5.0 out of 5 stars growth point for any of us
Published on 16 Mar 2010 by cerrig

3.0 out of 5 stars mindfully review text
This book explains mindfulness very simply and clearly but what I really found annoying was the number of words that were missing from the text throughout the book and I had to fill in the blanks for myself (at least on 20 occasions). Maybe a more "mindful" review of the text to check for errors would have been more appropriate.
Published on 31 Aug 2010 by ana

5.0 out of 5 stars growth point for any of us, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday life (Paperback)
This man's work seems to me to be one of those growth points in human culture that don't crop up too often. He's making enormously beneficial mind-training techniques available to ordinary western(ised) people, without the cultural and religious associations of their origins, which can be very challenging for most of us. I mean, you don't have to be a Zen master to benefit from this!
What I like about his approach is that it is so simple and down-to-earth. It's not "alternative," it's here-and-now, everyday, (yet demanding.)
Seems to me if more westerners used his insights and techniques, not only would they feel better about themselves and their lives (I do, already)but the planet might be a safer place to live. Maybe that's pitching it a bit high - but give it a shot and see if you agree.
The book is beautifully lucid. I think most of us need some other additional regular guidance and structure to make mindfulness part of our everyday - well, I do, anyway - but more courses are springing up, and no doubt the CDs help.
But it's not a magic bullet - it takes time and application, and in a funny way, it's quite hard work. And I think it's worth getting into it even if you are not depressed or in pain, ahead of the times when you have to face suffering, yours or someone else's - because it adds so much to ordinary life.
It has taught me to question and adapt or change some of my characteristic responses - or at least to start doing so - and that's not always comfortable. But it really is worth it.
If you're a sceptical rationalist like me, be reassured - this man isn't a freaky guru, he's a trained scientist, a genuine teacher. This isn't a cult. It won't claim to change your life in a flash. But if you give it a chance - it really will help, with a lot of - "stuff." And it can actually be very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An oasis in a turbulent world, 19 July 2002
Dr. (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A wonderful and practical book. Merely reading it brings a sense of calm and takes one away from the troubles of daily life. Puts everything into perspective. Should be a must for every one, the world would be a better place if it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, secular guide to Being Here Now, 18 Sep 1996
By A Customer
If you have ever wondered about meditaion and its possible
benefits to your hectic life, but have been put off
by its mystical, religious or paranormal associations
in the popular culture, author Jon Kabat-Zin offers a
gentle, secular introduction to the art of Being Here Now.
"Now" is the present moment in which, with mindfulness, we
can act with volition and not automaticity; to not simply
react robotically, but break the cause-and-effect chain of
external and internal stimuli. "Now" is where we can become
authentically ourselves, and marshal our full potential.
But focusing in the "Now", being aware without reacting,
without abstractly analyzing, takes practice. Kabat-Zin
shows us how to find our "Now" in the sensation of our
breathing, either during meditation practice or in a
mindful pause just before a meal. Then he shows us how
to carry mindfulnes into the activity of our daily lives,
so that we may find ourselves naturally proceding along
"The Way". Throughout, Kabat-Zin's narrative and personal
references are totally credible, evoking a surprisingly
accessible intimacy with the reader. You will enjoy and
benefit from this book even if you never sit on a pillow
to meditate, but you will gain even more if you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation For Dummies, 8 July 2004
By A Customer
For anyone wishing to start meditating and practicing mindfulness this book is all you need. It's full snippets of wisdom from other authors, and practical exercises to get you started. An excellent guide for us non-spiritual westerners.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to reread whenever life becomes overwhelming., 29 Dec 1998
By A Customer
When the going gets tough, I keep this book at my table to read a few pages at breakfast every morning. A great help in focusing on the truly important things when overwhelmed by life. A positive way to start even the most difficult day. This book earned a permanent place on my bookshelf - and it will never gather dust there for long!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book to read for stress, 16 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This book can teach you how to meditate but that's not the point. More importantly, while reading this book, you ARE meditating. You can be stressed, distracted, emotionally raw, fearful, and overwhelmed by the demons of life and simply reading from this book will ease your mind and bring reality back into focus...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation For Everyday Life., 12 Mar 2010
S. Moreton "Scott Moreton" (Hampshire,England) - See all my reviews
I have had experience of this type of meditation before I read the book. The book does really live up to the practice of Mindfulness meditation,and now I want to read more about it.
The author (Jon Kabat-Zinn)really de-constructs complicated ideas, both Buddist and philiphisophical. But still makes it interesting for people at different stages, along the way of meditation.
I'd recommend this book for anyone involved in Mental Health (client , worker/professional and carers)

4.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the box!, 8 Oct 2009
An excellent book that tells you in a very simple and direct way, how and why to mediate, without making you feel superior to anyone. It preaches humility in thought word and deed, does not say that it will be easy, but gives you good reasons to keep trying. Its a book that I will be referring to for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable asset, 24 July 2012
I bought this book after having carefully weighed the various reviews, but with the intention of making my own mind up once I'd read it.

I've now read it - and I am seriously impressed. It is extremely well written, in an easy-to-read style that does not assume special skill on the part of the reader, and (most importantly) does not make the newcomer feel inadequate. The "Try" exercises, too, give superb pointers to simple ways of introducing mindfulness into everyday life.

I feel that this book will continue to inspire and motivate me.

4.0 out of 5 stars wherever you go........, 22 Sep 2010
A very good introduction to the field from a master. Whets the appetite for knowing more and a couple of JK-Zinn's audio books are a good follow up and give more detail abou tthe practice of this form of meditation. This book could change your life - or some of it at least!

Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday life