Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 December 2013
such a brilliant book. made a lot of sense and found myself agreeing and found that i was doing some of the things the book said. best to read the book after 3-6 months of having a baby.
on 23 April 2013
read this book. However you are parenting your children this book shows you you are doing it "right". A beautiful, reassuring read that I would recommend for all new mammas.
on 25 February 2015
I don't normally write reviews but this book should be on every new mothers reading list. It is more about the psychology of motherhood than any a prescriptive list of how to care for your child but it gives you confidence to develop your own parenting and reassurance that you are going through the same thing as other parents. I found the many quotes from mothers particularly inspiring and some moved me to tears.
on 8 May 2015
My favourite gift for my expectant mummy friends. Beautifully written and supportive. I found it a godsend in the early days of parenting as it is so reassuring.
on 28 August 2015
This book is awesome! I have so many good things to say about it. Simple but reassuring.
on 6 October 2014
A profoundly moving book, which enabled me (a midwife) to appreciate far more deeply the importance of a mother's full availability to her baby.
on 15 August 2011
A really fascinating book for the psychologically-minded mum, dad or anyone interested in the early months and years of caring for a baby.
on 11 March 2010
A gift to strung out mothers having to answer to themselves and possibly their husbands why that is so.
The books left me with an overwhelming feeling of peace over the things that I have done and do as a mother with no regrets over that those are not commonly seen as work. After the reading one realizes that is so because anyone who is not a mother themselves does not know what that work entails. And rather than being unspecific waffle, as the title might suggest, (I would not have bought it, had it not been recommended by La Leche League, I would not have continued reading it had it not soon convinced me of its quality and necessity, helping me to answer precisely what I was hoping to know: What IS being a mother and is my being a mother okay.) the book can base itself on the intense work over decades of a breastfeeding councellor, who has spoken with hundreds of mothers about their daily work. A book that gives me the "excuse" to do exactly what I feel I should be doing and not feeling bad for it because it sounds like nothing to someone who is not a mother. A book that has also helped me to improve on my mothering by giving me an intense positive feeling during the most diffcult times of looking after an infant.
on 3 November 2012
Fantastic book - highly recommended! I found myself nodding along with it and sharing bits of it with all my friends.
on 20 February 2007
This book is a real self esteem boost for mothers everywhere. It is wonderfully reassuring and puts into words so many of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that go through mothers heads but that seem impossible to communicate/explain to others-we are not all mad!! I do agree with a previous reviewer that although the author is unbiased, you do sense her views and opinions on various subjects. For example, she clearly believes that leaving your baby to cry for any length of time, even as a last resort when nothing else will settle them to sleep, is cruel.

Obviously, in an ideal world no one would leave a baby crying, but speaking from personal experience (a mother of a very hungry baby who virtually cried all through the night for the first 3 months) sometimes leaving them for a while is the only thing you can do-it becomes a survival issue, it is not cruelty.

On the whole though the meassages are all positive and it is definately a book worth reading if you have had a baby.