4.0 out of 5 stars Read when planning not pregnant
Highly informative and authorative Bible on the required nutrients for a healthy baby. Is fully backed up with research papers and scientific results and contains advice on everything from how to maximise your fertility to boosting your offspring's IQ.
Published on 15 Dec 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I have bought this book as I wanted to make sure I was in tip-top shape before attempting to conceive.

Published on 11 May 2010 by Rumplestaleskin

4.0 out of 5 stars Read when planning not pregnant, 15 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Optimum Nutrition Before, During And After Pregnancy: The definitive guide to having a healthy pregnancy: Everything You Need to Achieve Optimum Well-being (Paperback)
I made the mistake of reading it when I was already pregnant and, although I've always considered my diet pretty healthy, was consumed by guilt at how I'd failed my baby already. Still, at least I'll know for next time! And Patrick Holden does assure readers that if any problem does develop (with either yourself or your baby), every situation can be bettered considerably with optimum nutrition. So all is not lost!
A great sourcebook - but just read it several months before you decide to conceive so you can enjoy a healthy as well as guilt-free pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit biased towards supplements rather than food., 15 Nov 2004
By A Customer
Good book, packed full of useful facts about nutrition and "anti-nutrients".
Quite complex to read though, and certainly doesn't claim to provide a 'nutritional prescription'. Excellent reference material, but you really need to read the whole book cover to cover to find the relevant bits of info and bookmark them.
At first, the book seems to condemn such a lot of "toxic" foods and environments that you could be forgiven if you ended up terrified of eating ANYTHING or going ANYWHERE in case you were damaging your unborn (and even yet to be conceived) child!
You really need to dilute it with a bit of real-life practicality and make use of the bits that work for you. It's worth remembering that Yes, it's good to do the best you can, but millions of women have given birth to perfectly healthy, happy and intelligent babies, while still enjoying the odd cuppa or having to work in a smog-filled city. Don't let it scare you into starving yourself!
The bottom line, pregnant or not, is try to get some of ALL the vitamins, give yourself a zinc boost, and you won't go far wrong. You won't get a magic list of special vitamins from any book - we need a little of everything for optimum nutrition.
On the whole I'd highly recommend this book as I think it's always good to be informed, but for anyone who's looking for more of a quick overview of what fruit & veg they should be eating during pregnancy, this book isn't what you're looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic eye-opener, 13 Nov 2006
MrsF (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book puts to bed all the myths to do with conception and childbirth ranging from "people have been having healthy babies without this information for centuries" to the current RDA information based on ancient research. This book provides a healthy eating plan that not only is aimed at getting you pregnant when you want to be but also a problem free labour, a healthier child and even what nutrients to get to prevent stretch marks. It recognizes the fact that because of increased pollution, stressful lifestyles, etc. food itself is no longer sufficient on its own to provide us with the nutrients we need and promotes the need for using supplements as a booster. I believe its no coincidence that "healthy" kids suffer conditions like asthma and behavior problems more than ever before while we live in a polluted environment (not just with pesticides in the atmosphere but also air fresheners, etc.) and consume more processed food full of additives and preservatives than our ancestors. I have read this book in preparation for my first baby and having previously followed Patrick Holford's Optimum Nutrition plan for a year after being diagnosed with food intolerances, I have decided to follow his advice knowing that while I can do nothing about unknown quantities (nor would I want to!), I can certainly do everything physically possible to give my child the best start in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must if you care about having a healthy pregnancy and baby!, 6 Oct 2010
I bought this book before we conceived as I wanted to ensure that my husband and I were doing everything possible that we could to 1. conceive a healthy baby 2. have a healthy pregnancy 3. ensure my nutritional intake was optimum during pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding 4. that we were informed about food choices once our baby was at weaning stage.

This book is clear and concise - it's laid out brillantly. Our baby is almost 9 months old, I'm still breastfeeding (and supplementing) and our baby is really healthy and thriving. I've referred to this book so many times that it's home is on the shelf in our kitchen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, 25 Feb 2009
M. Fung "Meg" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Packed full of solid nutritional advice and guidelines of which supplements to take. The only downside is, the guidelines are so precise and detailed, you can feel very much the "sinner" if you deviate in any way. For optimum benefit the guidelines need to be followed at least 3 months before you are even planning to concieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 9 July 2012
This is a brilliant book, that gives detailed information of everything you might need to know about having a child. I bought this book after my first pregnancy. And regretted that I didn't buy it before. Then i would have avoided many problems i had with my first pregnancy and during breastfeeding. The second time round i knew what to do, i followed advise in this book, and it was much smoother. I didn't feel sick, no stretch marks, no postnatal depression, nothing. And the second child was a very good weight and was on time, unlike my first child, who came one month early.
Also i followed the advise in this book during breastfeeding. And my second child had no colicks or skin rashes or many other problems that my first child had while i was breastfeeding.
My sister got pregnant after a couple of years of trying and millions of tests. I advised her this book. And it worked for her. Although she didn't follow all the advise, but only make some small changes in her life style.
I think this book is fantastic. What Patrick Holford writes, really works. At first it seams hard to follow the correct way of eating and cooking the food. But if you make gradual changes as time goes, you get used to it. And then you can't go back any more.It becomes your life style, healthy life style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice as always!, 13 Feb 2011
I bought this book for a friend, having already a library of Patrick Holfords books! I trust his advice and have found it of great use to myself, family and friends over the years. I had a quick flick through before giving it as a present and like the way it was set out. My friend loves it and says she has learned lots already and feels so much more confident that she is doing the best for herself and her baby.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 11 May 2010

This is a solid effort but, frankly, I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by it. The book provides solid tips for conceiving and maintaining the development of your baby (including IQ etc). A lot of it is common sense and isn't earth shattering news to anyone of moderate intellect. I actually found the book quite lightweight in some areas, such as miscarriage etc, and lacked brevity. The diet prescribed is a healthy diet with no 'bells or whistles'.

Ultimately, I found the book to be a bit of a rip-off and wish I hadn't bought it. If you already own the 'Optimum Nutrition Bible' then you will be disappointed to find that this book reiterates all of the salient points and doesn't really provide substantial further reading. Thus, the extra cost is not justified, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Holford Optimum Nutrition, 2 May 2013
This has been a bible, brilliant advise for mums to be and on food choices for your little bundle of joy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scaremngering and no actual HELP, 28 April 2013
I'm still not sure how a chapter* telling me that vaccines are dangerous for my special little snowflake really fits with NUTRITION? Also that scientific studies are backing up the dangers of the MMR vaccine??

AVOID

Ps beyond that this seemed more scaremongering about how you will have killed you baby though vitamin deficiencies with practically no recipes or hints and tips. Eat better. Yup. Thanks. Will do.

* Sorry, not a whole chapter. Couple O' pages.