4.0 out of 5 stars great info
Great info, well written, in a nice, clear, easy to read format.

If I had one complaint it's that they assume that you have the money to spend on getting tested for intolerances, which at over 250 quid is, for me at least, prohibitively expensive.

Published on 29 Mar. 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very Expensive Advert
Published on 18 Mar. 2013 by florence wheeler

4.0 out of 5 stars great info, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Hidden Food Allergies: Is what you eat making you ill? (Paperback)
Great info, well written, in a nice, clear, easy to read format.

Because they make that assumption and don't account for using, or give any real information about, an elimination diet, I found the useful information ended quite abruptly with no real way forward for me. I've had to get another book to research how to find out intolerances by elimination.

The irony for me is that of being too ill to work and therefore too poor to afford the things that might actually help me get better. However I would highly recommend this book to people who can afford to get tested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info, 28 Jan. 2012
Jodi-Hummingbird - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book provides good information about how prevalent hidden food allergies are and how to identify them in order to improve your overall health.

This book explains that:

- The major cause of IgG allergies is a leaky gut
- Your immune system can unlearn IgG food allergies
- Once you've had the food allergy tests done, avoid those foods for 3 - 6 months
- To help heal the gut, the following can be helpful: Vitamin A, the B vitamins, zinc, selenium, glutamine and enzymes
- Butyric/caprylic acid can help heal the gut wall
- Once you've avoided problematic foods for 3 months, add them back slowly and use a 4 day rotation diet
- Trial new foods for 3 days
- Trial one new food a week and no more

For information on how to heal a leaky gut I would recommend the book No More Heartburn: Stop the Pain in 30 Days--Naturally! : The Safe, Effective Way to Prevent and Heal Chronic Gastrointestinal Disorders.

Most or even all of the information in this book, and information on many other health topics besides, is also contained in Patrick Holford's other book The New Optimum Nutrition Bible and so that book may be a better value choice than this one, depending on your needs.

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 28 Jan. 2013
The book is a hidden gem because it tells you how to find the foods you are allergic to and what to do about it. There are many health benefits in doing this.

Like Chickybiker I thought that the allergy test was expensive and I initially didn't have the test. However I did the The 9-Day Liver Detox: The definitive detox diet that delivers results before Christmas and afterwards I was pretty certain that I had a yeast allergy so I wanted to have the test to know for sure. Anyway I found that I did infact have a yeast allergy but the test also highlighted four other foods that were in fact hidden allergies at level 1 and one food at level 3 together with two other borderline allergies. Now to find these out without the test would have been really difficult and would have taken a really long time. I have now eliminated the food with the level three allergy and all the hidden allergies except one where I have only partially eliminated.

It has been about 4-5 days since I have started eliminating the foods I'm allergic too and I have noticed a partial improvement. My sinuses are starting to clear at nighttime and I think that my shape is starting to improve as well.

Concerning the actual book - it is easy to read and well laid out. The only improvement I could suggest is that the avoidance/reintroduction test for allergies (p192 the LOW-GL DIET BIBLE) is included in the hidden food allergies book as I find this helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very Expensive Advert, 18 Mar. 2013
Made the mistake of going to an actual real-life bookshop where I paid the r.r.p. for this book. If you get a second hand cheap copy then yes, it's worth it, for the information on how to deal with allergies once you know what they are - however, and this is a pretty massive however - the only possible option they give you for finding out what your allergies are in the first place is to send off for a phenomenally expensive blood test (no mention in the book of how much it might cost). Add to that the recommendations for the nine separate nutritional supplements you ought to be taking to relieve your allergies (all of which can be bought from the authors website), and you have yourself a recipe for a very out-of-pocket allergy sufferer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff, but will make you start to question if food is causing all your ailments, 15 Jan. 2012
This is a really interesting book. As someone who's suffered with food intolerances for years, I discovered a lot I didn't know, and have upped my supplement intake following suggestions in the book.

The only word of caution I'd add is that it does attribute a significant amount of ailments to food intolerances - it has the potential to start making you think that everyone you know might have a food intolerance!

That said, the advice given is spot-on, so I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 19 Jun. 2014
Doobrey "lucy" (South West England) - See all my reviews
Interesting book, I read it from cover to cover straight off. It covers most food intolerances & is clearly written & will be a handy reference tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars must read, 7 Oct. 2013
Really recommended. Very few people realise how many allergens hide in foods we eat every day, especially wheat and diary.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know, 18 Aug. 2013
Covers all the angles and answers all the questions about allergies and related subjects. Read and learn. It can change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Jan. 2015
great

5.0 out of 5 stars Food Allergy, 29 Jun. 2009
Ceal "Ceal" (London England) - See all my reviews
If you are under the weather in any way, your GP can't help, read this book.

Hidden Food Allergies: Is what you eat making you ill?
Hidden Food Allergies: Is what you eat making you ill? by Dr James Braly (Paperback - 12 Jan. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01