on 13 December 2015
Really loving this book, clear insights, easy to read, a very human and honest perspective on the relationship between therapist and client. There are no biases/power beliefs about the therapist over the client and Yalom's genuine compassion and empathy with his clients is evident. A very well written and easily read (though not simplistic!) book, a real joy to read and one which makes you think and will stay with me. Can be dipped in and out of and I'm sure one which will be a point of reference in the future.
on 31 December 2012
As a client educating myself on the psychotherapy process I found Irvin's insights humane and true. Experience and compassion tell out.
on 25 March 2014
First book of this sort I have read and I devoured it in a day! Interesting and has kind of helped me understand my own therapist.
on 18 January 2016
Irvin Yalom manages to accomplish the difficult task of straddling the positions of respected academic and popular writer. The Gift of Therapy is an insightful and accessible handbook, which offers clarity and insight into the challenge of working with clients. The short chapters mean it can easily be adapted by the busy student or practitioner to be used both as a text book and as a daily readings book.
on 16 September 2013
Amazing wisdom in this book, gathered from his decades of experience. As I'm not a therapist, I skipped some of the more technical therpapy sections, but that did not detract from the fundamental impact it had on me. I was able to think through the notions of death, isolation, meaning in life and freedom in a manner and depth had never done before.
on 28 January 2013
A very honest account of what it is like to be a counsellor/psychotherapist, although very americanised, as in UK we don'y really have gestalt psychotherapy over here, so the group-work info was a bit of a bore, however I must say I really enjoyed finding out what other therapists think and feel about their work. I good, cheap read.
on 11 May 2016
Yalom's writing is brilliant, books worth baying, for a student on counselling degree plenty of useful ideas, it really is like reading letters, easy to find subjects or answer. can not get board as you are not going to read from cover to cover, but rather going back and front and then keep retuning after you have read it.
on 23 September 2013
Every so often, I like to read books for newby's, it prevents you from becoming a too smug a and thinking you know it all; after all who wants a counsellor is is not ready to learn? Yalom's writing is simple and refreshing, I really enjoy his books.
on 14 September 2013
I purchased this book whilst doing Level 4 Diploma in Counselling. Found simple & straight forward in reading & understanding the author's point of view about therapy. A lot of it makes perfect sense. Excellent read for any trainee therapists!
on 22 August 2011
Loved this book. Yalom is so honest in his dealings with his clients. It is really helpful as a therapist to read that even someone as experienced as Yalom can make mistakes along the way but it still makes for a great therapist.