on 12 September 2005
Get a copy of this book and keep it close to hand. Teenagers can driver you crazy so you need to keep a level head and an even temper. I found Whatever was a great help in seeing through the frustration and reminding me to respect my kids perspective. Trust me it will help!
on 5 February 2007
For sensible and clearly set-out advice, there simply is not a better book aimed at parents of teenagers. But what I liked most about it was that it doesn't just TELL you what to do - it encourages you to think through why a particular situation has arisen, and to choose good solutions which will work for you and your teenager. Alison Baverstock and Gill Hines do a great job of helping parents decipher what a teenager may be thinking when behaving in a particular way. It is utterly reassuring - anything your teenager is doing is not your fault, but there are things you CAN do to help. Confident and happy teenagers are the very likely result of this book.
on 13 April 2006
This is a brilliant book. The chapters deal with all the main issues to do with parenting teenagers but the approach is completely down to earth and honest. Each chapter starts with a discussion of the main things to think about, but then there are little exercises to help us parents remember how it felt to be a teenager. But the best thing of all is the question and answer section. About half of every chapter consists of questions I would like to know the answers to, and really practical ways of dealing with them. Some have happened to me already, others I expect may come, but the practical and down to earth advice on offer was immensely reassuring. I can't recommend this book highly enough, thank you Gill and Alison.
on 5 October 2005
This book has very much become the domestic bible by which my family and I now live. I picked up a copy in Waterstones on the high street a few weeks ago, since when i have forced my wife into reading it, and have read it twice myself.
Alison Baverstock and Gill Hines have answers to every domestic problem that is likely to occur with your little darlings. What with hectic Edinburgh city life im ashamed to say my children have been rather neglected of late, and 'Whatever' has certainly given me more time with my family and we are happier for it.
I recently saw Alison Baverstock speak at the Edinburgh Book Festival about her book and i learned she has four children of her own, two of whom are teenagers! I cant say i envy them having a book written all about them but im sure theyre really very proud.
Buy this book and act on it if you want your home life to improve! Enjoy!
on 13 September 2005
If you feel you are alone with wayward teenagers or just can't seem to get through, then get yourself a copy of this brilliant book. The advice is sencible and down to earth and full of practcal sugestions.
Keep your kids as friends and save yourself from reaching for the gin bottle!
on 25 October 2008
I found this book to be easy reading, essential if I was to get to the back page as the time I have for reading is limited and disjointed. I was able to pick it up and put it down again which was great. I found myself identifying with situations and taking on board the tactics suggested, so I believe I have learnt from it. It is also reassuring to know that other families have the same frustrations and difficulties. By reading this book, you almost feel like you have joined the 'Parents of Teenagers Club'. For me, knowing that the ups and downs of having a teenage family are felt by others was probably as important as learning how to deal with a situation next time it arises. The book is written in a light-hearted, entertaining way and I highly recommend it, though it's probably worth reading it before the kids reach those magic teenage years as forewarned is forearmed!
on 23 September 2005
Even the chapter headings are great, and address all the big issues. Contains real wisdom and insight rather than psyco-speak. I feel I know much better what's in my teenager's head and hormones, and how he regards me.
on 29 October 2007
I am really surprised by the previous two reviews as I found it invaluable. Really down to earth, practical advice that was delivered with good humour and common sense. If one of the authors is running parenting classes that are being well attended she must be doing something right, and judging by the sound advice in this book I think she is! I particularly liked the chapters on clothes and sex which I found particularly useful for discussing with my 17 year old daughter. I also liked the question and answer sessions that were easy to read - a really inventive idea that keeps you reading. We left it lying around for everyone to read, and as a result have found we have better discussions with our teenagers.
on 11 April 2006
This is a wonderful book - wise, well-written, informed and informative. I particularly like the way it helps you get out of the rut of nagging your teenager by helping you to think about your own experience as a teenager. The problem, though, is that if you lend it to your fellow parent, as I did, you won't see it again! Great read - just don't part with it, is all...!
on 12 March 2009
This is the most practically helpful, clear and sensible guide to parenting teenagers that I have ever read - and I have read a few. It's not annoyingly humorous - though it has a sense of humour! - it's not overly prescriptive, rather helping you to find your own way. Above all, everything in it felt instantly recognizable and relevant to our family. Whether, like us, you are currently struggling with a troubled teenager and desperately need aid and comfort, or you would like to prepare for the future, I thoroughly recommend this book.