info from a business course over a full range of topics in a clear and easy to follow manner. A recommended read for anyone embarking on hardcore graduate interviews. At ten pounds awesome value - and it will be on your doorstep within hours!
on 6 June 2008
I recommend this book to everyone who wonders what MBA is all about. The chapters are small and not really boring. Language is excellent - it makes you feel reading forward. The book very concisely describes what are different segments taught in business schools. Before reading this book, I didn't have a clue about MBA. This books nearly answered all of my basic MBA queries.
on 10 May 2008
A fantastic primer for your MBA - a little too American for my personal taste in that examples et cetera are US companies but a really good overview of the type of topics to be covered.
Get this book and go through the 10-day process and you'll already be ahead in your first lessons on an MBA - useful for revision purposes too!
on 13 November 2008
OK all the carping and caveats to one side; NO it wont give you enough to get a MBA; YES it is US centric; and YES this was probably a MBA project for the author; IT IS STILL a good book.

If you want a primer for MBA study or even just a casual skim over business functionality, it will help you; and it is a lot cheaper than a MBA!