4.0 out of 5 stars Easy way to lose weight
Published on 23 Aug. 2007 by EHS

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine I suppose if you can't cook, too basic if you can.
Published on 5 July 2012 by dancingtigga

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy way to lose weight, 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Cookbook: The fast, no-hunger weightloss cookbook for vegetarians (Paperback)
I found this book very similar to Rose Elliot's other veggie low carb book 'The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet: The Fast, No-hunger Weight Loss Diet for Vegetarians' with some duplicate recipes. However, the extra recipes makes it well worth purchasing this book. Compared with other veggie low carb books, this one makes it very simple to understand how many carbs are in each recipe and therefore make losing weight extremely easy. I would (and do) recommend this book to those wanting to lose weight the veggie way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes that are also great for wheat-free diets, 22 April 2008
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I often cater for people with certain dietary needs. One of them is vegetarian, on a low-carb diet and has a wheat allergy.
The veggie bit I'm used to, but the other stuff is tricky until you get this book.
It may not say it on the cover, but this is just as useful for somebody on a wheat-free diet (though not necessarily a gluten-free one) as somebody on a low-carb diet. Since recipes containing wheat are nearly always high carb, they're not in here.
It seems like a bit of a niche product, this recipe book, but the food you make from it is just great food, like anything you'd expect from an experienced food writer like Rose Elliot. It introduces you to a few ideas you wouldn't try otherwise perhaps, but that can only be a good thing.
The recipes I've tried all turn out really well, and the food is so good that the phrase I often hear is, Why can't restaurants serve food like this when it's so easy to do?

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to like tofu!, 5 July 2006
I followed the original Atkins diet and forced myself to eat a limited amount of meat. I still lost 2 stone in 3 months but pined for vegetables and vegetarian food. So it was a revelation to find Ms Elliot's low carb vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients can be found in either the local supermarket or health food shop. They are also inexpensive, unlike all that meat! I must admit that there are quite a few tofu recipes and also there is a reliance on cheese and eggs, which may be difficult for vegans. Tonight I am trying mockaroni, a tofu based version of macaroni. But it if lets me continue to achieve weight loss without the meat I'm willing to learn to love tofu!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet Cookbook, 29 Mar. 2010
G. H. Christmas (Ferwert, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet Cookbook is a companion book to Elliot's The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet. It is exactly what the title implies: a cookbook. It is chock full of great and (for me) easy to make recipes. There are no photos in the book but the directions are crystal clear and easy to follow. All of the ingredients she uses are easily available except for stevia (an artificial sweetener. I have found that you can use other sweeteners instead IF you make sure they can be used for baking. - If this is going to be your initial Low Carb book purchase I would strongly suggest you get The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet first as it clearly explains how the diet works. - If you are looking for a general cookbook I don't think this is what you would want as ALL the recipes are Low-carb and vegetarian ... which, of course, makes it fantastic for Low-carb vegetarians. - If you are a vegan you'll also like this book as the overwhelming majority of the recipes are vegan and those that aren't can easily be adapted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent ideas but a bit heavy on the dairy, 11 Nov. 2012
This is a really good book and I have made quite a few of the recipes successfully already. I am a Diabetic Type 2 so the lo carb approach is necessary for my blood sugar level. The lo carb Granola is tremendous and completely healthy and satisfying - the Asparagus Frittata is now a firm favourite.

I would give this 5 stars but I feel that it is too heavy on the 'dairy' element. I think it is a product of an era when vegetarianism needed to be 'sold' as ' look we can eat deliciously without meat - cover everything with cheese, add a lot of cream or butter..' I think most people accept now that vegetarianism is a fully satisfying way to eat if you want to.

It isn't a deal- breaker because you can tone down the recipes with say, lo-fat oils, reduce the cheese element and cream or just ignore them. Also the sweetener, Stevia, is now widely available in UK supermarkets so you don' t have to get involved in ordering off the web any more as the book advises
Very good book - whatever your reason for being interested.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine I suppose if you can't cook, too basic if you can., 5 July 2012
Rose has produced something helpful here - a veggie guide to low carbing but these recipes are very basic and very dull. There is little in this book that I actually want to cook - she includes a very basic recipe for celery soup (amongst others)- onions, celery, stock and double cream - I don't need a recipe for that or for Greek salad or veg with garlic mayo.....and that's the standard of her recipes, puddings look interesting but i dont share her love of stevia - use it more sparingly than she suggests - the aftertaste can be over powering. Celia Brooks Brown does a much better job, unfortunately her low carb book is out of print.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rose Elliot, The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet Cookbook, 15 Dec. 2009
A. Vipond "a_vipond" (UK) - See all my reviews
At first I thought this cookbook was going to be the answer to my weight loss dreams. It wasn't. I've been an overweight vegetarian for 25 years (I'm 36). I absolutely love cooking food. I thought this book would broaden my horizons and my cooking repertoire and set me on the 'right' path. Instead, I felt very restricted and it felt against my instincts. I also really question whether Rose herself does use these recipes, as they are such a far cry from her traditional wholesome veggie fare.

I do feel Rose Elliot has jumped on the band wagon here. The recipes just didn't feel right. After 25 years of wholesome yummy vegetarian food, the recipes here felt quite alien and restrictive. But that's the low carb diet for you, and from experience, I've decided it's not for me. I tried it and felt terrible.

Essentially, Rose Elliot has 'developed' a vegetarian version of the Atkins diet. I bought this recipe book together with her other book which explains more about the principles and how the diet it supposed to work. I also read the Atkins books from the library. At first, I really enjoyed reading the books. I thought, at last, something totally different to try, which was almost guaranteed to lose excess pounds (you read stories of real people praising the diet and you think, hey, this is fantastic!). Well, I followed the diet for a month. I did the two week carb cleanse to start with. The first few days were tough, the next two not so bad, as it was great to feel really satisfied and not hungry, but the remainder was terrible. I was totally lacking in energy and I had a very upset tummy. The cramps were sometimes so bad, they would wake me at night. I then moved onto phase 1 and still felt I had no energy. It was like my limbs were made of lead, and I could have just fallen asleep every afternoon. Then I needed to go to bed by 9pm! And that was following the book's recipes. I increased the carbs as Rose suggests in her first book, to try to banish the tiredness, but then that seemed to go against the grain of her recipes.

I've heard that low carbing can work wonders for some people, mainly those who have thus far survived on a fairly poor diet of refined 'white' carbs, like white bread, white pasta, etc. But for someone who has had a really wholefood diet (but has just eaten too much and enjoyed too much wine!), the low carb diet just seems like too much unnatural deprivation after a while. I got to the stage I would crave apples!

There are certainly things to learn from Rose's cookbook, but for the most part, I could have just added more protein (tofu!) to my diet and done away with flour and potatoes, added more eggs, and that would have been enough.

I have loved Rose's cookbooks in the past. This one just seems like a sell out.

I am now on the low GI (glycemic indez) diet, and feel loads more energetic!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 11 Nov. 2012
I was expecting an easier program to follow without having to calculate calories and CHs. The problem with this book is that it recommends 3 stages, during the 1st stage only 20 g of CH are allowed, but it does not offer a wide range of recipes suitable for this stage. It uses some ingredients that are unhealthy and gives too much focus on soy and soy products. I also miss pictures from this book, I prefer having good quality pictures next to a recipe.
Not enough recipes for main courses, I do not find the recipes too creative, so in a nutshell not the product I was hoping for...

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple To Make Recipes, 27 July 2010
I found the layout clear and easy to follow. The recipes are divided into sections for drinks, breakfasts, soups, salads, sauces, fried/grilled meals, one-pot meals, pasta-type dishes, bakes, sides, desserts and baking. Most are quite simple to make, but some use a protein powder, which feels a bit strange. I prefer to use tofu, tempeh and other 'real' foods in my cooking. Others use a sweetner (stevia) that is not for sale in the UK, although you can use an alternative.

Some recipes I tried included:-
* the courgette 'crisps', which went down quite well;
* and the curried eggs (which were nice, simple snacks/breakfast dishes);
* the asparagus frittata (I made it with chard instead) was delicious;
* green peppers stuffed with cauliflower cheese were a bit dry - improved with the addition of some cream into the filling;
* I didn't like the spicy tofu (didn't really work very well);
* grilled courgette with halloumi cheese was popular;
* meditarranean tofu scramble was very tasty;
* cream of swede soup was too watery and dull;
* the vegetable curry was bland and definitely needed the addition of more spices.

In summary, the recipes may be a good starting point, but you will probably need to 'tweak' them to suit your taste - I prefer stronger flavours with more herbs and spices. Another book that I bought around the same time has been used far more frequently - 'The Schwarzbein Principle Vegetarian Cookbook'. The recipes in the Schwarbein book can take longer to make, but are generally more flavoursome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 29 May 2014
Mrs. L. Roue "Emekli" (Turkiye) - See all my reviews
I had assumed it was purely veggies and the like and it turns out it requires Quorn and things I cant get here in Turkey, so it has meant I cant cook all the recipes as they are. But I might use TVP in its place :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›