4.0 out of 5 stars I lost two stone!
Published on 26 Sep 2007 by Hil

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but...
Published on 27 Jun 2007 by Zoe King

4.0 out of 5 stars I lost two stone!, 26 Sep 2007
Hil (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet: The fast, no-hunger weightloss diet for vegetarians (Paperback)
Having struggled with ever-increasing weight for several years it was suggested that my problem was carbs - my body seemed to have forgotten how to deal with them normally so they were being stored as fat - eg "Syndrome X". I was sceptical but thought I'd give the diet a try - and chose this book for guidance as I trust Rose Elliot - we had her book "Simply Delicious" way back in the 1970s! Anyway - the results were spectacular - I lost half a stone in about 10 days, and 2 stone in three months. I am not a very imaginative cook, so tend to make the same things over and over, and I am vegan by preference so not everything is possible without dairy, but there are stacks of good ideas. The low carb burgers are fab - and really easy - the jelly is a lifesaver when you want some indulgent comfort food! - and the lasagne using cabage in place of pasta is inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for vegetarians, 18 July 2008
K. Cunliffe (UK) - See all my reviews
I have had this book on my shelves for a couple of years now and unfortunately didnt look at it being more into the low fat way of eating. Ive been vegetarian for approx 20 years and have been putting on weight since a cholecystectomy 12 years ago. The key thing for this diet is that this book has enabled me to diet without feeling hungry - cravings are at a minimum. Weight loss wise the first couple of weeks I lost nearly a stone and loss has been around 2-3 lbs since then. While it requires some form of dedication from the dieter, the author has adapted low carb foods for the vegetarian/vegan diet amazingly well and with great creativity. This has helped me no end. I especially like the rice alternative and when you are needing a sweet treat the almond crunch hits the spot. Brilliant book. I have ordered her low carb cookbook to help extend my repetoire of meals - crossed fingers it will be as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a diet, but a change of eating habits, 8 Oct 2010
Mrs. Donna A. Johnson (Fife) - See all my reviews
I have been a vegetarian for about 4 years and my weight had increased steadily in that time. Reading this book really does make you stop and look at what you are eating, in my case...carbs, sweeties, more carbs and more sweeties.... No wonder I had put on weight.
I only had about one and a half stone to lose, already I have lost 11lbs in 2 months. My husband has lost over 1 stone. The first two weeks are the hardest. Day five you will have a cracker of a headache. Then it will clear. By clear I mean that you will probably feel a sense of clarity and awakeness that you have never felt before. This is your body saying "bye bye" to the toxins.
All food that you intake on this diet is made from scratch, so it forces you to stop having fast food. It forces you to look at what you were eating and realising that sugary carbs are hidden just about everywhere you look.

I can honestly say that I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with: a sweet tooth, or weight issues. Without this book I would undoubtedly still be stuffing my face with sweeties on a daily basis and having carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Two months on, I haven't looked back and don't crave for sweet foods or carbs anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest, best diet ever, 22 Jan 2011
I've been buying books on Amazon for many years but have never felt the need to review one until now. That's because this book has changed my life and the way I eat. I've been on this diet for about a month now and have lost about three quarters of a stone already, and the funny thing is, I don't even feel like I'm dieting.

The recipes in this book are simply delicious. The low-carb bread (the one made with yeast) is amazing and worth the price of the book alone. Also great are the cauliflower cheese, the almond crackers, the tofu in a mushroom cream sauce, the peanut butter shake and so many others. Oh, and the pizza recipe is to die for - even though you might think the recipe won't work, I promise it will!

It's very easy to follow this low carb diet if you're a vegetarian with the help of this book, and it's well worth giving it a try. I tried low-fat and suffered for ages and none of the weight shifted. Now I almost feel like I'm cheating as I'm enjoying my food so much, but the weight keeps sliding off.

A friend of mine is vegan and when she heard me saying how great this book is, she decided to get a copy and give it a try as well. She's loving the diet too, and has also been losing weight. Most of the recipes have vegan alternatives (such as a vegan fritatta for breakfast made with tofu instead of eggs and loads of vegetables).

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but..., 27 Jun 2007
Zoe King (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
I've found this book useful in that it has introduced me to a new way of eating, but the recipes are somewhat limited in that there's rather too much emphasis on tofu and goat's cheese, neither of which I can eat. Also, the indexing hasn't been done very efficiently which often means that looking for a recipe involves hunting through the book rather than simply going to the index.

The author claims that appetite dimishes after a couple of weeks but I haven't found that, and in fact I've found that when I feel hunger, it comes on very suddenly and can make me feel decidedly unwell, not something I've experienced before.

I am losing weight, slowly, which is as it should be, but whether I'll stick with this book for much longer is open to question.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for a vegetarian low carb diet book!, 26 April 2009
It was such a relief to find that Rose Elliot has written a low carb diet book aimed at vegetarians. I first started low-carbing a number of years ago when there were basically no books or decent information aimed at veggies. And it is my experience that a vegetarian diet tends to be far higher in carbs that the average meat eater's diet - especially when low-fat dieting, which can lead to all kinds of problems, and no matter how much fruit and veg you eat it is still not 'balanced' because of the lack of a decent amount of protein.

However, although I have scored this book highly, I would say that to me it seems rather weak on the science of low-carb dieting. Of course Ms Elliot does not claim to be a doctor or a scientist, and I am not critising her for anything she has written, but if you want to know more about why a low carb diet works and why it is actually brilliant at correcting all kinds of metabollic disorders related to high insulin levels and a life time of overeating sugar and other carbohydrates, there are better books out there.

That said, this book outlines the approach clearly, and is more or less a veggie version of the famous low-carb diets out there. A word of caution about low carbing - With any low carb diet you tend to feel slightly tired or even a bit under the weather for a few days. This is not because the diet is unhealthy - but because it takes your body a couple of days to adjust. All the enzymes and what-have-you in your own body chemistry are set up to deal with the high-carb way you have been eating. Give it a few days. And don't cheat. Eat more veggies if you feel you've taken your carbs too low - not something full of refined carbs.

You'll feel so much better. And it really works!

3.0 out of 5 stars mainly for tofu lovers, 9 Jun 2009
I did wonder how anyone would manage to put together a low-carb veggie cook book and the answer seems to be by using tofu, tofu and more tofu. As someone who has come to look on tofu as poison (but that's a whole other story), there were a lot of recipes I can't eat. However, Rosemary does have some great bread, cake and cookie recipes which justified the price even for me. Her instant microwave bread recipe made primarily with ground almonds and eggs can be made in less than 5 minutes from start to finish, tastes great and is gluten free to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth persuing . . ., 22 May 2011
I tried this diet in the new year in an effort to get rid of those Xmas excess pounds and also the all year round excess pounds I'd managed to gain with seemingly little effort. The first two weeks were hard, I experienced the headaches and the weakness, didn't get the euphoric state of mind at any point and by the end of the 2nd week rewarded myself with some 'proper' food and continued in the same vein!! I did loose 10lb the first week but nothing in the second week. But was happy with the 10lb loss altogether.

But I vowed to find another diet.

However, this diet kept popping in my mind that maybe it wasn't so bad after all. I'd enjoyed the recipes I'd tried, loved the home-made mayonnaise and actually enjoyed the nut roast (not something I'd eaten before). I'd not felt hungry once (maybe I was too busy concentrating on my aching head!!). I decided to give it another try.

I've just completed the first 2 weeks of the carb cleanse and found it remarkably easy second time round. I got myself organised and spent a Sunday afternoon making spinach bread, mushroom frittata, coconut sauce, tomato soup (grated the cheese to add to the soup later) and nut loaf. I also hard boiled a batch of eggs to have handy in the fridge. All this prep really did make all the difference. My fridge and freezer were full. I've really enjoyed the diet this time, haven't felt hungry once, had a slight headache around day 3 or 4 but two paracetamols sorted that out, felt much more energised, and best of all lost 9lb the first week, and 3lb the second. I'm aiming to loose 2 stones altogether so I'm almost half way there already!! I'll continue on the carb cleanse for a few more weeks as I don't feel any need to up my carb intake at this time - I'm certainly not expecting to loose weight at the initial weight loss rate!!

I think it has helped that as well as all the recipes I'd prepared I also tried other ones too: the little egg custards certainly hit the spot one evening when I needed something sweet, the runner bean spaghetti with pesto is so delicious and filling it will always be part of my diet no matter what, the spinach and cream cheese gratin is gorgeous, and the cheesy portobello 'steaks' are just delicious. I've added in a portion of tofu to my meals whenever I've felt a bit more protein was needed (and only for 1g of carbs). None of the recipes I tried take very long to prepare and/or cook.

I may not stay on this 'diet' forever, but I shall certainly be using it to maintain my weight once I reach my goal weight - as part of the 6 secrets of staying slim forever!! I'd definately recommend this diet to anyone serious about loosing weight and is vegetarian or semi-vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 18 Nov 2008
Nick Tann "Nick Tann" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great diet and a great book.
I've been on it for 5 weeks and have lost a stone.
Follow the recipes and don't cheat and so will you.

4.0 out of 5 stars This really works, 10 July 2012
I bought this book because I wanted to cut down on carbs but didn't know what to eat as most low carb diets include lots of meat. I did the 2 week carb cleanse, although I didn't stick to it rigidly and I found the recipes really easy and quick to make as well as being really tasty. The no-hunger statement is true, after the first few days I didn't feel hungry at all. I lost 3lbs after the first 2 weeks. This might not sound a lot but I only needed to lose 5lbs. My only criticism of the book is that there are no pictures for the recipes but all the information you need is in the book. I will never eat bread again and I've learned how to subsitute carbs in my meals.

8.18