4.0 out of 5 stars Cynicism is Pointless!, 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
British book-readers usually carry with them a little of the national cynicism that sniffs at the reams of American-style self-help books and blows its nose at them.
What's the point? At least if you read the book you will think more than if you sit and be cynical about it.
Susan Jeffers is a trained and widely experienced psychologist and, in this book, examines issues surrounding the modern confusion that many women feel in their relationships with men; - the sort of things that make some women feel lonely and lost without men but also complain that there aren't any good men anyway.
You may hold very strong opinions about men but not feel that they are strong because you only bring these issues up when you're having a good chat with your friends. But if you hold those opinions over a cup of coffee how can you expect them to change when you have to go have dinner with your date / boyfriend / husband?
Jeffers examines issues such as these without demanding that the reader agrees with everything she writes. I suggest you try it. Even if you do cover up the the book title with your jumper on the bus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Opening Our Hearts To Men: Taking charge of our lives and creating a love that works (Paperback)
Interesting stance on relationships. Helps women to identify their anger and to realise that relationships are not necessarily about conflict. A good section on men describing thier points of views within relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for every woman who's not 100% happy, 7 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This is a really wonderful book which will contribute much to improving the relationships of those who read it and put it into practice. Thank you, Susan Jeffers, for another terrific book.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 10 Nov 2013
very good pieces of advice, very heartful, useful, interesting to read; helps you become a better person and see where you need to 'improve' your own life

4.0 out of 5 stars Changing ways, 6 Aug 2013
Susan Jeffers shows a good way of approaching situations in a different perspective, very helpful and all round happier. The author is very jolly in her writing and it is a very easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening our hearts, 27 Jun 2010
This is another excellent book by Susan Jeffers. I read feel the fear and do it anyway, which has become my bible and this is another helpful book for those out there who find relationships difficult

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening our Minds is a better title...maybe, 29 Jan 2010
Mrs. A. D. Caird "Annie Caird" (UK born US) - See all my reviews
I found this book in a friend's bookshelves and poo-poohed it roundly...for awhile and then, decided maybe I needed to read it. Why? Well, hard to say except that even the title seemed to put me off a bit, opening our hearts to men? When all they seemed to do when I/we did/do that is to break ours? Not bloody likely, I thought and yet, I know that men aren't the enemy. I am a woman of a certain age, grew up slightly after/during the heyday of the women's lib movement in the US but I also have sons, now beautiful young men. This book is gorgeous. It made/makes me think about how angry I have been at men or things that they seem to represent; it also made me feel more compassionate about how men feel. The Women's Lib movement was/is a great thing except that when they/we decided what we wanted/needed, we failed to share that with our men. We failed to tell them what we wanted them to do, need them to do. This book doesn't exactly do that but it does tell us how we can do that.
Susan Jeffers is a very gifted woman. I have recommended her books to various friends, all of whom have told me how grateful they are to have had them.
Annie Caird 29/1/10