5.0 out of 5 stars the best diet ever
Published on 19 Sep 2006 by pomkiwi

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but
Good recipes, well laid out and what appears to be clear GL info. However though I am losing weight some of the recipes give me blood sugar highs so, as a diet controlled diabetic, I am uneasy now about using them without recourse to other sources of Gl/GI info.
Published on 11 Jun 2010 by Rambling Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars the best diet ever, 19 Sep 2006
This review is from: The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy (Paperback)
I have tried all modern diets and this is the only one which I have been able to maintain. The recipes are so delicious, I have little doubt that I will eat this way for the rest of my life. I have lost so far 20lb (9kg) after 2.5 months, have better skin, much energy and I never feel hungry due to the way this diet balances out blood sugar levels. My kids eat most of the recipes and even enjoy quinoa and brown rice. The time to plan shop and prepare does get quicker the more you practice especially as now I have memorised my favourite recipes and can whip them up in no time. I think it is a practical, easy and above all healthy way to eat in our modern times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple & delicious recipes, 7 Nov 2006
Alexandra Ellard (Sutton Coldfield, England) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic. I bought it because I had his nutrition bible and valued his judgement on good healthy food. When I first got it I was disappointed because it didn't have any pictures but I then sat down and started to read the recipes and they are lovely. I haven't touched the meat section because my husband doesn't eat meat but we've done pretty much all the vegetarian meals and the fish dishes and the side dishes are yummie. I've only given it 4 stars though because I think to make it 5 stars it would need to do the following: Have pictures so you can see what you're making and secondly section the recipes so you know what is in season. I know these days you can pretty much get anything you want in the shops whether it's in season or not but with sustainability becoming a bigger issue then I think it's important to buy food that's in season and as local as possible. They would be my only criticisms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy & quick recipes, 16 Feb 2006
By A Customer
An excellent book. Easy to follow, delicious recpies, even if you are not a great or keen cook. I actually cook a meal when I get home from work now as opposed to some supermarket rubbish ready meal. Weight loss going very well, so pleased I bought the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Simple and Yummy!, 7 Mar 2007
I love recipe books, food, cooking and entertaining! However, I need to loose weight and was recommended to this programme by my lovely nutritionist. Hence, the purchase of this book, with a heavy heart expecting boring bunny food....

I was immediately impressed on recipet of the book. The cover is attractive, the book is well and logically layed out, its bright and cheery and written very well.

There is a good introduction on the theory of the diet as well as cooking methods, shopping, what to have in your fridge etc.

The recipes are lovely! I have to be careful with wheat and dairy so was concerned that I would be scabbling for usable recipes. Not so! Most recipes have none of the above, or offer alternates.

The recipes themselves are excellent. Very easy to follow for a cook of any level. Each recipe has suggested serving ideas with it as well as allergy advice, portion size and advice on using the recipe during the 'maintainance' phase. Very well thought out.

My only mild disapointment is that there are so very few pictures of the food... It is very obvious what the dish will look like when you read the recipe, but dont we all love pictures! None the less, I've barely read the book through and it already has 'kitchen marks' on it! I can see this becoming a much used, stained and cherished volume.

Add it to your collection now! Not only will you enjoy the fabulous recipes, but you'll be a whole lot healthier for it too!I've lose 5 lb in a week and eaten lots of wonderful,yummy food while doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food has never been this good even on a diet, 25 Nov 2005
By A Customer
Good advice, good food and a sensible way of losing weight.
My wife has tried some of these recipes in the last weeks and they are really great. They are easy to make and the natural flavours of the food are fantastic. My wife's favourite is the breakfast muesli. The menu planners are easy to follow and have allowed us to plan well in advance using the guidelines suggested by Patrick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A way of eating you can adopt forever!, 29 Mar 2009
L. Hulme (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book really is fantastic. My boyfriend and I wanted to change the way we were eating, and hopefully lose some weight and Patrick Holford's low-GL diet seemed like the most sensible and least faddy of all diets.

What makes this book so brilliant is the quality of the recipes - I actually want to eat all of these meals, diet or no diet. The food is so delicious and easy to prepare I see this very much as a diet for life.
The home made pestos are my particular favourite ;)

The most important thing to take into account is, you must be willing to prepare pretty much all of your meals from scratch (you can make larger quantities of things like Muesli though). This diet also encourages you to try new things that you never though you would have liked, so be prepared to eat different foods. Also, there are no photos of the recipes in this book, which some may find off-putting.

I've lost 11lbs so far in just under 2 months, and my boyfriend has lost a stone. We're convinced the weight will stay off because after eating the recipes from this book we feel satisfied, energetic and healthy. I've weaned myself off sugar and caffeine, and eat smaller portions too - yet feel fuller for longer.

It's a great book if you want to completely change the way you eat, and ultimately the way you look and feel inside and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works!, 20 Feb 2006
As a nutritionist I am delighted to find a diet/cookbook to recommend to my clients that I know is full of delicious and easy to follow recipes that will result in safe, effective weight loss. All of my clients that I have recommended this to, and who have stuck to it, have successfully lost weight and found it easy. There are no cravings or hunger pangs commonly found with other diets, it is a very nutritionally balanced plan, but then what else would you expect from Patrick Holford!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 5 Feb 2006
N. Morris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The two most important things about this diet is that it works and it makes you feel great. the food looks good, tastes good and is easy and very quick to make. If the truth be known this doesn't feel like a diet at all - it just seems like good healthy eating with some useful facts on glycemic load to take the guess work out of it. I have been follwoing this for a month now and have lost 10lbs. The best thing is i never feel hungry and I have so much energy! The weight loss does start slowly - I only lost a lb in the first week but it is now so effective that I am consciously having to up my food intake to maintain my current weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, 15 Aug 2009
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend and haven't looked back. Having spent years doing Weight Watchers (losing weight/putting it back on again/losing weight again etc) low GL just seemed to make sense to me. I have always had my doubts about low fat diets as I think some fats are good for you and GL supports this. The recipes are delicious and the ingredients can be bought in most supermarkets (although I did have to go to a health shop to buy the xylitol). My family are enjoying them too (there's no way I'm cooking separate meals for them!). The recipe for muesli is delicious and I will be making it up in bulk to save time in the morning. Definitely buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the diet! What a brilliant recipe book!, 29 Jan 2008
Diet books are frequently strange mixtures of science (or pseudo-science), elaborate plans and suggestions, and then some recipes. The three aspects often sit together most uncomfortably, but this book is an exception.

Firstly, the book is beautifully presented, and a joy to browse through whether you want to diet or not: just enough illustrations to make it charming, just enough colour variations on the pages to be stimulating, but nothing in excess. The text size and the layout are perfect for everyday use. One knows exactly where everything is after trying a couple of recipes.

All this just enhances the excellent recipes. The lady who devised these deserves an award. They are clear, simple, taste wonderful, and pretty well do the work of dieting for you. I have been using the book for a couple of weeks and scarely think of GL points scores or all the other theory - though that is there at the start of the book, and indeed at the start of each recipe. Just keep using the recipes and invest your extra energy in more exercise.

The key question, of course, is: does the diet work? Well, it appears to be doing so at the moment, but even if it doesn't in the long term,the recipes have given me renewed energy and have temporarily put a step to my chocoholism.

Good luck - but better still: 'Bon appetit!'

The 'Low-GL' Diet Cookbook: Easy, recipes for weight loss, health and energy