5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a new woman after 2 weeks!
Published on 16 Mar 2007 by Pamela Dillett

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.....
I first bought this book about 6 years ago or so and thought it was really great but lent it to someone and didn't get it back. I recently re-bought the Kindle edition but it isn't the same book. Whether it's now an updated version or not I'm not sure but it certainly isn't as good as the original one I had so I was really disappointed.
Published 1 month ago by julie price

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a new woman after 2 weeks!, 16 Mar 2007
This review is from: Good Gut Healing: The No-Nonsense Guide to Bowel & Digestive Disorders (Paperback)
For about 7 years I've been suffering an increasingly long list of symptoms from digestive disorders to chronic urticaria and sudden, inexplicable rage. I'd chalked it all up to menopause, and was resigned to live with it, despite taking hormone replacements. Then everything got worse to the point where I lived a weekend in terror, convinced I had esophageal cancer because of the horrible symptoms. Doctors couldn't find anything, and my husband thought I was unbearably neurotic. Then I read this gem of a book. I tried light food combining and almost immediately all my digestive problems stopped and I lost so much bloat that I could fit into clothes I haven't worn in years. Again thanks to this book, I discoverd I have candida albicans, and THAT was what was causing all my physical and mental problems. I'm now on anti-candia treatment (right away the painful arthritis in my fingers vanished!), and know I'm finally on the road to recovery. This isn't just a fascinating, well-written book; it's a a life saver (for candida can indeed proceed to life-threatening diseases). Thank you, Ms. Marsden.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to gut disorders for the layperson, 25 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This book is an excellent way to introduce the layperson to their digestive system. The author deals with the most commonly seen gut problems and explains them clearly in an easy to read format. She explains what has gone wrong, what are the tell-tale symptoms, how to approach a doctor, and makes good, practical recommendations for the management of such conditions.
She deals with candida, constipation, food allergies, gallstones, ulcers, bloating, IBS, hernias, haemorrhoids, etc. She relates these kinds of conditions to diet, lifestyle, whole body conditions, etc.
One of the nicest things about this book is the way the author has taken the time to summarise her recommendations with her top ten tips at the end of each chapter. Even the busiest of people will get maximum use of this book as the headers point you easily to whatever information you want.
Also, the author has a sense of humour. I laughed out loud more than once whilst reading this book. The little facts and jokes sprinkled along this book also make this book quirky and jolly. It is a pleasure to read such a book.
Whilst I really liked this book, as an alternative health practitioner, it did not add any new information (pertinent to conditions as I am now more well informed on toilets than I ever thought I would be!) or new approaches for me. However, I would not hesitate in asking my patients who suffer with these problems to go out and find this book. It will help them to understand what is happening in a clear, easily digestible manner. There is a lot of valuable information condensed in this one book that everyone will find useful. With the kind of food available today, most people will find themselves with one form of gut condition or the other, be it at a low level or a chronic, incapcitating level. Thus, I can see why the author wrote this book. If you suffer from any kind of gut problem, then get your hands on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with great advice!, 30 May 2004
By A Customer
This is a MUST READ book if you've been chronically sick for more than just a few months, if doctors tell you "you must be derpressed" and can't seem to find anything wrong with you, and you feel less than 100%. Ms. Marsden has written the book in an easy-to-read, easy-to-follow format. She gives a nice summary of how the digestive system works, followed by sections on several different illnesses usually not recognized or taken seriously by M.D.s (food allergies/intolerances, leaky gut syndrome, parasites, candida overgrowth, etc), and concludes with informative sections on fiber and food, probiotics, and stress. In each section she has a short summary of the problems and its effects on a person, its causes, checklists for symptoms, a list of "top ten tips" plus other helpful hints specially emphasized, an "action list", and an exceptional array of books, external resources, telephone numbers, and internet addresses to check for more information.
If you've been feeling down, sick, uneasy, and just *knew* that something was physically wrong with you, but your doctor couldn't seem to find anything measurable wrong with you using traditional methods, then you must read this book! Many of our current day diseases involve the whole body and the cycle of nutrition-stress-lifestyle, while most doctors seem to forget to look at the human body and mind as one whole. This book will help you see the connection between the different organs and parts of the body to each other and to nutrition and lifesytle habits, including natural remedies and supplements. She also gives advice on how to communicate with your GP and what kinds of tests to request. This book gives lots of helpful tips and advice, organized according to type of illnesses, on how to get better and STAY BETTER! There is also a quick-read chapter on how to start making changes immediately if you don't have enough time to read the whole book. Get it today if you suffer from food allergies, leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, acid reflux, constipation, diverticulitis, and more....

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sensible, easy to digest, book!, 25 May 2005
By A Customer
This is a well laid out book on all digestive issues. It's easy to flick through, the key points are clearly identified and it's full of sensible advice. Unlike other digestive books I've looked at it isn't prescriptive but suggests a trial and error approach saying "most people find avoiding x helps" etc. We're all unique and having one simple solution to something as complex as our digestion is crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and informative, 2 Oct 2009
I contracted tropical food poisoning years ago, and as a result, unbeknownst to me, I became more and more lactose intolerant as time wore on. When things came to a head, I bought this book, and it provided an illuminating, and not at all academic, description of how your tummy works, and how everything around it is connected to it. It also describes each condition in detail (coeliac disease and many more), and what you can do to identify whether you have what she is describing (although she always advises going to a professional which is what I did first) in order to live a happy life.
This book, and what it recommended, certainly made my life a lot better. At the very least, you'll also gain a much better understanding of how your body works, and to be honest, how much of a complex miracle it really is, with so many different things taking place inside you that you had no idea about!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful informative book, 10 Oct 2009
this book has been worth every penny i have struggled with problems for years and now. wow i can eat and i feel full, without pain or discumfort. wish someone had pointed me in the right direction.
my health has improved, just by following a few steps. this book should be recommended by doctors.
keep up the good work Kathryn im waiting for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars All questions answers about bowel problems, 8 Jun 2009
At last a book which contains so many answesr and queries about problems shared by so many today. The book is easy to read and can be used as a home reference at any time, but also it is an excellent guide to the problems one can experience. It is very informative and also puts one's mind at rest when a little worried, with excellent advice such as " consult your doctor if still worried ". A must on your book shelves ! I could not do without it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Jun 2013
Having suffered from various gut ailments for the past 4 years I found this book very helpful. The author is knowledgeable and, if you look past the fact that she repeats herself in different chapters of the book (just in case you choose to read some chapters but not the whole book), there is a lot of sound advice here. The help on offer ranges from simple changes you can make to improve digestion to advising that you should seek medical help. There are sections on complementary medicine, the best foods to eat and a list of stockists at the back of the book. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the gut, but I was wrong. This has become my new gut reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD, 13 Jan 2013
Very good book very interesting if you have problems with your stomach.
If you have had problems in your past this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 24 May 2013
Tells you all you need to know to keep your gut
in excellent condition and avoid all those tummy
pains!